JH Audio stuffs

atothex

In relation to the earlier amp discussion, I'm looking at possibly trying a TTVJ Slim but I've read that it can have a bit of hiss with sensitive IEM's, for those who own it or heard one with 13Pro's can you tell me if there is any hiss at normal listening levels?

Does anyone else wish that the JH13Pro mids were a little fuller and the bass was a little tamer? I have to be more selective lately about what I drive the JH13Pro with in order to enjoy them to the fullest, which is more noticeable ever since I got the Westone ES5. They're great, but I think the sound needs to be tweaked just a little bit.

I'm really feeling like this low bass hump on the 13's has too much of that "omnidirectional subwoofer thump", which for example distracts me from the pluck and note of an acoustic string bass. It almost makes it sound like someone is amping the string bass, instead of just recording it with a microphone. The thump doesn't seem to be coming from the instrument itself, but from somewhere else. My iPhone 4 headphone out seems to roll off below 25-30Hz and this bass hump helps a little with that, but it's still somewhat intrusive. Of course I'll take this any day over the boosted mid-bass hump of my UE11Pro. I'm still surprised that some people feel the need to have a JH16Pro with extra bass.

The 13's mids are very nice, but sometimes I feel like grabbing my most forward sounding amps to richen up and liven up the vocals through the 13's. While the ES3X sounds pretty forward and "on stage", the ES5 sounds just right at "1st row", while the JH13Pro seem more like 5th - 10th row (like the UE11Pro). It's not really recessed like a "mid-hall" Denon full-size phone (or Darth Beyer, or Proline 2500), but I'm just starting to feel like something is missing there with some of my music (depending on the amp).

Despite the mids, I have preferred the JH13Pro over my ES3X because of the much bigger and improved soundstage or sense of a larger space, and I wouldn't want to see that go. But somehow the ES5 still offer this spacious sound without pulling back the mids too much. The mids are less of an issue than the bass for me, so it's just a mild concern. Normally I would just say the 13's are a little laid back sounding like my O2 Mk1 (which I like better on a more forward sounding amp as well).

I really only like to use my Pico Slim amp when I am out and about, and not my other "fat" amps which are too big for a pants pocket, but the JH13Pro don't sound as good with my Slim as my ES3X and ES5 do because the bass is bumped up even more through it. Everything sounds much better if I drive them with my maxed Woo WA6, but that isn't very portable at all. :P

So, I'm curious what you guys think about this, and what sources or amps do you like best with the 13's? And do you have other high end customs to compare your 13's to?

Me neither. (-X3?)

Have you tried other tracks of the same album but different editions of the music? Perhaps it was the recording itself? I have found my JH13's to have an excellent balance of mids and bass, not too forward on the treble or mids, bass not laid back but just right on the speed and prat. I have been "surprised" though when playing certain tracks I haven't listened to for a while that the instrument placement seems to have moved a bit or become less clear but always determined later that it was a version of a cd that I have multiple copies and releases of. Like some of the Coltrane and Monk stuff or a Norah Jones recording that Luis tweaked for me.

Ultimately Larry it always comes down to "to each his own". I like 'em and feel they have good balance, you make prefer a different flavor. You can get a room full of us together listening to a MBL system and I would bet you would have a variety differing impressions. Worse yet get a bunch of HCers together in a room with a pair of Merlins playing and I am sure a brawl would break out. *shudders*

Me neither.

Also, I never quite got the concert hall analogy with headphones. No matter which headphones I'm using, I always feel "on stage", with some headphones having a more present sound than others. With that said, 5th-10th row is where I like to sit, so that could explain why I'm not looking for the same sound as HPA.

I was coming out the gym and had them around my neck. I tripped over my big feet, kinda lurched forward (very attractive) and they fell off, hitting the pavement. The left earpiece just cracked open. I know I can get them fixed, but they were a custom color that I was already told won't be made again as it took two hours, and the fit was perfect. I'm sad, and now have no headphones at all for the gym. Sucks.

Does anyone else wish that the JH13Pro mids were a little fuller and the bass was a little tamer? ...

I'm really feeling like this low bass hump on the 13's has too much of that "omnidirectional subwoofer thump"...

Room treatments? :P

OH, C'MON...it was there, what am I supposed to do, pretend like I didn't notice?

I was coming out the gym and had them around my neck. I tripped over my big feet, kinda lurched forward (very attractive) and they fell off, hitting the pavement. The left earpiece just cracked open. I know I can get them fixed, but they were a custom color that I was already told won't be made again as it took two hours, and the fit was perfect. I'm sad, and now have no headphones at all for the gym. Sucks.

they just fell on the ground and cracked open? or was there any force/weight involved?

pretty damn brittle if just a fall to the ground makes them spit their guts out...

Sorry HPA I do not hear what you are hearing. The jh13s are probably the most pure and accurate things ive heard through the midrange especially regarding tone. The tone in the voice and guitar is perfect to my ears and I am very happy with the bass reproduction (the 16's sounded too bassy to me but the 13's are right near the middle balance for bass output).

they just fell on the ground and cracked open? or was there any force/weight involved?

pretty damn brittle if just a fall to the ground makes them spit their guts out...

~4-5 ft of height is a decent distance for something to fall. There have also been others over on HF whose JH13s suffered a similar fate.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

damn didnt know they were that delicate. is the owner responsible for such accidents (rebuild costs etc) or are they covered under some weird clause of the warranty? starting to get more and more reasons to cancel my jh16 order - the first few being 6 emails and 3 phone calls that havent been replied to and this is after i have already paid of the jh16s...seems like im in the camp of the few that have had to deal with shitty customer service but i have been extremely polite in all my messages. perhaps i need to try to use stronger language.

I've dropped mine a bunch of times. Most of the time without a problem. They have fixed mine each time without a question. They never asked if anything happened to cause the problem.

CJ, sorry to hear about your problems. I haven't had the same experience but you shouldn't either. I can only say that my JH13's have been worth the trouble i've had.