And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

2 hours ago, ktm said:

160 years after the Civil War and people who hear 

me talk call me a damn Yankee. Welcome to human nature.

To be fair, carpet baggers did a number on the south.

3 hours ago, ktm said:

No winning move there anymore. No logic, just name calling.

There's a lot of things wrong on both sides. You can only hope

someday that everybody decides to get along. But people hold

on to grudges. 160 years after the Civil War and people who hear 

me talk call me a damn Yankee. Welcome to human nature.

Thank you, agree on all counts.  No, I did not seriously even think about calling him an anti-Semite.  But I have to argue with either side's use of the word, "genocide".  The populations of both sides are in the millions, the death toll on both sides are in the thousands.  Neither come close to genocide.  Now, THAT I wish I had thought quickly enough to say.  But yeah, there's no (easy?) way out of this mess.

14 minutes ago, ktm said:

The worst part was it was an 80 year old little old lady.

You can't really respond back in any meaningful way.

I tend to disagree with this idea. 

You might not change the mind of an 80 y.o., but it's been my experience that elderly people are more likely to make blanket statements with no real basis in fact. They tend to believe that just because they were raised with a specific belief that makes it a fact.

I almost always push back on that. As I expect someone to do if I follow that idealism later in my own life.

One of my real fears of growing old is that I loose my sense of open mindedness.

I wish I could still flow with the water. I used to wish that about 5 times a night. However, something in one of my current meds has reduced that to usually no more than twice a night. I miss the nights of 8 hours sleep without ever getting out of bed.

• Haha 3

I really don't get the "holocaust didn't happen" crowd.

My dad was a wwII vet. The 14th armored division liberated

a bunch of the camps. One of the few things about the war

He ever told me about. And he made sure I understood the

horror of what he saw. He said he would never forget the gut

wrenching smell of it either. I passed this along to both of my

sons. If I ever have grandkids, they will hear it as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ktm said:

I really don't get the "holocaust didn't happen" crowd.

Yeah, me neither.  It's right up there with 9/11 didn't happen, moon landing didn't happen, and the earth is flat.

And to be clear, I am not saying that something terrible isn't happening in Gaza, I'm just explaining my issues with -- let's call him Marley -- Marley's ham-fisted closed-mindedness.

A lot of Holocaust denial seemingly doesn't really question the larger events, but tries to chips away through doubt on lesser specifics (numbers slightly off or how they apply to different groups, log errors, legality issues, even "justifications" due to Germany's financial state post-WWI, etc.).

I'd caution against doing similar dismissals when claims like genocide are made now. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Yeah, me neither.  It's right up there with 9/11 didn't happen, moon landing didn't happen, and the earth is flat.

And to be clear, I am not saying that something terrible isn't happening in Gaza, I'm just explaining my issues with -- let's call him Marley -- Marley's ham-fisted closed-mindedness.

05z7B3KMxe3FWjAaqmPTCGo-4..v1569491072.p

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, justin said:

05z7B3KMxe3FWjAaqmPTCGo-4..v1569491072.p

I think a large factor in this is that most people over 54 remember the space race and followed all the moon missions on TV.  The middle age group were told about them mostly by their parents.  The youngest age group were mostly told about it from their grandparents.  The moon missions are the acme of human space exploration.  Looking at went on with space exploration in the last 30 years or so, I can understand why the young might not believe in a manned mission to the moon.

Or just seeing how stupid our current leadership is (Murican, Russian, and British, mostly), and wondering how on earth it would even be possible to achieve orbit without blowing up the astronauts, the ground crew, and the entire Florida panhandle.

No one trusts anything anymore. Much of what comes out of 

Government and the press has proven to be iffy. Often two

Media outlets give out info that's 180 out of phase from each 

Other. And of course the internet is even worse. Our 

Leadership was always bad. It just has become more obvious.

Fox and Msnbc  are examples of extreme bias. Damn I miss

Walter Cronkite. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Couldn’t disagree more. News is the best it has ever been and there has never been more transparency from governmental entities in the US. You have to look for good sources, but they are out there. Usually not on TV.

Edited by TMoney
  • Confused 1

On 5/19/2024 at 10:32 AM, TMoney said:

Couldn’t disagree more. News is the best it has ever been and there has never been more transparency from governmental entities in the US. You have to look for good sources, but they are out there. Usually not on TV.

As someone of the age that grew up listening to Walter Cronkite, and trying not to sound condescending, I'm not sure you can relate to what us older folks consider to be unbiased reporting. 

I'm only glad that he doesn't have to see what TV news has evolved into.

Are there good news sources out there?

Yes.

Are they unbiased?

Hell no!

Edited by swt61

Ok, boomer. 😉

On a related note, it is truly insane to me how many people exclusively get their news from social media or other algorithmic sources these days.

I feel like a dinosaur still reading newspapers that I have to pay for!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1