Rank Your Headphones

Nanoha

Well I've yet to receive my Klipsch Image X10 IEMs, but I'll hazzard a guess anyway, as I don't use IEMs much at any rate.

AKG K1000

Senn. HD 580 Modded

Klipsch Image X10

Wow, that was much easier than previous posts in these threads. This minimalist thing has it's advantages.

Duggeh, We need a new ranking from you since receiving the K1000.

Corrected:

1)Sennheiser HD650 (because I like how the feel more and that's it)

2)Denon AH-D5000

NA) Sony MDR-SA5000 (they sound like poo when forced to be flat)

NA) Etymotic ER-4s (no binaural head)

Uncorrected:

1) Etymotic ER-4s

2) Sony MDR-SA5000 (soon to be sold)

3) Denon AH-D5000 (modded)

4) Sennheiser HD650

There you go, you silly so and so

DT 880 Pro (05) >> MDR-7506 >> HD555 >> K340 >> MDR-CD780 >> Porta Pro >> various earbuds

To explain this rating a bit:

The Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro is a perfect combination of lovely sound and comfort. None of the dynamic phones it is usually compared with (HD650, K701 etc) are as balanced and pleasing in my opinion, they just seem to be a perfect fit to my ears :)

I rate the Sony MDR-7506 quite high as it's the pair of headphones that I use most of the whole bunch as I spend a lot of time travelling by trains and busses. It's easy to drive with any portable source, it's foldable and offers decent enough isolation from outside noise.

The AKG K340 was actually a bit of a disappointment, it's usually highly regarded and I actually liked it when I first heard it. Now, maybe I got a bad pair when I finally was able to get one, or maybe the lack of phones to compare the K340 where I heard them earlier made them sound better than they really are.

The Sony MDR-CD780 are easy to drive and really, really comfortable.

The KOSS Porta Pro still remains one of my favourite portable phones, even after trying through several similar phones that are usually graded higher.

Sorry for a long post, but a had a feeling that I needed to explain myself a bit. It just somehow seems that liking/disliking the K340 or lower-grade Sonys is usually kind of a red flag on headphone forums ;)

DT 880 Pro (05) >> MDR-7506 >> HD555 >> K340 >> MDR-CD780 >> Porta Pro >> various earbuds

To explain this rating a bit:

The Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro is a perfect combination of lovely sound and comfort. None of the dynamic phones it is usually compared with (HD650, K701 etc) are as balanced and pleasing in my opinion, they just seem to be a perfect fit to my ears :)

I rate the Sony MDR-7506 quite high as it's the pair of headphones that I use most of the whole bunch as I spend a lot of time travelling by trains and busses. It's easy to drive with any portable source, it's foldable and offers decent enough isolation from outside noise.

The AKG K340 was actually a bit of a disappointment, it's usually highly regarded and I actually liked it when I first heard it. Now, maybe I got a bad pair when I finally was able to get one, or maybe the lack of phones to compare the K340 where I heard them earlier made them sound better than they really are.

The Sony MDR-CD780 are easy to drive and really, really comfortable.

The KOSS Porta Pro still remains one of my favourite portable phones, even after trying through several similar phones that are usually graded higher.

Sorry for a long post, but a had a feeling that I needed to explain myself a bit. It just somehow seems that liking/disliking the K340 or lower-grade Sonys is usually kind of a red flag on headphone forums ;)

Welcome to head-case, sorry about your thin skin.

Hurray for another DT880 and Sony MDR-7506/-V6 lover!

I'll add that I've heard a few really shitty sounding K340s. I think that due to the age of the headphones, how they've been cared for has a lot to do with the quality of sound.

Any guesses what is causing this? Dying electret element maybe?

I'll add that I've heard a few really shitty sounding K340s. I think that due to the age of the headphones, how they've been cared for has a lot to do with the quality of sound.

Yeah, it's really strange mine sound that bad considering they are exactly the same version as the others I heard... Mine are of one of the bass light variants. And they are actually a well kept and little used pair. But there's just this weird ringing echoy sound with the mids / lower highs thats unbearable with some music...

Welcome to head-case, sorry about your thin skin.

Well, my skin really ain't that thin, I just want to spare this thread from the usual several-page-long arguments about the phones I mentioned ;)

Now to actually give some input that's on the original topic :): the headphones listed earlier, and again below with PX100 added, were all driven by Little Dot Mk III, Onkyo TX-SR506 and Pioneer PD-7700 headphone outs. Portable source was iPod 2nd gen. nano.

DT 880 Pro (05) >> MDR-7506 >> HD555 >> K340 >> MDR-CD780 >> Porta Pro >> PX100 >> various earbuds

Yeah I guess that would have to be the cause. What prompts the electret in some to wear out earlier than others I can only attribute to abuse.

Well, it seems that my problem with the K340 was actually caused either by bad internal wiring or by something obstructing the movement of the electret diaphragm. I noticed a slight channel inbalance in the phones and decided to open them up. There was no visible damage to the wiring, and everything seemed to be in order. But before i put them back together I decided to clean them and move the wires a little to see that they were properly connected.

And that really made a world of difference: the echoing is gone, the soundstage is natural. Overall the sound is quite nice now, with some sibilance though.

All this means that I'll have to rewise the ranking a bit, moving the K340 a couple of positions higher.

DT 880 Pro (05) >> K340 >> MDR-7506 >> HD555 >> MDR-CD780 >> Porta Pro >> PX100 >> various earbuds

Electrets can (in theory at least) have the same problem as electrostatics where a charge of the wrong polarity sits on the film and impedes its movement. Sony thought it was a large enough problem to design semi conductive driver housings to prevent it from happening.

<snip>

And that really made a world of difference: the echoing is gone, the soundstage is natural. Overall the sound is quite nice now, with some sibilance though.

All this means that I'll have to rewise the ranking a bit, moving the K340 a couple of positions higher.

DT 880 Pro (05) >> K340 >> MDR-7506 >> HD555 >> MDR-CD780 >> Porta Pro >> PX100 >> various earbuds

I've never hear a sibilant K340 and I'm ultra-sensitive to sibilant treble. What are you using to drive your K340? They are extremely difficult to drive and take an amp that can provide a large amount of both current and voltage to their best.

My current ranking (sadly):

1. Stax Lambda

2. Fostex T40 (needs more modding, though)

3. Everything else

The smart thing to do would be to just sell everything else, buy a Koss ESP950 and call it quits. My T50RPv2 still needs more modding, too, though. And my Fostex T20. And my Stax SR-5NB. And pretty much every other headphone I have. And the headphones I have coming in. Why can't companies just make headphones right from the start? ???