Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got those two albums from The Monkey:

Thao with the Get Down Stay Down - Know Better Learn Faster

thao.jpg

The Feelies - Crazy Rhythms

thefeelies.jpg

Excellent picks, because they're both very different from what I usually listen to. I listened quickly to the second one the other night, but I was coming from a party and was a bit drunk so I don't have an opinion yet. I gave a couple of spins to the first one though and I like it. Indie-ish music with a weird experimental edge, it sounds very fresh. Thanks for the gifts Dinny!

Just got a wrapped gift from Derek at the office this morning. Looking forward to opening it up tonight!

Woot! I am glad it arrived and sorry about the late shipping. Happy New Year?

I feel that my selections are conventional at best, but it's something that I enjoy and thought you might as well.

Neko Case was my safe choice for you. However, when you get a chance let me know what you think of Chor Leoni. Looking forward to opening the package. I'm sure I'll enjoy them!

I ripped it last night into ALAC and will listen tonight. I'm looking forward to it.

:)

(The Secret Meeting - Ultrashiver (cover art) Frost - Melodica (cover art)

Received from Asr :D Enjoying the first one right now. Kind of like it ;) Thanks!!!

Was wondering when you were going to post. ;) I actually don't own a copy of Ultrashiver yet, I discovered that CD while browsing around Amazon and thought you might like it based on some similarities to Massive Attack. Will be getting my own copy of that one soon.

Have checked out the CDs you sent, they're both really nice, I like! :) Would never have found them on my own.

I have been playing the d4305ec1447b149ab41cb80a4708a77c.jpg

Enrico pieranunzi-Fellini Jazz and a Genetic compilation CD constantly since Christmas morning. Both CDs play very well with my system, a lot of stage presence and detail.

While listening and enjoying the music I just had a strange feeling of familiarity to the music. Upon reading the cover notes I noted Charlie Haden and Paul Motion are part of the quintet. I will be searching out more of artist.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://keep4u.ru/imgs/s/2009/06/16/d4/d4305ec1447b149ab41cb80a4708a77c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://interlacingshadows.wordpress.com/category/jazz/pieranunzi/&usg=__7vLMEaXelSbfCxo9Y84anSPeOqQ=&h=316&w=320&sz=12&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=77vHQNAI6-cSFM:&tbnh=117&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3Denrico%2Bpieranunzi%2Bfellini%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Thanks Dany, merci beaucoup!

Though I've had them for a while, I wanted to post the excellent choices Nate sent me:

2009-06-10_sarah-jarosz.jpg

Awesome recording and hard to believe she is only 17!!

And:

51Y6TQZCS7L._SS400_.jpg

on vinyl. Unfortunately, the vinyl rig is in hibernation until some new living arrangements are squared away. But it will be the first thing listened to when the rig is reassembled.

Thanks Nate!!

x4! Thanks for running the HC exchange, Steve. :)

While listening and enjoying the music I just had a strange feeling of familiarity to the music. Upon reading the cover notes I noted Charlie Haden and Paul Motion are part of the quintet. I will be searching out more of artist.

I started to note that Paul Motian was most famous for being in Bill Evans' trio and that he played with lots of greats, and then I got distracted on Wikipedia and cut and pasted a few things, including his work with Charlie Haden (not one of my faves but great in his own way). I have and like a fair number of the recent recordings he has done, and I highlighted those because I think they are a nice start. Also well recorded, so that is nice. I should check out more of his early stuff as a leader. Anyway, happy listening.

As a leader

* Trioism (1993) JMT

* I Have the Room Above Her (2004) trio ECM

* Time and Time Again (2006) trio ECM

* Garden of Eden (2006) ECM

With Bill Evans

* Portrait in Jazz (1959)

* Explorations (1961)

* Sunday at the Village Vanguard (1961)

* Waltz for Debby (1961)

* How My Heart Sings! (1962)

* Moon Beams (1962)