What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wimpy Texans. Weather sounds like Chicago to me.

Odd day today, but as far as my personal life it was all good. Had a hearing in which the other side was begging for more time for trial and a different trial and wah wah wah! Court ended up sticking to the process we had in place but giving them more time. Not ideal for my client but it means that my summer is not all about trial and I can go to CanJam with a lot less stress and can actually go on vacation with my family. All good.

Wimpy Texans. Weather sounds like Chicago to me.

Odd day today, but as far as my personal life it was all good. Had a hearing in which the other side was begging for more time for trial and a different trial and wah wah wah! Court ended up sticking to the process we had in place but giving them more time. Not ideal for my client but it means that my summer is not all about trial and I can go to CanJam with a lot less stress and can actually go on vacation with my family. All good.

:prettyprincess:

Umm, I would not pack those winter clothes. It has been hot and humid (the humidity is terrible, but then again, I'm from CA), in the 80s with 70% humidity. I wouldn't worry too much about being cold.
You do realize you're talking to people from Florida, Texas, and Scandinavia, right?

More a case of what did you do this week?

Executive summary: playing Uncle to Joanne's visiting 18 year old niece.

The long weekend looked promising, a few chores on Saturday (replacing some full 1TB drives with new 2TB drives, haircut , car service) Take it easy Sunday, Host a BBQ for some Brits on Monday.

Joanne checks her email Saturday evening to discover one that says

"Plane lands 4:30pm Sunday - look forward to seeing you then!"

Hang on a minute, Didn't her father say she was coming in late June, for the 4th July weekend?

Yep, checked the email - that indeed was what he said.

Updated him on his daughters revised plans, only to get the response "oh well" .

Sunday morning was a blur tidying up the spare room / office / dumping ground converting it into a guest bedroom in a few hours, rather than the planned few weeks post can jam.

Trip down to SFO via Costco to pick up said niece. My how she's grown :)

This is a brief stop on her round the world "Gap Year". She managed to part finance it by replenishing supermarket shelves on the night shift for four months. Thats motivation for you.

She wants to be a(n animal) Vet, so since leaving the UK in February she has volunteered at Australia Zoo - Home of the Crocodile Hunter - “Conservation through Exciting Education” (Australia Zoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), Learnt to surf on the Gold Coast, then spent two months at Esther Honey Foundation in Cook Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

She is now with us, until the end of the week when she continues to LA for two month with Gibbon Center Home

So Monday I played tourist with her, visiting The Marine Mammal Center : Home while Joanne prepped for the BBQ. I was then on grill duty (Chicken, Salmon, Eggplant, Potato Wedges) which went down well.

Back to work on Tuesday , while she took the Ferry into SF. Complained that SF was cold and that it was the first time in the last four months she'd warn long jeans (rather than skimpy shorts ;) )

Today was supposed to be my Pre Can Jam Prep Day, but it was her turn for some serious retail therapy, having been "stuck" on a tropical island for two months. :)

Went to the Apple store to show her the iPad, whereupon she contacted her Brother on Facebook to say "This is being sent from an IPad, hells yeah!" :)

More retail therapy continued as I went home to pack to the flight to Chicago.

Kids today, Know what they want, travel round the world, keep in touch via Facebook, have their own travel blog, want an iPhone for their 19th Birthday. Can you blame them?

It's been fun, but has made me feel somewhat old. Youth is wasted on the young!

Never mind, Its Can Jam this weekend, I wonder if that will make me feel old, or young again?

Tell you all about it there!

Absolute chaos in the English lake district yesterday. We were there three weeks ago, and my son two weeks ago. Yesterday a lone gunman went on a shooting spree and killed 12, injured 25 of whom 4 more are in critical condition.

Divorced 52 year old taxi driver with children, living with his elderly mother. Everyone who knew him saw him as a regular guy who enjoyed a beer or two with friends in the pub - in a village with a thousand or so population.

Starts by shooting two taxi drivers, his solicitor and his brother - and it went on from there - drive-by shootings in tiny villages. Eventually, like all shooting spree killers, he eventually turned a gun on himself in woodland near another small village called Boot in upper Eskdale.

Last week two 16 year olds were killed in a coach crash - and one of their funerals was in progress in one village when the police show up in force persuing the shooter, who had just killed a couple in that very village.

This is all exceptionally wierd - we have the toughest gun laws in the world after Japan, and the Lake District has the lowest crime rate in the UK. Totally and utterly safe, the sort of place that some years ago people would leave their houses unlocked so that friends could just come straight in.

Looks like the guy had a license for both his guns (a hand gun, and a .22 rifle with telescopic sight), no record of anything wierd about him - just pow, some switch went off in his head.

^^ Holy shit. :o

To give you an idea of the sort of place this guy was gunning people down, he finished his spree and popped himself here Boot, Eskdale, Cumbria

Other places he killed his victims are:

Gosforth, Cumbria

Egremont, Cumbria

Seascale, Cumbria

Which gives a good idea of the scale of wierdness of all this - none of the places involved had populations much over a few hundred. He came from a place called Rowrah, which has about a dozen houses.

If it's in the 60's, I will be wearing some sort of jacket. I am a wimp. We had a high of only 90 degrees with a "real feel" of 104 today, I thought it was pretty nice.

You're a true Texan Shelly, I'm finally reasonably comfortable. :)

Absolute chaos in the English lake district yesterday. We were there three weeks ago, and my son two weeks ago. Yesterday a lone gunman went on a shooting spree and killed 12, injured 25 of whom 4 more are in critical condition.

Divorced 52 year old taxi driver with children, living with his elderly mother. Everyone who knew him saw him as a regular guy who enjoyed a beer or two with friends in the pub - in a village with a thousand or so population.

Starts by shooting two taxi drivers, his solicitor and his brother - and it went on from there - drive-by shootings in tiny villages. Eventually, like all shooting spree killers, he eventually turned a gun on himself in woodland near another small village called Boot in upper Eskdale.

Last week two 16 year olds were killed in a coach crash - and one of their funerals was in progress in one village when the police show up in force persuing the shooter, who had just killed a couple in that very village.

This is all exceptionally wierd - we have the toughest gun laws in the world after Japan, and the Lake District has the lowest crime rate in the UK. Totally and utterly safe, the sort of place that some years ago people would leave their houses unlocked so that friends could just come straight in.

Looks like the guy had a license for both his guns (a hand gun, and a .22 rifle with telescopic sight), no record of anything wierd about him - just pow, some switch went off in his head.

Wow! That's really aweful. These things still shock me, though I'm not sure why.

Spent the first half of the day taking it easy with wife and the baby (well, as much as one can take it easy while taking care of a newborn). When I left for a grocery store in the afternoon, it got interesting. About a mile away from home, my check engine light came on then the hood started smoking. I pull over and turn off the engine and by this time, a melon sized ball/bubble had formed on the hood right above the engine while smoked had intensified. Neighbors and a passerby came out to help and after smoked had died down mostly, we open the hood to find smoldering piles of what looked to be like nests. It appears that in the few days I hadn't driven the car, some small animal had decided to move in under my hood. Fire department eventually came and proceeded to spray my car with water to make sure nothing was still on fire. The car was then towed to a town yard as it is now considered a "car fire" and I'll be calling my insurance company tomorrow to file a claim/figure out what's going to happen next.

Spent the entire day without internets (the horror). Spent several hours on the phone with cable co's tech support. Spent $106 on a new cable modem. Scheduled an appointment for a line tech to come out on Saturday. Moved a marble top dresser mum wants to sell. Went grocery shopping. Moved a bookcase upstairs in my house. Made dinner. Got the $%#@ internets working ...sort of.

Finally more or less have the ESP10 in usable condition, with a good 7 hours spare to go before I leave for the airport. I started soldering and stuff very dizzy and unclear in the head, and now I am still both of those things and starving and my head hurts. And I somewhat burned my fingers.

Heard from a family friend (his daughter and ours are the same age, yada yada) who was in London, turned out he had time for a visit on his way back to the airport (we're just a few miles west of Heathrow). Great to see him, and in addition a rare treat to make an espresso for another straight-espresso drinker like me who makes his own and knows the attention that goes into making a good one. He had three, which I take as an endorsement. We all went out to the farmer's market, which is just around the corner from us on the first Saturday of every month. Came back with a good selection of breakfasty baked goodies plus a kilo or something of amazing-looking fresh strawberries.

There was headphone talk too. He travels with HD25-SP and ER-6i and was open to suggestions. I made some.

Went to the gym after our friend left, then the bookstore. They didn't have what I was looking for but I wound up talking with the author who was doing a signing, and came home with one of his books. Stopped and chatted with our friendly local wine merchant on the way home, picked up a bottle of chilled prosecco to go with the strawberries.

Missed you guys and CanJam. :(

Installed larger one of the two window AC units we own - it hasn't been too bad temperature wise, but it's been so friggin' humid. It's a day/week like this we wonder why we didn't install central air (then we remember that we use AC for less than 10 days a year).

Following the rain and flood we had yesterday (again) I washed the car and then headed for the hospital to visit with my almost 82 year old father in law who has pneumonia. He is doing well and in good spirits, he is expected to be discharged tomorrow.