CanJam 2009 Impressions, Pics, Parties, etc...

Asr

Wow what a thoroughly great and exhausting weekend. This was a superbly organized event and the California crew (jpnums, 909, Iron_dreamer, LFF, augsburger, Jasper994 and Edwood) did a great job and always went the extra mile to make sure everyone had a great time.

Still, the best thing was meeting everyone. It was truly amazing but all the HCers that I met for the first time were exactly like their online persona's, goes to show you the value of open discussion.

I apologize for not saying so long to everyone on Sunday evening. But in my defense, it was 2:30 AM, I was a slow walking zombie, I did have to leave for the airport at 4:30 AM. I'll buy you all a round next year (or sooner) to make up for it.

Another big question:

Did Jacob and Jude sign an armistice?

I think these have now been retitled, "The Basement Talks".

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IEMs - JH13. Jerry Harvey is back. The Head Master Chef of Ultimate Ears now has his own restaurant and has cooked up a new masterpiece (along with his other menu items). He has an amazingly diverse and large custom IEM line up. From a $399 Custom all the way up to his Flagship $1099 JH13. I have serial #1 heading my way in the near future. ;)

Better than ES3x? What's the sound signature like? One of the reasons why I put off getting the ES3x is the JH13 coming out, so very much looking forward to a comparison when you get your #1.

More than listening to gear, I just had a great time meeting HF and HC members :)

The organization of the meet was absolutely top notch and the community presence was ming boggling.

The HD800 were very unique in that they could sound so different in so many setups. I thoroughly enjoyed them in a balanced configuration on my B52 and look forward to ordering a pair in the future.

The balanced R10 out of Andy's SDS-XLR, the HE90 out of Neils ES2 were absolutely amazing and I had ample opportunities to listen to them as my setup was in the same Catalina D room.

I was almost ready to completely go offline as when I powered up my rig, I tripped the breaker and everyone in the room lost power. This happened three times before I finally was able to have the hotel services daisy chain 2 extension cords to power off a completely different circuit.

Edips Reks stopped by and mentioned the extra gain on the setup. Switched the 12ax7 pairs (Mullard CV4004) for a pair of 12AU7 Telefunken smooth plates and he was much happier. I just had the extra gain to mitigate some of the meet conditions. Great guy to talk to and we exchanged some of our audio philosophies...a very pleasurable personality and he really had some great audio insight...always fun to hear!

Anyhow, the HD800 and the JH13's are probably on the plate for me as I think they were some of the best sounding units at the show. One of the best I heard the HD800 was when Neil and I went up to Jude's room Saturday night. He had the Lavry DA11, a Raptor, the new top of the line Cardas cables and a power plant premier all hooked up.

Absolutely amazing. Jude likes most of his headphones through the Luxman amp he owns, but the HD800 were best to his ears on the Raptor and he didn't know what was the real reason here. Maybe the OTL design, but the HD800 were just spectacular here. Neil and I both were taken aback by how nice this was sounding. Maybe because the pair was broken in so well for the past 3 months that Jude owned it. Also, there were no meet conditions here....so whatever it was, the sound was heavenly with some Cowboy Junkies, Damien Rice and some MFSL tracks...all lossless through iTunes. The digital crossfeed on the Lavry DA11 was a total trip. Absolutely brilliant!

I loved every tiring minute of CanJam and hated the Monday morning blues.

Oh one more thing, the Ultrasone Edition 8's sounded so much better than the 9s. I did an AB through Rudi's RPX 33 which was right there next to the Ultrasone table. Putting on the Edition 9 brought back memories and reminded me why I had sold them. Edition 8 were a totally different story though...a more refined headphone to my ears.

My good friend ServingEquador won the Ed. 8 in the Raffle and I was so happy for him. Couldn't imagine a better person to have those! He had absolutely no clue they were $1500 headphones! He found out later when he checked at home and almost fell out of his chair. hehee

Here was my setup/table:

img0559.jpg

Wow what a great meet.;D My girlfriend and I enjoyed ourselves so much over this weekend. It was great to meet and chat with new people and some i've met before.

Thank you Andy for sharing some space to safely stash my O2s and other goodies I brought while I wandered around from room to room. Al it was very nice meeting you, you were very kind and gracious to point me and my girlfriend out to the nice pre-meet friday night, as well as the whole meet. And of course, everyone that organized, and attended the meet, it was a world class event, thats for sure.

Shit, I just gave my own stuff a listen, and it all sounds like garbage! DAMN YOU CANJAM!:sadcat:

After reading these great impressions (Iron_Dreamer is my idol! ;D), my stuff sounds like garbage too! And I wasn't even there!

Wow, JH Audio, HD800, HF-2, Audeze, Smyth Research... it's too much, resistance is futile...

Can you say more about the TTVJ/Pete Millett portable? I don't recall seeing it in any pictures.

I had the millet portable before and wasn't terrible impressed. It's decentish sounding for a portable amp, but on the move the tubes would clank against the chassis pretty frequently or something would if not the tubes. That pretty much makes it non-portable for me and when you place it in the transportable category it faces pretty stiff competition.

Can you say more about the TTVJ/Pete Millett portable? I don't recall seeing it in any pictures.

I had the millet portable before and wasn't terrible impressed. It's decentish sounding for a portable amp, but on the move the tubes would clank against the chassis pretty frequently or something would if not the tubes. That pretty much makes it non-portable for me and when you place it in the transportable category it faces pretty stiff competition.

The new TTVJ portable designed by Millett is not a hybrid and has no tubes. It is a very slim amp that is similarly sized to an iPhone and even thinner. I believe it uses a *similar* volume control to the Pico Slim with a wheel that also has a color-changing LED that cycles from red to green to yellow or something based on the volume setting. I stupidly did not hear it but it is cool looking and Pete said it can drive Senn cans or IEMs nicely.

P1014006.jpg

That has tubes in it?

I won the Millett in the raffle but if it isn't far superior to the LaRocco PRII I will sell it to help fund the JRpro 13s or a Buffalo, or better yet both. The Manley Labs gear was very good, EveAnna and Chris were just the coolest people to talk to.

Edited by Augsburger

Epic caption fail! :palm:

That's the first thing I noticed, too. :basement::basement::basement:

A few pics ahead of that one:

Speaking of tubes... Evanna Manely with the Manely Labs integrated and iPod dock.

Manely... heh

There were lots of misspellings and a couple of outright errors. We are not impressed with PFO's editing skills. :confused: