What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. It's good to know a bloke who knows a bloke sometimes.

I also now have what might be pre-emptively termed a business partner. And the pencil plan as it stands is to have the brewery up and running and the first commercial product out the door within 30 months. Personally I think that a very high goal, but that it can be done.

Things are moving fast in various directions and nothing is set but the wheels are turning and it is all very very exciting.

Good luck Doug, and if things fall into place Mary and I will be visiting you in 30 months whether you want us or not. I owe Mary a tour de Europe and thirty months from now fits my budget. Good luck and I hope things fall into place for you.

A December 2012 HC cross pond meet seems to be a good idea, speaking for myself of course.

Belated post - several days to catch up on.

Last Thursday: stood in line at the local O2 store for an iPhone 4. Wasn't too bad: arrived about 100 minutes before opening, took another 50 to get inside and complete the transaction. From there, about 4 hours until the old phone deactivated, and about 4 more until the new one activated.

Last Friday: attended Caffe Culture / World Barista Championship 2010. LOTS of fun. Also lots of coffee. I think I had six espresso shots, two cups of drip, and a cup of Turkish - no big deal for some people but my normal dosage is one ristretto a day, so for me it was a lot. Amazingly, I actually slept that night, but I went coffee-free throughout the weekend just to detox.

iPhone 4 was my only camera at WBC. In case you're curious to see how it performed, the full-res MobileMe gallery is here, or you can see my Flickr set (which is lower-res but includes commentary).

Monday: saw Mrs. episiarch off to Paris where she's getting the new Apple Store Opera ready for its Saturday opening. Tomorrow baby episiarch and I go to join her. Hoping to be able to get out to Patricia Barber's concert in Enghien-les-Bains on Thursday evening.

P.S. Team Chicago, you* ruled the World Barista Championship. Congratulations!

*(In the person of Michael Phillips of Intelligentsia Coffee - Video of the champion being announced - Additional Mike Phillips video)

I also now have what might be pre-emptively termed a business partner. And the pencil plan as it stands is to have the brewery up and running and the first commercial product out the door within 30 months. Personally I think that a very high goal, but that it can be done.

Things are moving fast in various directions and nothing is set but the wheels are turning and it is all very very exciting.

Sounds amazing Doug!

But beware head brewer syndrome. Mrs S is an accountant, but way back when she was an audit junior she was on the stock check team of a local brewery. She was warned not to approach the head brewer until the afternoon until he had done a good session of "sampling" and was not suffering from the after effects of the previous day's sampling.

I've had an infection on knuckle of my finger for over a year. Finally had it looked at yesterday, and the doc scheduled surgery to have the cyst removed today. Just arrived back home with no feeling in the finger. Now waiting for that to wear off - and see what the pain level is.

Bonus - it's the knuckle on the middle finger of my right hand. Get to legitimately flip people off for the next two weeks :).

Friday I spent all available daylight hiking to and from the highpoint of Sourthern California, the 11,500ft San Gorgonio Mountain; then driving back to a more civilized part of LA, out of the dilapidated shithole called San Bernadino.

dsc6147u.jpg

Sunday we had a nice little mini-meet with LFF, Edwood, Jasper994, and Zippy2001:

dsc6204q.jpg

dsc6174.jpg

dsc6179s.jpg

Followed by a trip to 5 Guys which turned out to be a bit too ambitious for Ed:

p1000032j.jpg

p1000033a.jpg

p1000036za.jpg

Wow! What a ride you're on. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Hi craig. I found your post by googling paddy glenny - an old friend and neighbour from my childhood. biwent to new marston county primary and magdalen college school with him and knew him to be a great eccentric with a passion for machines. Having tasted his first homebrew around 1973, I was amused and then impressed when I found him, many years later to have become a master brewer. For many years I kept a bottle of his "little gem" special ale as a memento. aleI was a bit shocked by the end of your message. Has he really been killed by a grizzly? I had been emailing him at the brewery in nelson but have had no reply. Please let me know.

My name is Peter Clark