New Portable USB DAC/Amp to preview at Maryland Meet

justin

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Justin

FWIW unless the pot is really hard to turn, I'd keep it small and round with an index line. Less machining, lower cost, and not easily bumped into another position like one with flats on it. Maybe like a minature GS1 knob for continuity. How often do you have to adjust the volume Vs. how often the volume knob bumps against something in your pocket or bag? ???

USG

According to Skyshit, Ray IS coming out with portable DAC/Amp.... prolly cmoy+alien dac in 1 box

I've been wondering about that, I've seen a few of his fanboys allude to some secret amp and from the hints it sounded like something else that's portable which if true considering his lineup now only a portable amp/DAC really makes much sense.

Oh and I'm liking the new volume knob concept a lot more than the original, it's kind of a blending of the original and the AE-2's.

• 3 weeks later...

forgive the ignorant question, but lets say one ordered a pico with usb dac. Could the DAC be bypassed to be used only as an amp? i.e. using an iPod or other DAP.

I'm thinking this would be great to carry around with a laptop and some IEMs at coffeeshops and what have you, but also great to be able to use an iPod with if one doesn't want to lug around a laptop.

forgive the ignorant question, but lets say one ordered a pico with usb dac. Could the DAC be bypassed to be used only as an amp? i.e. using an iPod or other DAP.

I'm thinking this would be great to carry around with a laptop and some IEMs at coffeeshops and what have you, but also great to be able to use an iPod with if one doesn't want to lug around a laptop.

yes it can, that's what the front input jack is for. duh.

- you can buy it as just an amp. the dac is optional

- both versions have an analog input on the front