What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not rocket science...or is it?

That is my stock phrase to team members when things aren't happening quick enough: "C'mon guys - this isn't rocket science. Wait a minuite....".

This instrument is a real pushing-the-envelope thing. There are two X-ray imaging spectrometers (to look at the chemical makeup of Mercury's crust) mounted on a 1 meter long optical bench. There is also an electronics box with a multi-output switched mode supply and a data processing unit on a 14-layer circuit board. Total weight is 8kg (17lbs).

It has to be seriously radiation hard too. In order to do the science, the sun has to be spitting out x-rays, which only happen when the sun is in an active phase - when it also throws out massive amounts of radiation. One consequence is that FPGA chips, which are normally around $10, cost $19,000 each in the space qualified grade necessary.

That is my stock phrase to team members when things aren't happening quick enough: "C'mon guys - this isn't rocket science. Wait a minuite....".

This instrument is a real pushing-the-envelope thing. There are two X-ray imaging spectrometers (to look at the chemical makeup of Mercury's crust) mounted on a 1 meter long optical bench. There is also an electronics box with a multi-output switched mode supply and a data processing unit on a 14-layer circuit board. Total weight is 8kg (17lbs).

It has to be seriously radiation hard too. In order to do the science, the sun has to be spitting out x-rays, which only happen when the sun is in an active phase - when it also throws out massive amounts of radiation. One consequence is that FPGA chips, which are normally around $10, cost $19,000 each in the space qualified grade necessary.

I take my hat off to you sir. This is absolutely amazing, you're doing something that will contribute to all of mankind, not only for this generation, but for future ones as well. Great great stuff!

Doing a little audio recon for myself.

Heads-up on a DAC not mentioned much here | Computer Audiophile

I bet everyone here to a man already knows exactly what that thread's going to be about without even clicking on it. It's amazing. Every audio forum I've lurked through I almost invariably see something like that. Pretty damned impressive viral thing going on there although Head-Fi has to far and way the worst I've seen with that.

Yesterday evening went through to Edinburgh and met up with Dave (Mercuttio) and his wife who were on their honeymoon. Absolutely lovely people. Toured a few pubs and met with a friend who lives in the city. Missed my train back to Fife at 23:xx so met up again and bantered until the pubs closed at 1. Wondered around the streets freezing my ass off and trying to find a loo until the train station opened again. Got the 5:30 train back. Went to bed at 7.

An awesome night. Now the young couple are away to Glasgow, trying to stay ahead of the Pope.

Yesterday evening went through to Edinburgh and met up with Dave (Mercuttio) and his wife who were on their honeymoon. Absolutely lovely people. Toured a few pubs and met with a friend who lives in the city. Missed my train back to Fife at 23:xx so met up again and bantered until the pubs closed at 1. Wondered around the streets freezing my ass off and trying to find a loo until the train station opened again. Got the 5:30 train back. Went to bed at 7.

An awesome night. Now the young couple are away to Glasgow, trying to stay ahead of the Pope.

Sounds mint, Doug. I want to "wonder around" those streets with you one of these nights. :P

Just got a call from my sister-in-law. Both she and my mother-in-law live in Forest Hills. Her apartment was damaged pretty badly and her car destroyed but she is OK. 4 people in her building were killed. No damage to my mother-in-laws building except a little plaster falling from the ceiling. The weather patterns they are a changin'.

Just got a call from my sister-in-law. Both she and my mother-in-law live in Forest Hills. Her apartment was damaged pretty badly and her car destroyed but she is OK. 4 people in her building were killed. No damage to my mother-in-laws building except a little plaster falling from the ceiling. The weather patterns they are a changin'.

Good Lord! Thank heavens your family survived in tact! I know the damage to the apartment and car is a PITA, but under the circumstances I'd say they did rather well.

Good luck folks, I also didn't realize things were that bad.

For me, I had my phone screen. Seemed to go well, tho the job isn't perfect for my experience, so we'll see. My goal is to do both that job and the job I have now for 6 months, so as to build up some buffer, and pay off debt to be able to handle the new, reduced paycheck going forward.

For me, I had my phone screen. Seemed to go well, tho the job isn't perfect for my experience, so we'll see. My goal is to do both that job and the job I have now for 6 months, so as to build up some buffer, and pay off debt to be able to handle the new, reduced paycheck going forward.

Hope it all works out for you!