Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

I'm posting this in case it helps anyone else who develops the same problems.

My jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 4.01 developed an inability to sync Safari Bookmarks all of a sudden. Some online research showed that this to happen sometimes, only on jailbroken phones. Everything else on MobileMe would sync fine (Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Mail). Not only would they not sync, I could not see any bookmarks but the ones that came with the phone, and I could not save any new ones on the phone. I had to email links to myself or save them as an icon if I wanted to visit them again later.

One suggestion I found was removing the MobileMe account and reinstalling, but it didn't help. And, iTunes could not sync the Bookmarks by cable because it was finding the Bookmarks file to be busy.

Based on another suggestion, I also opened iSync and reset sync preferences and then opened mobileme on the Mac and reset that too, and replaced everything on MobileMe with my information on the computer. That didn't help.

While I was trying to sort out the issue for a couple of days I installed AtomicWebBrowser and sync'd my bookmarks to that using their web interface, which worked fine. I actually use Atomic on my iPad more than the built-in Safari. However, I don't like to have to manually sync the book marks from Safari after they've been updated on the computer.

I found another solution for jailbroken phones was to use a mobile terminal app on the iPhone 4 to reset permissions on the bookmarks to everyone, except the only terminal I could find in Cydia would close immediately after launching. This same one worked fine with my 3GS in the past. I didn't want to install SSH on the phone to do this because I would need to run mobile terminal to change the default password from "Alpine" to be secure (although I could just delete SSH app when I was done, I've never used it and would have to learn it).

In the end I decided to re-install iOS 4.0.1 (using TinyUmbrella TSS server with my saved SHSH blobs from Cydia). That fixed the Bookmarks issue. After that, I restored from a backup, and re-jailbroke it, and the Safari bookmarks still worked. I must note however, that when syncing the restored iPhone with MobileMe for the first time after it booted up, my Mac's MobileMe sync asked me if I wanted to add 6,800 new bookmarks to the computer. I suspect this meant the bookmarks were restored to the iPhone and MobileMe for Mac saw them as completely new. "Merge" was not offered as an option, and I didn't want duplicates of 6,800 links, so I told MobileMe I would do it later. That is when I reset my sync history in iSync and in MobileMe system preferences. That must have overwritten the bad ones restored to the phone with the good ones from my Mac. Good thing I had MobileMe's sync on the Mac set to alert me if more than 5% of my information changed.

Unfortunately, then I reinstalled all my jailbreak apps using APTBackup (with which I had used to save or back up my settings previously). This re-installed all my jailbreak apps in one fell swoop, BUT it made all 8Gb of iTunes store apps disappear from the springboard. The memory on the phone was still being used by the App Store apps, but they could not be seen nor launched from the search screen. I recommend people avoid this app like the plague.

I had to re-install iOS and restore all over again at 12mn this morning, and this time I didn't use APTBackup to restore my jailbreak apps, and everything is running great - maybe even faster than before.

My co-worker just got back from Shanghai today. He was able to pick up a 4G iPhone for only $80.

iphonepf.jpg

Not sure my favorite trait. The quad band, antenna, weather app titled 'user profiles,' TV and FM reception or 64 MB of space marked '32 GB' on back.

EDIT: I forgot one other part - the screen doesn't register touch, so requires use of a stylus or at least fingernail.

Edited by blessingx

Evidently they sold white, black, green and pink, but could only keep green and pink in stock for some reason.

Surprising they sold any of them.

Something is not letting me download and install VLC on my touch, as of last night. Will try again tonight. I think it's going to be an epic fail as the 8GB is ye olde 2G technologie.

Looks like VLC for iPhone and iPad is about to be pulled from the App Store because the Open Source Powers That Be don’t believe Apple’s iTunes App Store is compatible with the GPL components of the app.

Basically, anything under the GPL has to be freely transferable to anyone without restriction. Since the App Store places FairPlay DRM even on free apps like VLC, even though anyone can still download them, that’s considered a restriction.

The long and the short of it is this — if you want VLC for iPhone or iPad, go get it now.

If you want VLC for iPhone, iPad get it now before it’s pulled | TiPb

For some odd reason, iTunes wasn't letting me drag/drop any content onto my iPhone this morning. It still let me sync the contents so I could still add what I wanted to add, but this method is far less convenient. Anyone having similar issues or solutions to this? I'm using iPhone 4 and the latest version of iTunes.

For some odd reason, iTunes wasn't letting me drag/drop any content onto my iPhone this morning. It still let me sync the contents so I could still add what I wanted to add, but this method is far less convenient. Anyone having similar issues or solutions to this? I'm using iPhone 4 and the latest version of iTunes.
I had this problem before -- I accidentally set my iPhone to "sync-only" rather than drag-n-drop. (I forget what the actual setting is called.)

And when I say that I did it accidentally, I mean, I don't know what I did to do it, and it happened during an upgrade of iTunes, so I really think it's a side-effect, but the solution is the simple "set it back" one, as if you had done it yourself accidentally.

I bought the Captivate a few weeks ago, and I took it back for the IP4 after exhaustive use/thought and review reading. I have to say that they are both good options (best 2 ATT phones), and I can't say the Droid is bad or inferior at all.

In the end, the Retina display is easier on these 40 year old eyes. While the Captivates super AMOLED screen with 1/2" more real estate is much more exciting to look at, the amazing contrast actually makes it hard to look at for too long. Wow vs practical. iOS is still better but Droid is coming up fast.

Overall, Apple's refinement and polish physically and digitally is still untouched. I'm good for 2 years.