Another One Bites The Dust: SDS-DOA

Voltron

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al, sorry about the amp.

My advice would be to look for a local tech, I am sure there are many. I would look at a local high-fi shop. Some have repairmen. I used one at a place called Brooks Berdan (here in LA) once for the Audio Note.

My amps seem ok (fingers crossed). I do however have one casualty, the HE90 gets static on the right side when i jiggle the wire going into the connector (amp side). I guess several people were wondering why it is folded in half entering the connector and were trying to fix it.

Hard to say what killed the amp, but I don't really know why the meet would have anything to do with it. Maybe the tree falling into the power lines yesterday did something. I might try to open it up, but damn there are lots of hex screws top and bottom. Need some advice on that front.

BTW, Grahame, I hate cats but that kitteh looks cute.

Al, sorry about the amp.

My advice would be to look for a local tech, I am sure there are many. I would look at a local high-fi shop. Some have repairmen. I used one at a place called Brooks Berdan (here in LA) once for the Audio Note.

My amps seem ok (fingers crossed). I do however have one casualty, the HE90 gets static on the right side when i jiggle the wire going into the connector (amp side). I guess several people were wondering why it is folded in half entering the connector and were trying to fix it.

I am definitely looking locally. Nice of those helpful people to fuck up your HE90s for you. :palm::basement:

moving the amp likely was not the problem, think about tube guitar amps and the abuse they take. Most likely bad timing and incorrect spec'd parts killed the amp not a 650 mile van ride.

You're probably right, but the guitar amp comparison isn't a very good one, imo. I doubt Mikhail builds his stuff for touring.

Anyways, my condolences on the unfortunate events, Al. If you manage to find a good tech, hook me up with a number. :)

Andy- what about Blackie Pagano?

Blackie was a nice guy and he fixed my amp but it was not painless. He took awhile until I paid his rush fee and then he returned it with the volume knobs all out of whack and a replacement bias knob which looks ridiculous. I did not ask him to change the knob, just tighten the one that was there.

It also seemed like he didn't want to get too dep into the project, he has plenty of guitar amp repair business.

This really sucks, Al. Very sorry to hear it.

Should be an easy fix, though - just take it to the van rental peeps, and have their "AV guy" fix it. They are so scared of you, I'm sure they will do for free.

Flying Nate out for a long weekend is the only reasonable thing - of course, thrice, Vicki, Mike, Matt, and I will need to come too to fetch beers, scotch, gin, and ice while the project proceeds.

Edited by agile_one

Too bad I have the family with me, or this would be fun to look at and document, as I'll be in the area for the last two weeks in July. Anything in the area that I could sidetrack the family into doing without me? :)

Send the family to Fisherman's wharf while you and Al get together.