slower forum

Knuckledragger

Naw, I gotta go with her on this one. That's a fucked up image of manhood. Just my view however.

I don't agree with his views on manhood either (not in the least) and certainly didn't mean to imply that I did. Although I love women, I've never felt the need to sleep with 4,600 of them to prove something to myself or anyone else, and don't think that would have changed in any significant way had I been rich and famous.

But I do think there are a lot of men who have these sorts of base instincts and attitudes, yet they're afraid to be honest about it because it's not politically correct to be a self-absorbed prick. That's exactly what he is and he doesn't attempt represent himself any differently.

Why is she so shocked and horrified by this? She had read his book, no?

I don't agree with his views on manhood either (not in the least) and certainly didn't mean to imply that I did. Although I love women, I've never felt the need to sleep with 4,600 of them to prove something to myself or anyone else, and don't think that would have changed in any significant way had I been rich and famous.

But I do think there are a lot of men who have these sorts of base instincts and attitudes, yet they're afraid to be honest about it because it's not politically correct to be a self-absorbed prick. That's exactly what he is and he doesn't attempt represent himself any differently.

Well, people have a lot of base instincts and attitudes that are publicly criticized. I know political correctness is commonly attacked, but at least as dangerous is rewarding people being "true to oneself" with a status of critical protection. Fuck, every asshole I've known is pretty true to themselves. An the other hand if 4,800 women want to sleep with him bless them all.

I didn't think TG was horrified. She may have expected to be able to conduct an actual interview, being an interview show and all. Mostly I think she wanted him to stop pretending for sec. There's no way that's the real him as there's no way he could interact with other humans his entire life, be professionally successful, have multiple daughters, etc.if so.

Gotcha, Then we agree. He most certainly does not misrepresent himself, I'll give him that.

^ I guess what I'm saying is that I wasn't impressed with either of them. He's obviously a turd. But it wasn't terribly good journalism on her part, and I've heard her do a lot of great interviews.

It would be like if she interviewed Steve, and had read a book about his life, and then suddenly was all shocked and horrified that he was gay and had slept with a lot of men, and even more shocked and horrified that he wasn't ashamed to admit it, or that he even felt proud about it in certain ways, or found satisfaction in it, etc.

Now, mind you, the analogy breaks down quickly when considering that Gene was being and out and out ass, and was way over the top in his efforts to get her goat; he didn't give the listener anything to like about him other than his brutal (albeit offensive and self-indulgent) honesty; whereas Steve would undoubtedly show other aspects of his personality, which would offer the listener something more, something that they could like about him even if they weren't able to identify with certain particulars about his personality and lifestyle.

So it's not that I disagree about Gene. He failed miserably in giving the listener anything to like about him, but I think he did so intentionally.

That she got sucked into it and became defensive took away from the opportunity she had to actually get to the bottom of what was driving these behaviors and attitudes, and to see if there was anything else inside of the shell of a person she was speaking to. In other words, I think she was complicit in the failure of the interview in the sense that she helped to feed the audience with contempt based on her (and their) standards. Instead of delving deeper into his psyche when it started to turn in that direction, she instead choose to ask him about inane bullshit like how he paints his face and if/how he breathes fire.

^ My point in using Steve in the above example isn't that he is gay, but that it would be a fact (whatever that fact might be about someone, that Clyde Barrow was a bank robber, or that Tiger Woods was a cheater) that she as an interviewer would be well aware of and thus well prepared for in advance. Obviously, she was expecting Gene to give a "normal" interview by showing some sort of remorse or reticence about the way he had lived his life because it didn't measure up to widely accepted societal standards.

Well, people have a lot of base instincts and attitudes that are publicly criticized. I know political correctness is commonly attacked, but at least as dangerous is rewarding people being "true to oneself" with a status of critical protection. Fuck, every asshole I've known is pretty true to themselves. An the other hand if 4,800 women want to sleep with him bless them all.

I didn't think TG was horrified. She may have expected to be able to conduct an actual interview, being an interview show and all. Mostly I think she wanted him to stop pretending for sec. There's no way that's the real him as there's no way he could interact with other humans his entire life, be professionally successful, have multiple daughters, etc.if so.

Well put, Ric. Agree with your points as well, and do think that's what she was hoping for, to have him drop his armor for a moment and quit pretending (in certain ways). But he was bound and determined to fight it out until the end. Thus, he was obviously being a complete ass by not letting her take control of the interview process.

Edited by Wmcmanus

^ My point in using Steve in the above example isn't that he is gay, but that it would be a fact (whatever that fact might be about someone, that Clyde Barrow was a bank robber, or that Tiger Woods was a cheater) that she as an interviewer would be well aware of and thus well prepared for in advance. Obviously, she was expecting Gene to give a "normal" interview by showing some sort of remorse or reticence about the way he had lived his life because it didn't measure up to widely accepted societal standards.

No need to explain. I thought it was a great analogy, and I came away understanding your point of view much better because of it. I think you make a good point.