What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

The Neighbourhood - I Love you

d322ad2fcb5331d6cf7d5246ebe0b1e1.jpg

Nice find, digging this.  (It's weird how arbitrary I am about what I will sample...I love the cover, even though I have no idea how an upside down house represents "you", except with the chimney it kind of represents the lower case 'u'.)

Prior to that I was listening to Damone -- femme-fronted power-punk-pop with some glam (read: hair metal) influences, including the look-at-me guitar solos.

Vampire-Weekend-MVOTC.jpg

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

Well holy shit, I think Vampire Weekend might have the best album of the year hear. No kidding, I'm shocked. I have listened to only a smidgen of their earlier work, and certainly didn't think they were capable of greatness, but this is fantastic.

"the gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out, what you on about?"

EDIT: and the vinyl sounds pretty damn good as well. the mix is a bit messy (by design) but mostly the midrange comes through beautifully

Edited by postjack

I will have to listen to that Julia Fischer tomorrow, I didn't realize she had done the Bruch (one of my more favorite violin concertos [alright, one of the few I know, ackshully]).

Oh, and apparently she's done the paganini caprices as well.  Wow, I'm like half a dozen albums out of date...

But right now I am listening to Just Tell Me that You Want Me (a fairly recent Fleetwood Mac tribute by "alternative" artists)...can't wait to hear Billy Gibbons & Co. doing "Oh Well".

Before - Cool for School -- a benefit album, with many school-themed songs

During - Ella Enchanted soundtrack -- I'm in a silly mood, it's got a bunch of 70's pop radio era covers on it ("Don't Go Breakin' My Heart", "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing", "Strange Magic", "Somebody to Love" -- pretty much my 7" singles collection)

After - Gonna sample a bunch of The Neighborhood's "related artists", as per Spotify/Last.fm/etc.

Oh, gosh, I don't know, probably the Heifetz on RCA Living Stereo, just because Heifetz.  I tend more towards listening to all sorts of renditions rather than trying to pick a favourite.  I just rule out bad renditions (which is rare, I tend to like whichever one I'm listening to at the moment).  I've probably listened to the Midori more than any other, because I picked it up early in my SACD collecting.

The winner is me.

LOL, it must be more than a coincidence that I rarely have a favorite rendition of most works. Except with the music that doesn't entice me much, so my liking depends more in the playing than the own music.

Now listening to Elmo Hope - The Allstar Sessions

t6aYLzE.jpg