And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I've cancelled my entire afternoon and evening patients in anticipation of what they are calling a blizzard of historic proportions. Quoting the weather service:

UNNECESSARY TRAVEL SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING AS MORE THAN HALF OF THE FATALITIES IN PREVIOUS ILLINOIS BLIZZARDS HAVE OCCURRED AS A RESULT OF TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS. BEFORE MAKING THE DECISION TO TRAVEL... CONSIDER IF GETTING TO YOUR DESTINATION IS WORTH PUTTING YOUR LIFE AT RISK.

I gave people the option to 'visit' by phone, which three have accepted. Except that I'm coming home to send the nanny home, so I'll probably be at home alone with two 6 year olds. Should be interesting.

Bracing myself for the epic shitstorm that's already dumping on NE. Meanwhile, the plumber is my basement, cackling like a madman. :blink:

The pipes leaving our kitchen sink and laundry got completely stopped up last night. I am hoping my plumber is at my house right now, as promised, because otherwise, no plumber for a while! I guess I should be glad it happened last night, rather than tonight or tomorrow ...

Got home from work and shoveled so I can park my car. Considering icing my left hand/wrist to relieve some pain and I won't be able to find out the reasons behind the pain for bit longer now that my doctor has canceled the appointment for tomorrow. Trying to gauge when I'd need to start shoveling again in the morning so I can be at work by 7.30. Why in the fuck didn't I get a snow blower this winter?

It's more the temperature than the snow, so I would base your decision on that. 20 is still below freezing, so the question becomes how long will it remain below freezing.

I read that below freezing is ok (at least if it it just overnight) for pipes but when it gets around 20 (at least in southern states where houses aren't built for cold weather) overnight, you have to start worring.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Edited by shellylh

I read that below freezing is ok (at least if it it just overnight) for pipes but when it gets around 20 (at least in southern states where houses aren't built for cold weather) overnight, you have to start worring.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Shelly,

If you're really worried about pipes freezing (I haven't kept up with this thread) you could leave the water running just a little bit overnight. Moving water doesn't tend to freeze, this is an old camp trick when things get cold in the fall before you've shut everything up for the winter. Yes, it's a complete waste of water but a ruptured pipe could waste a whole lot more.

I think I will do that (keep the water running a bit during the coldest times of the night). By the way, do you just need to drip one faucet? This is what we did last year when we had a hard freeze - the same time we woke up and noticed that our neighbors sprinkler system was spraying water all over the street because it froze. I just went and covered all the exposed pipes outside and tried to cover up the vents to under the house (with towels) that get the most wind (we have a pier and beam house and most of the pipes under the house are not insulated).

What went from "I might be getting sick" two days ago to "I'm definitely getting sick" yesterday is now "kaff kaff I'm not getting out of bed." That said, I did manage to go out and complete the Herculean task of fetching firewood. Now the stove is piping and I'm not going anywhere KTHX. Fortunately, I have Minecraft to consume my very existence keep me occupied.