Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

You guys are harsh.

On Topic - the iPhone's voice recognition is awful compared to Google's. That's my biggest frustration so far. It routinely gets simple words wrong, ends sentences prematurely and flat out refuses to work occasionally. WTF is up with that? My Galaxy S3 from 3+ years ago was better in this regard...

It's a feature.

**BRENT**

On Topic - the iPhone's voice recognition is awful compared to Google's.

Strangely the iPhones voice recognition is awful compared to the Apple Watches. At two weeks I've now used SIRI more on the watch than all the iPhone models in the last four years (since SIRI introduced) combined. 

I will say the original Moto X (which had a slightly modified Android version - to constantly listen for instructions) voice recognition system being trained and locked to a single individual probably has advantages in most situations (including accuracy), but not all. As a secondary phone (web testing) family was excited to use it as an Amazon Echo-like, or [we were really thinking] 2001-HAL/Alien-Mother-like, always on fun answer machine. Then we realized it only worked with a single persons voice.  :-

Then again things didn't work out so well for most of those using HAL or Mother. 

Edited by blessingx

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone tell me why the field of view when shooting video on the iPhone is so radically different than when shooting photos? I did some googling and came up empty.

Well, on my iPhone 6+ video is the same 1920x1080p as the screen = 16:9 ratio, but photos are in 3:4 ratio compressing 2448x3264 pixels into a 1080p screen.

It is because the stupid iPhone can only capture 4:3 photos. 

Video mode is cropping the image to get the 16:9 (1080p) image.. hence the "zoom" and narrower FOV.

If you were able to set photos to capture at 16:9 then changed over to video, you would see no notable change.

post-6-0-42093500-1437074346.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my lovely MS Paint image.

It is because the stupid iPhone can only capture 4:3 photos. 

Video mode is cropping the image to get the 16:9 (1080p) image.. hence the "zoom" and narrower FOV.

If you were able to set photos to capture at 16:9 then changed over to video, you would see no notable change.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my lovely MS Paint image.

This is what I was saying, you just did it better.

• 1 month later...

Shelly .. if you will only be mimicking an ipod, then an iTouch may well give you more battery longevity than any iPhone.  Think about it .. I assume you won't need or want wireless nor cell (lte, etc) connectivity ... just play whatever sweet music you already put on the device, right?  That being the case, turn off WiFi and Cell connectivity in settings, and you should only be limited by how much you play that thang ... Are you and all nighter?  Maybe just a day or two.  Occaisional listener?  All week long.

If I have missed the point of your question, forgive me, and move on. It does seem to me, though, that connectivity is a huge battery drain, and if all you want is music storage and playback, the a Touch should serve you well.

Edited by agile_one
  • Like 2

I know!  It sounds extra dumb when you say it succinctly like that, but yes, to listen to ... well, the same music as is on my iPod Classics.  I mean, I was always going to use it to stream Spotify and/or Tidal or whatever service would allow me to cache at home and then take it to work (and maybe some Animoog), but I have many many hours of perfectly good mp3s and flacks...

:palm: @ self

Edited by Dusty Chalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to iOS 9 tonight. Seems snappy, seems to have eliminated the issue for me of third party keyboards randomly not showing up, but the minor UI tweaks are going to take some getting used to.... Especially multitasking.

I typically wait for the first update before updating to a new iOS.  Is the 9.0 stable enough to not wait for 9.01 ??