KGSS Problem

RockCity

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voltron, if you haven't grasped the transitions already I'll spell it out for you. My only question to Justin and other Stax experts in the beginning was the explanation to the hum. I've received similar suggestions to check the ground wiring or the ground loop or the power transformer. This was very helpful though I was inexperienced.

Then you and several other others decided to derail the issue by targeting the build quality of certain components. To me this was a non-issue and a separate issue to the hum because regardless of the backward components it was intended to make the amp work. Whoever installed the components had the inside knowledge to know that such modification was needed for this particular unit. Again, I did not feel the build configuration was relevant at all to the hum. The reason is the unit was heard by many at the meet. Not one meet, but many more I can assume. This confirms the least that regardless of the build quality the amp worked this way. Secondly, this may also suggest that the humming is a new issue or else it was likely that one or more person may have flagged this issue earlier. I would like to see your extensive list of those who have tin ears so I can be careful in the future.

Voltron, you and others had derailed the thread and engaged in negative criticism. Why did I bring up the plate cover on the third page when I've noticed the issue much earlier? It was an obvious hint directed that the unit had its components installed in such fashion for a long time e.g. the match wiring. Consequently, it worked for a long time and that the seller may have not known anything about what's inside and had no reasons to check. Put differently, I wanted to state that the status quo of the amp had nothing to do with a possible new issue. Of course, it was hard to state directly to Dr. Gilmore and to others when I have no expertise compared to them. I even stated earlier in page three that transaction included the statements that the amp had not been opened to Danny's knowledge.

Justin confirmed in the most recent page that the wiring configuration was the correct method for this unit. This confirms to me, at least, that the build state had not been changed and had nothing to do with the hum. Voltron if you or other DIY had decided to repair the amp, would you have tried to contort the components first? The fact it remained in such a state declares exclusivity to those who had the inside knowledge.

Voltron, I cannot believe I have to type this out step by step to someone almost trice my age. If you are a lawyer, always assume innocent until proven guilty and not vice versa. Instead you throw your accusations to the seller and to me while holding Justin's hands. Justin does not need your defense, he can do it himself. Ironically, you confuse your criticisms with mine and that is what hurts Justin. Who started shitting "I don't know shit, but how could it be correct to switch the ground and output pins on a voltage regulator?" How about "I still don't know shit, but the board would have to be screwed up to call for a part with pins 1-2-3 to be soldered 1-3-2."? Did I once criticize these issues?

Voltron, your arguments are anachronistic and you are reading the threads backwards. It's easy to assume I have an ulterior motive when YOU paved the thread towards criticizing the build. Be the adult and stop reading my posts and go back and read your own.

Yeah, my first instinct is rip that statement to shreds and line up all the ways it is wrong. But I am already trice his age and not getting any younger so I think Pars has the right response. Whatever, and for the last time, just do what you're going to do and leave us out of it.

Yeah, my first instinct is rip that statement to shreds and line up all the ways it is wrong. But I am already trice his age and not getting any younger so I think Pars has the right response. Whatever, and for the last time, just do what you're going to do and leave us out of it.

Angry Al isn't Angry. WAT.

I hope you're saving up some epic blows for another time.

Voltron, you never had to be in it but you decided to be a heckler. Subsequently, you pulled a non sequitur and complied these allegations. Please, let me see the rest of your instincts if they are as marvelous as your first.

I already decided before you pulled your diatribe that I will not send the amp to Justin, due to his answer "the fastest thing to do is just switch the circuit boards with new ones & install the DACTs". I already stated "Justin, I will be rescinding my request since the your suggestion is more extensive than I imagined."

So Voltron, who else is there to leave out? Justin? Or the person who keeps responding?

Fingerprints? Age and conditioning match? Basic detective? Look, Rockford Files, your comments have proven exactly what I was saying. You have been convinced since the beginning that Justin is "to blame": "I think no one fucked around in the amp. It was Justin's work." This belief is irrelevant, but also inconsistent with your detective findings. Although you are wrong that I suggested the amp was opened multiple times, it is clear that somebody opened it after Justin shipped it because there is zero chance he would have shipped it upside down and backwards. Zero. That means it was opened at least once and nobody knows what was done, what might have failed in 8 years, etc. None of this shit matters to anybody but you.

If I were to attribute an ulterior motive to your actions here, I would suggest that you suspected this amp was early work by Justin that didn't look up to his current standard and that if you posted pics and insinuations then he might be embarrassed into updating it for you for free. I'm not saying that was your goal, but given your belief that this is Justin's work, all you had to do was send him a PM or email with the pics and ask him if those conditions were in the original amp when he shipped it 8 fricking years ago. That would be a straightforward way to get answers and perhaps find out if he were interested in checking it out and/or updating it for you.

Instead, you went through all of this hoopla and drew a lot of attention to your alleged plight. You're not going to get any traction here, or any free work, or anything else. Just decide what you're going to do and do it.

Al I am behind you on this. Well said.

RockCity I'm sorry, but you haven't shown yourself to be a contributing member of this small community that you can show up and start requesting help from KG, Justin, etc.

This really isn't a support forum or recommend me forum and like Al says this should have been taken up privately.

Here is the welcome PM if you weren't around when it was sent

Voltron, you never had to be in it but you decided to be a heckler. Subsequently, you pulled a non sequitur and complied these allegations. Please, let me see the rest of your instincts if they are as marvelous as your first.

I already decided before you pulled your diatribe that I will not send the amp to Justin, due to his answer "the fastest thing to do is just switch the circuit boards with new ones & install the DACTs". I already stated "Justin, I will be rescinding my request since the your suggestion is more extensive than I imagined."

So Voltron, who else is there to leave out? Justin? Or the person who keeps responding?

Look youngster, you're just digging a deeper hole. Justin Bieber will sound pretty much the same on any amp, so your query really isn't that important anyway. Trying to talk shit to our good friends will win you a permaban pretty fucking quick over here sweetie. Now go outside and play like a good boy.

Edited by swt61

I think it's time for you to go back to the other site.

The thread has already ran its course. Thanks for the genuine answers that tried to troubleshoot the issue.

Last time I checked, Bieber did not compose Detroit Rock City.

Edit: The relationship ends with the track title and user handle. I do not listen to metal but the name reflected my interest for AC/DC, Neil Young, and other groups at the time. Dream Theater is the closest thing to metal to me.

Edited by RockCity

Hey, look, I found a recent pic of RockFord:

DSCF0123.JPG

I don't know shit, but how could it be correct to switch the ground and output pins on a voltage regulator?

And is it in backwards?

I still don't know shit, but the board would have to be screwed up to call for a part with pins 1-2-3 to be soldered 1-3-2.

And digger reminds me that it looks like the input pin is not connected or not adequately connected but the picture isn't clear.

How is that heckling, dumbass? I said I don't know shit because I am not a DIYer or an EE, but it was clear that the part was soldered in an unusual fashion. You'll also note -- if you use your oversized detective magnifying glass -- that I said it could be soldered that way because the board was screwed up. And what did you think people were going to do when you post a bunch of pics of the components and ask them to find/fix your problem for you?

I was wondering about all the flipped parts myself, as i have an identical

unit with the same revision of the boards. No flipping on the pins of

the regulator. No crossing of the diodes on the input fets either.

Clearly the +15 is not being regulated with the regulator wired like that.

Measuring that voltage would give you the answer, likely +18 or more

and unregulated and filled with hum.

Was Kevin Gilmore heckling here too?

the issues with the crossed wires for the diodes, and the crossed legs on the +15V regulator were to correct board layout errors -- this was a prototype board. this is likely the first KGSS ever built, sometime around the end of 2003. the build quality is obviously not indicative of a current model. i do not remember if the Alps potentiometers were the original volume controls.

by the way, everyone is always the 2nd or 3rd owner.

a while ago Asr was selling a pair of HD600s, and I think he said he was the 2nd owner. Just for fun I traced the pair's history on the Head-Fi for sale forums. I was able to trace it back to 9 or 10 owners before the trail went cold. And the price was only 10-20% less than a new pair...

Now you have the answer that the parts were put in that way because the board had errors on it. Hurray! Somehow, this amp worked just fine for 8 years before you got it. Mysterious, yes, but not Justin's issue, not Gilmore's issue, not anybody but you and your friend DannyB. After you passed on Justin's suggestion that he would insist on swapping in new boards and could install the DACTs for you, several people, myself included, suggested that the rest was up to you and that perhaps you should just move on. I also questioned your motives -- like many people on this forum now -- and you have only served to reinforce those concerns.

One thing you are right about, RockFord, is that this thread has run its course. So . . .

o6Xo.jpg

Edited by Voltron

These KISS references are out of place considering my edit before your post.

I agree it is not Justin's or Dr. Gilmore's responsibility. Nothing has a 8 year warranty. I offered to pay for an estimate and repair after quickly realizing I cannot diagnose the problem my self. Justin's response implies that it is not so much a repair but a complete overhaul. His offer was also not a commitment but an answer to my question. So there was no offer to pass up.

Voltron, can't we make amends? I never burn any bridges and I appreciate that you cared about the issue.

Edited by RockCity