Post what you're watching

deepak

Cheer Up old chap, it's not all doom and gloom. Some gems on Radio 4 - The return of ISIHAC , A brief history of Mathematics, and the new Series of the IT Crowd. er, Mock The Week, Fifth Gear.

I'll get my coat.

You're absolutely right - I'm an R4 addict. The only things I won't listen to are The Archers (loathe it) and anything that is a phone-in (Money Box Live, Any Questions and Any Answers). I discovered bare-foot running two weeks ago by listening to Woman's Hour, which had a guy on who has written a book called Born to Run and extols the virtues of bare-foot running. Bought the book, devoured in in three days, bought Vibram five-fingers, and am now adapting to running in what is basically a tight fitting foot glove with a 2mm sole - no padding, no heel, no support.

Mock the Week is excellent - with the odd factoid that Dara O'Briain is a Maths and Theoretical Physics graduate.

Vibrams actually aren't news, I've known someone who has had them for years and does indeed run with them, and there are plenty of HCers with them so you are not alone. That said, I will not be getting a pair anytime soon.

Oh - sure they are not a new product, but they are new to me. I'm a forefoot striker anyway, and in 40,000 miles of running have never had any wear marks on the heel of any running shoe. So apart from aching calves due to the different foot angle I think I'll adapt quite well. The wierd thing is that I've been used to a sort of slap, slap sound in conventional running shoes, but with the five-fingers with zero support anywhere I am almost totally silent - just a very quiet padding sound.

The statistics are interesting. Since Nike introduced the modern running shoe as an advance in the sort of flat and flexible shoes that preceeded them, there has actually been an increase in running injuries. Stretching before and after a run? Also no impact on injury rate. Speed? Famous bear foot runners are pretty rare, but Abebe Bikela won the 1960 olympics marathon in bare feet. Bruce Tolloh was a world class middle distance track runner in the 60's/early 70's (he used to surgical tape each toe though), and Zola Budd also ran barefoot in the 80's. But track spikes are light and flexible anyway, with no heel and hardly any support - so are not dissimilar to barefoot running with additional traction.

I haven't been able to get past the first episode, actually, I haven't been able to get past the first 25 minutes. I've tried a few times but I keep falling asleep. I will of course give it another chance, at least 4-5 episodes chance.

Oh - sure they are not a new product, but they are new to me. I'm a forefoot striker anyway, and in 40,000 miles of running have never had any wear marks on the heel of any running shoe. So apart from aching calves due to the different foot angle I think I'll adapt quite well. The wierd thing is that I've been used to a sort of slap, slap sound in conventional running shoes, but with the five-fingers with zero support anywhere I am almost totally silent - just a very quiet padding sound.

Amazing that you can run such long distances with the forefoot slapping, that would kill my feet so fast I wouldn't even be able to jog a mile. I think I'm an over-pronator (somewhat flat feet) and kind of have weak ankles. You may be onto something with the new Nikes and such, I need to get real running shoes with nice thin flexible soles the next time I buy a pair.

Didn't care enough to watch the US lose.

Amazing that you can run such long distances with the forefoot slapping, that would kill my feet so fast I wouldn't even be able to jog a mile. I think I'm an over-pronator (somewhat flat feet) and kind of have weak ankles. You may be onto something with the new Nikes and such, I need to get real running shoes with nice thin flexible soles the next time I buy a pair.

Didn't care enough to watch the US lose.

This has just got to be the wrong list for discussing running shoes - but the theory behind these is that since 50% of the bones in the human body are in the feet, they are there for a purpose. The whole foot is a very advanced shock absorbing system, intended to be in touch with what it is running on. The arch is part of that - ideally with the foot striking on the outer edge of the foot, rolling inwards towards the arch (which flexes downwards as it takes the load), the heel touches the ground very lightly, and the the calf pushes you off again. And yes - track racing flats (apart from the spikes) are not dissimilar in the correct lack of support of five-fingers.

New series of top gear. Usual mixture of madness, capped off by May driving up an Icelandic volcano (the same one that blew its head and disrupted air travel). Tyres eventually burst into flames at which point he retreated.

They got in so much trouble over that it isn't even funny. I don't really see the problem though as we've already mastered cars which can drive on ice so this might be a new growth industry for us... :D

Ohhh that's not important, grandstanding by stupid communists which are fake eco freaks is what they do. They oppose all the hydro powerplants people want to build here to fuel our industry because they "pollute" so much. They even heckled and hounded an international expert which claimed it would be far better to build aluminum smelting plants here then in China because they are powered by green electricity.