Google Android OS

manaox2

Weird. Mine doesn't do that at all. Maybe a reboot? Play with the settings in 'Input and Languages' (home screen, left virtual button, scroll half way down.) ? Same thing happen in both horizontal and vertical view? Maybe Uninstall and reinstall?

Edited by jvlgato

I have now returned to the stock Google voice feature for phone dialing. I can't remember why I rejected it first time around. It doesn't do anything but dial contacts, but it does that very well and doesn't hog resources or do anything bad, so I think I'll stick with it.

I turned on the feature that keeps the screen alive as long as you're looking at it. It actually works and doesn't chew up battery. Pretty cool.

And I finally have a case/skin that I'm happy with. It's a cheap polyurethane case with a couple strips of dense neoprene stuck on the back. Now I can handle the phone with some confidence. Depending on how you count it either cost all of ten dollars or sixty :-)

I'll post some pictures when I don't have a sleeping cat on my lap.

Edited by CarlSeibert

• 1 month later...

Well, I need another solution for Note II -> USB OTG cable -> USB DAC -> etc. (amp, headphones, whathaveyou).  If I run towards the ends of my battery life, I need access to that orifice to charge, so I either need a Y cable a la this (except Note II, though I'm not sure that isn't going to be exactly the same thing) or the dock (which is 10x more expensive, but I was planning on getting anyway for the HDMI functionality -- but technically I could just get another Y cable that did HDMI for that, and I'd still be up US$80.  But I still wouldn't have multiple USB functionality, so I guess what I'm asking is -- talk me into or out of getting the dock, please.

And...go.

So I'm really way behind with the times apparently. With the note ii dock, could I use an external USB DAC?

woah, so I can just get one of these usb otg cables:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mini-USB-OTG-Host-cable-lead-for-Archos-Home-Tablet-7-/261251996699?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Chargers_Sync_Cables&hash=item3cd3d51c1b

and run a pico straight from my note 2? has the world gone insane?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG7LjVCj50Y

shows you how far behind I am on portable audio.

Edited by postjack

Yep, but you can do that with an OTG USB cable too. I think it works many DACs, but maybe not all of them.

**BRENT**

gotcha, just updated my post right when you were replying. thanks for the confirm.

as good a reason as ever to pickup a pico in the coming months.

Yeah.  But I noticed an oddity today -- I plugged in a HRT MusicStreamer II, and it didn't work, even though it saw a USB device connected.  Rebooted the phone and it worked (I knew it worked because it had worked before).  So it may not just be a matter of plugging it in.  I've seen multiple reports that USB Audio Recorder Pro will work in cases that stock software and UI will not.

The only reason I don't have the dock is because I haven't seen it in stock... and this is ME! Why don't you have the dock already? It's an elegant solution to your problems.

/me waits to see the Mindless Consumerism thread update properly...

Yeah, don't hold your breath.  I mean, not unless you can hold it for two weeks.

The dock has been in stock more than not ever since a couple months after all our promotions expired.

Everyone's use is different, but I primary use tablets for long text lately (Kindle, Readability, etc.). I still have my major issues with Android, but go to the 1G Nexus 7 over the 1G iPad for that use. I'd say pixel difference is especially noticeable there. Playing games, watching Netflix or Hulu+, etc. not so much.

Believe that's the first Nexus 7. According to Google and Apple and the current offerings....

Google: 290g

Apple: 308-312g

Not huge difference of course, though if Apple went retina for their next version would be curious if they could match/lessen.