What did you do today?

riceboy

It is very interesting reading what you are doing as a tourist in DC Shelly. Apart from a few of the museums that I've been to a million times, I never really know what to do in DC. That Pizzeria Paradiso place was mentioned to me a couple months ago but I have still not had a chance to try it out. Need to get around to it next time I'm in Dupont.

Today I'm going to try to best my personal max of 13 hours of practice in one day with - you guessed it - 14 hours.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al, those pictures make me homesick. All my kidhood friends are doing their annual upstate Michigan get together right about now. I wish I were there.

Dan, is the allergy thing part of the sleep thing or completely separate? Feel free to tell me to mind my own business. I'm just curious.

Allergy testing

Dan are they doing the RAST blood test as well? We have found the skin tests tended to throw off more false positives or at least show a high allergic reaction for environmental substances that were basically benign. The RAST test can overstate ones sensitivity but at least it gives you a quantitative reading which my wife and our allergist prefer. Just my two cents. I would be interested in the substances you test high positive with and if it would indicate changing your diet. Wheat barley and other grain sensitivities would be a bummer for you.

It is very interesting reading what you are doing as a tourist in DC Shelly. Apart from a few of the museums that I've been to a million times, I never really know what to do in DC. That Pizzeria Paradiso place was mentioned to me a couple months ago but I have still not had a chance to try it out. Need to get around to it next time I'm in Dupont.

Today I'm going to try to best my personal max of 13 hours of practice in one day with - you guessed it - 14 hours.

Museums are also fun and we saw a few of them but I get a little tired of them quickly.

Jeez, 14 hours seems like a long time to practice in one day!

My day largely consisted of sleeping in and doing research on my family tree at the National Archives.

Not today, but this past weekend I consumed my first beer. Well, it was technically a beer, sort of. Solidarity with my best friend, who is now recently no-longer-engaged, 2 hours after the fact.

Magic Hat Wacko. Seems to use beet sugar for fermentation. I feel like I should have been in an episode of Doug.

**BRENT**

Shelly, I do believe you have now seen more of DC than I have, even though I lived within an hour of there for a decade. I occasionally got the notion "hey, it would be a good idea to go to DC", followed by the question "to do what?", so I usually just stayed home or did something around school.

Talked with my family for the first time in a few weeks, found out my mother had exploratory surgery yesterday. She is doing OK, but they didn't find what they were looking for unfortunately.

Tourists always see more of DC than I did, even though I've lived in the area my entire life. I did see a bit when I was a kid, but mostly the Smithsonian. I have gone back and revisited Air & Space a few times, a few others, and the Spy museum is still on my list, but really, I'd go mostly for the socializing (I.E. without-of-town visitors). Pizzeria Paradiso, Lost Dog Cafe, and Black Squirrel are a couple of places on my list. Weird how they all show up on the Ratebeer.com proximity map -- Pizzeria Paradiso being walking distance from work (I don't think it's in Dupont Circle, I think that's Georgetown, innit?).

Dan, feel free to talk about your allergies, I do. I sure hope it's not "air".

Colin -- here's to hoping there's nothing to find, if that's possible.

Tourists always see more of DC than I did, even though I've lived in the area my entire life. I did see a bit when I was a kid, but mostly the Smithsonian. I have gone back and revisited Air & Space a few times, a few others, and the Spy museum is still on my list, but really, I'd go mostly for the socializing (I.E. without-of-town visitors). Pizzeria Paradiso, Lost Dog Cafe, and Black Squirrel are a couple of places on my list. Weird how they all show up on the Ratebeer.com proximity map -- Pizzeria Paradiso being walking distance from work (I don't think it's in Dupont Circle, I think that's Georgetown, innit?).

That describes my DC experiences almost to a 'T', plus Constitution Hall once to see Opeth.

It is definitely possible, she has lost around 120lbs and has some sort of pain in her abdomen that got worse after she had her gall bladder out. They are currently looking at doing basically just a nerve block to the area, and there is some thought that it is pain without any real reason. Unfortunately, with pain like that, there is no way to be sure, but numerous nuclear medicine tests and now the exploratory lap surgery have shown nothing.

After work, leaving for a 10 day driving camping trip to the Rocky Mountains with the family. That would include our two 5 year olds, plus we're meeting another family there, and they have a 4 and 1 year old. Could be the basis for the next National Lampoon movie.

It will be a few years, but MOA Michigan will be epic and fun. Lots of room and water and beach and dunes and trees and shit. Must plan now for the future...

Wow Al, sounds fantastic, but wont the beer need to be trucked in from FFFs???

Well I would drive up for that. Since I would have the pick-up and FFF is pretty much on the way, we're good to go.

Finished searching 300 acres of barley for oats. Moved some cattle. Tested an electric fence (ow). Got covered in cow-shit water and blisters digging a horrible hole in stony ground for a water trough. Shovelled a lot of grain.

Last day on the farm tomo. I don't think I'm cut out for this kind of labour anyway.

Spent the first five hours of the workday trying to concentrate (unsuccessfully) on the work at hand while waiting for the other shoe to drop, stemming from unexpected turn of events that began yesterday morning. Now I've got three and half more hours to go before I can get back to the comforts of my home.

Dan, feel free to talk about your allergies, I do. I sure hope it's not "air".

There are 2 Pizzeria Paradiso's in DC, one in GT and one in Dupont circle. Don't know which is better. I'll have to try out Lost Dog Cafe and Black Squirrel when I back for work in September.

There are 2 Pizzeria Paradiso's in DC, one in GT and one in Dupont circle. Don't know which is better. I'll have to try out Lost Dog Cafe and Black Squirrel when I back for work in September.

2 Amys > Pizzeria Paradiso. They used to have La Chouffe on tap before the Mid Atlantic distributor went tits up. Spent so many afternoons in there. Perfect pizza, perfect beer, perfect happiness. Anyway, the pizza's still good.