May 17, 201313 yr comment_577134 Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell - Old Yellow Moon I was not aware of this collaboration. Thanks! Report
May 17, 201313 yr comment_577162 The Neighbourhood - I Love you Nice find, digging this. (It's weird how arbitrary I am about what I will sample...I love the cover, even though I have no idea how an upside down house represents "you", except with the chimney it kind of represents the lower case 'u'.) Prior to that I was listening to Damone -- femme-fronted power-punk-pop with some glam (read: hair metal) influences, including the look-at-me guitar solos. Report
May 17, 201313 yr comment_577174 Gold Fields, Black Sun -- groovy dance alternative, a la Remain in Light-era Talking Heads, !!!, etc. Report
May 17, 201313 yr comment_577197 Thanks Dusty. I was surprisingly impressed by it as well. I have no idea how the house represents a "you" either. Its either something brilliant or an awkward stretch (open door). Report
May 17, 201313 yr comment_577203 Looking through their catalog, it looks like the upside-down house is on all their EP's and singles as well, so it may represent both 'U' and 'The Foundation'. All India Radio, Red Shadow Landing, self-titled, and others. Report
May 17, 201313 yr Author comment_577205 Joe Satriani - Unstoppable Momentum I'm liking this one. Its sounds like his earlier stuff. He keeps it simple, genuine and amiable. This. And I like it too. Report
May 18, 201313 yr comment_577330 Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City Well holy shit, I think Vampire Weekend might have the best album of the year hear. No kidding, I'm shocked. I have listened to only a smidgen of their earlier work, and certainly didn't think they were capable of greatness, but this is fantastic. "the gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out, what you on about?" EDIT: and the vinyl sounds pretty damn good as well. the mix is a bit messy (by design) but mostly the midrange comes through beautifully Edited May 18, 201313 yr by postjack Report
May 18, 201313 yr comment_577391 Before: Jacques Schwarz-Bart - Rise Above (2010) Now listening to Julia Fischer & Tonhalle Orchestra cond. David Zinman - Dvorak and Bruch violin concertos Report
May 20, 201313 yr comment_577675 I will have to listen to that Julia Fischer tomorrow, I didn't realize she had done the Bruch (one of my more favorite violin concertos [alright, one of the few I know, ackshully]). Oh, and apparently she's done the paganini caprices as well. Wow, I'm like half a dozen albums out of date... But right now I am listening to Just Tell Me that You Want Me (a fairly recent Fleetwood Mac tribute by "alternative" artists)...can't wait to hear Billy Gibbons & Co. doing "Oh Well". Report
May 20, 201313 yr comment_577676 The Joy Formidable -- Wolf's Law Edited May 20, 201313 yr by Hopstretch Report
May 20, 201313 yr comment_577677 Before - Cool for School -- a benefit album, with many school-themed songs During - Ella Enchanted soundtrack -- I'm in a silly mood, it's got a bunch of 70's pop radio era covers on it ("Don't Go Breakin' My Heart", "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing", "Strange Magic", "Somebody to Love" -- pretty much my 7" singles collection) After - Gonna sample a bunch of The Neighborhood's "related artists", as per Spotify/Last.fm/etc. Report
May 20, 201313 yr comment_577685 Dusty, the Bruch's is one of my favorites too. What's your favorite rendition? Report
May 20, 201313 yr comment_577714 Oh, gosh, I don't know, probably the Heifetz on RCA Living Stereo, just because Heifetz. I tend more towards listening to all sorts of renditions rather than trying to pick a favourite. I just rule out bad renditions (which is rare, I tend to like whichever one I'm listening to at the moment). I've probably listened to the Midori more than any other, because I picked it up early in my SACD collecting. The winner is me. Report
May 20, 201313 yr comment_577719 LOL, it must be more than a coincidence that I rarely have a favorite rendition of most works. Except with the music that doesn't entice me much, so my liking depends more in the playing than the own music. Now listening to Elmo Hope - The Allstar Sessions Report
May 21, 201313 yr comment_577792 Gazpacho is good stuff Me: Namlook/Montana - Labyrinth -- synthetic ambience priorly listened to Fischer's Bruch -- verah nahs. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.