Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Nobody has mentioned the I/O speed on the new iPhone. I think it's still getting USB 2.0 speed through the Lightning connector. There have been rumors online that Apple is investigating a USB 3.0 upgrade for future products... that should make people with large media libraries rejoice.

Edited by HiWire

It's hard to say – Apple doesn't like to discuss those kind of specifications. Flash memory is definitely getting faster, but it does depend on the controller.

If you had, for example, 64 GB of data you'd like to load on your shiny new 128 GB phone, it would take about 18 minutes to upload it at ideal USB 2.0 speeds (probably a bit more, considering the overhead), and a little less than 2 minutes at USB 3.0 speed.

USB 3.1 is also on its way – Apple might skip 3.0 and go directly to 3.1 speed, which is double 3.0's (under 1 minute for 64 GB). It would be a bit of a marketing coup. Thunderbolt 3 is also a possibility farther down the road.

People can only stand to have so many ports on their computers (using the MacBook Pro as an example), so Apple might reduce the number of ports by 1 (eliminate HDMI) first, leaving only USB and Thunderbolt, then bring it down to one kind (e.g., Thunderbolt and use adapters for the rest), and eventually none (all wireless, including charging and headphones). The only people left using cables might be power users with Mac Pros – it certainly would be consistent with Apple's minimalist design ethos.

You can bet they'll advertise it when it happens – I think most people have become accustomed to waiting that chunk of time for the initial load, syncing, and backup, but it will make a bigger difference as media files and apps grow. Wired I/O probably isn't their main priority, since the "average" user may be expected to keep things synced over 802.11ac wi-fi or the new "150" Mpbs LTE.

Edited by HiWire

Lines like "Updates are awful. All you want to do is watch TV and rot in your own filth." and "...it’s like having to change the water in a fish tank. I can’t be arsed: it’s why I don’t have an aquarium. I’d rather let the fish die." prove I'm either too American, not English enough, or he's just an ass. I'm a few drinks in so kinda wishing Bukowski's ghost would find him in an alley.

• Like 1

That photo of the touchable areas of the screen with and without stretch is interesting. I would not be surprised if Steve Jobs used something like that to confirm why his position was there was no way in hell they were gonna make a phone this big.

I really want to be able to use my phones one-handed, but when I'm using my iPhone 6 in one hand and walking with my cane in the other hand I find it very difficult to reach the top left of the screen with my right thumb.

The "double tap" on the home button to drop the screen down halfway is a lifesaver, but still feels awkward after 2 days. And while the screen pops right back up in the place afterwards, sometimes we're not done tapping on things at the top of the screen and then we have to go back to the home button then double tap it again. So I still twist my hand around the phone enough to reach the top of the screen, at the risk of dropping it more easily. But my left thumb was damaged in a big motorcycle accident in 1983, so one-handed operation with my left hand is almost impossible.

I was looking forward to my iPhone 6+ arriving on October 13, after pre-ordering it on September 12 (the website crashed during my order, and when it came back up my upgrade was not available anymore until later in the day), But after living with the iPhone 6 for a few days I am worried that the 6+ really will be too big and I'll have to return it - however, under the advice of the Apple sales person I'm going to give the 6+ a try for a week or two.

My wife and daughters have small hands so none of the girls want the 6 or 6+ because it's too big for them.

ALERT - the T-Mobile no-contract iPhone 6's at the Apple store are unlocked and mine worked right out of the box with my AT&T SIM card when I picked it up Saturday. Regardless, I plan on keeping the unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 6 as our backup phone and selling 2-3 64 GB unlocked AT&T phones in it's place. Note - I have also been reading that the phones actually sold by T-Mobile are still locked.

I'm not personally turned on by the apple hate, nor do I have any hatred toward U2, but this line to make me laugh:

"The album, which I haven’t listened to yet, is terrible: even worse than their last one, which I didn’t listen to either. I don’t want to listen to any U2 albums in case I discover I like them, and have to violently reassess my own self-image."

• Like 1

A co-worker showed me his new 6. I have to admit that the curved edges make it feel much smaller in hand than it is, and even two minutes with it had me comfortably using reachability mode. The experience has left me sad I have another year until I'm eligible and doubting the 6+ will be too big for an all-in-one device.