The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Used a couple of the Vinyl Engine protractors to check my setup today and found that my cart has been pretty significantly misaligned. :-[

Don't think I've used it enough to do much damage, happily. And the vinyl setup sounds quite a bit better now that it's (more or less) correct. So I'm going to chalk it up to experience.

Also have the Hi-Fi News test record on order now and am going to do more work on some of the other parameters when that arrives.

Still slouching toward Bethlehem...

One good thing about all the arse-ing about -- the sound from the analog rig is now by far the best its ever been. I'm amazed at just how much difference getting the table set up right and the cart dialed in better has made. I mean, yeah, I'd heard people say sweating the details was the key with turntables -- but always rather dismissed it as the gospel of tweak for tweak's sake. Once again, happy to admit error. :)

Must play ... more records!

the hi-fi news test lp will give you a lot of confidence in your alignment. The anti-skate tests at the end of side one pretty much reveal all. If you can sail smoothly through the third test, your alignment is outstanding. Nobody sails smoothly through the fourth test. :D

i also like the one that I think tests cartridge resonance, with the british guy saying things like "20 hertz".... "40 hertz"... "1,000,000 hertz!" and the buzzing sound keeps getting louder and more high pitched. its pretty exciting!

My newest acquisition (pics of actual unit):

tmpphpwx21by.jpg

tmpphp7uxsn2.jpg

tmpphplcuwsa.jpg

tmpphpwc3hiy.jpg

tmpphpz6hg2v.jpg

No cartridge installed as I haven't taken it off the other Thorens 125 I have (which will be put on sale).

The above is a fully reconditioned, rewired Thorens TD125 in custom plinth with reconditioned SME 3009 tonearm.

That's so hawt that FHM rang me up and said their readership all got so hard it's sore.

They're demanding high rez pics to relieve the situation.

That's so hawt that FHM rang me up and said their readership all got so hard it's sore.

They're demanding high rez pics to relieve the situation.

I've got hi-rez pics (2816x1880), but I'm not sure bandwith can handle so much hotness. Confirm/Deny

Also, I have the Herbie mat. Should have taken pics with that one instead... grumble grumble...

tmpphpz6hg2v.jpg

No cartridge installed as I haven't taken it off the other Thorens 125 I have (which will be put on sale).

The above is a fully reconditioned, rewired Thorens TD125 in custom plinth with reconditioned SME 3009 tonearm.

Ohhh.. very nice.... I see an SME 309/IV/V in your future >:D

tmpphpwx21by.jpg

tmpphp7uxsn2.jpg

tmpphplcuwsa.jpg

tmpphpwc3hiy.jpg

tmpphpz6hg2v.jpg

That guy does amazing restorations, I plan on getting one for myself.

Wow. That's pretty. If the guy on Agon doesn't work out, I think that Prospect Plastics makes dust covers locally. I've never seen their work, though.

Thanks, I will get quotes from possible merchants, see what is best. Now, just your opinions, do you think I ought to get a cover that covers the plinth as well, or one that sits on it (it will have to have something to prevent scratching, obviously)? I know the size different will add to the cost, not to mention I will need cutouts in the back for the RCA and power cables if I decide to cover the plinth.