digital attenuator

kevin gilmore

Problem is that the higest value in z-foil of any description is 50k - so even a 10k version of the attenuator is missing the 169k. Upping the attenuator resistance just makes the availability of z-foils worse. I suspect that <50k is due to the combination of resistive material and the complexity of the metal pattern, and it does seem a hard limit for z-foil.

Texas Components shows up to 125K in Z-foil audio SMT (2506 or 2512 package). Their thru-hole go up to 600K in the largest package.

Texas Components ASMP

Texas Components Z-foil axial

Edited by Pars

Texas Components shows up to 125K in Z-foil audio SMT (2506 or 2512 package). Their thru-hole go up to 600K in the largest package.

Texas Components ASMP

Texas Components Z-foil axial

Now *that* is interesting! So if we go for a 10K resistor, and use the Texas Z204 (with 0.4" lead spacing) the only thing missing is the 6R34.

But - looking at the Charcroft site I find the equivalent document http://www.charcroft.com/site/pdf/data/aug2009/Charcroft.S.Series.Is4.09.pdf

So I guess that all branded manufacturers use the same Vishay stock and then trim. I shall go back to Charcroft and ask; pity they did not volunteer the information straight off

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I'm going to get final quotes tomorrow based on the quantities below.

I'll find out if we could do some of the boards with the .4" lead spacing foil resistors. If there is a big price difference then, I'm going to recommend doing them by hand.

Here's the list were we stand right now:

Name - Assembled - Bare Boards

Driftwood - 4 - 6

luvdunhill - 0 - 2

ujamerstand - 4 - 0

deepak - 2 - 2

cetoole - 0 - 10

manaox2 - 2 - 0

el_doug - 2 - 0

DouglasQuaid - 2 - 2

jgazal - 2 - 0

Lil Knight - 4 - 0

nattonrice - 0 - 4

kevin gilmore - 4 - 4

chinsettawong - 2 - 0

Kerry - 2 - 4

Fing - 4 - 0

blubliss - 4 - 0

n3rdling - 4 - 0

guzziguy - 2 - 0

Pars - 0 - 2

Nebby - 4 - 0

Flyingsparks - 0 - 4

dwhat - 4 - 0

minivan - 2 - 0

Craig Sawyers - 2 - 4

MASantos - 2 - 0

Vortex - 0 - 10

Beefy - 0 - 4

Samuel - 2 - 0

deadlylover - 0 - 6

MrMajestic2 - 0 - 4

tcpoint - 0 - 2

spritzer - 4 - 0

Shaman - 0 - 2

Horio - 0 - 2

Fitz - 0 - 4

Jezz - 2 - 2

Max - 1 - 0

TOTAL - 67 - 80

Edited by Kerry

READY TO ORDER :D

OK. I think I've got all the numbers now as close as I can get them. The issue is that the numbers change up and down based on quantity. What I've done is to use 140 boards and 70 assemblies even though the current numbers are a bit higher (I'm guessing there will be some fall out).

I'm going to ask that everyone pay up front, because I don't want to get stuck with extra boards/assemblies at $100 a pop. Also, if the number of boards/assemblies go up or down we can settle up based on the final pricing.

Here's the pricing. Remember that I'm ordering 3 extra assembled boards, based on the manufactures recommendation on fall out. If all the boards are all good, I will give these extras to Kevin for all his great work.

Assembled Boards

Parts Total - 49.41

Number of Boards = 140

1 6 Layer Board - 8.93

Number of Assembled Boards = 70

1 Assembly of 70 - 20.15

1 First Article - 3.57

1 Pre-Shipping - 2.14

Subtotal for Assembled Boards - 84.21

3 Extra Assemblies - 10.83

Total not including PayPal & Shipping - 94.18

1 *Paypal Fee - 3.03

Total with Paypal - 97.21

Bare Boards

1 6 Layer Board - 8.93

1 *Paypal Fee - .41

Total with Paypal - 9.34

* I know there is a slight calculation error on the paypal fee, but compared to all the other variables it is pretty much irrelevant.

Shipping - USPS Priority (so I can use the same boxes for everyone)

There link is: http://www.usps.gov

Domestic 2 assembled boards or any number of bare boards - 5.20

Domestic 4 assembled boards - 10.95

For international, please calculate USPS charges and include those in the total.

Payment Information

Please calculate your total from the above numbers (Boards + Shipping). I'll try to reconcile everything and PM with any issues.

My paypal account is: [email protected]

Again, I'm asking for everyone to pay up front, so please let's get this done quickly so that we can get the order in.

Also, please PM me with your address and the amount you paid including your paypal name so I can reconcile everything.

Thanks in advance

I'm really looking forward to getting these boards in, but I also wanted to let everyone know it will take about 4 weeks for the boards and 6 - 8 weeks for the assemblies because there are a few interim steps to make sure that everything works before the production. I will keep everyone posted along the way.

Lastly, a number of people expressed an interest in ordering the relays. Please PM me with the number of relays you would want. They should be $2.88 per relay based on the quantities.

EDIT: I also wanted to remind everyone that since this is a group by and I am not a MOT that there are no warranties, etc. We are paying for electrical testing on the boards and I will be quickly checking the assembled boards before I send them out. We are taking some good measures to ensure that everyone gets working boards, but I just wanted everyone to know what they are signing up for.

Thanks again.

Edited by Kerry

OK I'll go for a single complete assembled board (I don't have any balanced gear). Does that $97.21 include the relays or is it just the board and resistors? ICs?

Also, I clicked the USPS link but not sure how to calculate cost of shipping to the UK rolleyes.gif

The 97.21 includes everything (board, relays, resistors, caps, ICs, etc.) including the assembly costs. Shipping costs look like 13.95 to the UK.

Sweet, Paid. I included a bit extra as the paypal fee would be more with the extra postage.

There's no turning back now :D

We've got 46 assemblies committed so far out of 69 (after I removed the folks that bowed out).

I've got some ideas on how to keep the price, but I want to see where we end up first.

Thanks Nate, you're always welcome, but we're not going to be in jeopardy.

There's no turning back now :D

We've got 46 assemblies committed so far out of 69 (after I removed the folks that bowed out).

I've got some ideas on how to keep the price, but I want to see where we end up first.

Thanks Nate, you're always welcome, but we're not going to be in jeopardy.

I'll get the payment for you soon. My paypal account is freaking out.