Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

unless recboot is just really different on Windows than it is on the Mac, i'm just not really seeing how that could happen. it basically just flips a flag on USB, as far as i can tell.

Obviously it's very different. It caused massive system failure on the usb side of things (or it in conjunction with .net 4 did) that included but wasn't limited to: disabling two USB ports on the notebook, disabling the webcam, disabling wireless, disabling wired networking, disabling several embedded pieces of software and probably other shit that I didn't bother to notice. Uninstalling recboot and .net 4.0 plus 2 hard reboots finally brought the system back up to normal. So no, I'm not going to try that method again on a Win7 machine and it's utter fucking bullshit that I have to jump through hoops like that to undo Apple ruining the functionality of my phone. [/rant]

Nate, I feel your frustration. On my 3G the only thing that appears faster is the menu screen and clicking on the phone icon for calls, or double clicking the home button which goes to my favorites.

It takes 5 seconds to open up messages. I deleted all my texts and old conversations, no help.

Safari...yeah...

However I am not going to risk going back to the previous OS due to your issues, not worth it to me. Hopefully AT&T will let me use my wife's upgrade date in november, which some sales people have said they can do.

You should read the last two pages of this thread and then suggest to me again to try the downgrade using recboot.

Here, I'll save you the time.. Recboot nearly nuked my laptop, definitely nuked the phone, somehow in the process itunes killed every backup of the phone that I had consequently trashing every contact, calendar appointment, several apps, etc.

bleh, completely forgot that you tried already with recboot. :palm: sorry!

a coworker of mine got her iPhone4 at lunch today, and she was kind enough to let me fondle it. gorgeous piece of kit. i couldn't get it to drop bars, regardless of how touched it.

why does that perfectly innocent statement seem seedy, in retrospect?

did you make a call or just fondled it?

Here are some thoughts on 4 vs 3G after a day or so of use:

Screen: Absolutely stunning. I watched about 15 minutes of the Bourne Identity (ripped via Handbrake using the old iPhone setting) and I was blown away. I thought the movie looked great on my 3G. I can easily pick out the non-OS 4 app icons as they look like shit compared to the new icons. I haven't tried any games yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Battery life: I fully charged the phone after I got home from the store yesterday (~10am) and I haven't plugged it in since. I'm now at ~50% battery. I've been surfing on 3G (30 min at dentist this morning) and plenty of app use and surfing at home on Wifi. I've been checking email regularly as well. As advertised, the battery is big step up from my 3G.

Processor/RAM: Fast as hell. This was my #1 complaint with my 3G. Everything loads faster and I don't get a huge lag when I open a new page in Safari.

Reception: Wifi has been on par with my 3G. Cell reception has been ok although I had two dropped calls yesterday while sitting in my home office. I have used the Apple bumper from the beginning so I can't comment on reception without using it.

Video/Camera: I shot a video yesterday and snapped a few pictures but I haven't really compared pictures to my 3G.

What I don't like so far:

1. Why the hell did Apple take away the option to customize Double-Clicking the Home button in OS 4? I realize this is now for App switching but I used this all the time on my 3G to bring up my phone favorites. There is an option for a Triple Click for Accessibility features and it would have been nice to be able to customize the triple click functionality.

2. The Silence/Ring switch doesn't stick out far enough which makes it very hard to used while in the Apple bumper and will probably not get any better with other cases.

3. I really wish there was a way to mark multiple email message read. I also had an issue where the phone would not mark emails as read even after I had open them. I reset the phone and its been working since.

Holding my iPhone 4 "that way" definitely drops bars for me.

- Proviso 1: takes time; 10 seconds to loss of 1st bar, another 5-6 seconds to loss of 2nd bar. (not surprising, you'd expect the display to be averaged over time so it doesn't look spastic and jumpy)

- Proviso 2: may depend on local signal strength. I was traveling around London today and it seemed like it wasn't happening everywhere I went. But now that I'm home, it's very reproducible.

I dug out a wide (like 1/2") and decently thick rubber band that fits nicely around the entire outer edge of the phone -- not just the metal, it actually wraps around the sides and overlaps the front and back a little bit. It does not help the signal-loss problem. People say the official bumpers help (and some say even Scotch tape helps), but, at least in my case, simply insulating the metal band from skin contact is not a sufficient solution.

This is a pretty big disappointment. Yes, this is the phone that changes everything, but I stupidly didn't realize 'everything' included how I hold my phone.

What I don't like so far:

1. Why the hell did Apple take away the option to customize Double-Clicking the Home button in OS 4? I realize this is now for App switching but I used this all the time on my 3G to bring up my phone favorites. There is an option for a Triple Click for Accessibility features and it would have been nice to be able to customize the triple click functionality.

For what it's worth it doesn't look like it's iOS4. Setting is there on my 3G since installing iOS4. Looks like it's iPhone 4 specific then (and possibly 3Gs). Like you said probably a multitasking change.

I have picked up a couple of cheap cases I thought I would share in case anyone is shopping. Both came from Best Buy.

iFrogz

Two piece hard case with a headphone jack access point that is too small and the sleep button is too recessed to easily shut the phone down. Seems durable enough.

Frogskin3.jpg

Frogskin.jpg

Frogskin2.jpg

Rocketfish Gel Case. Once again headphone jack access is too small and the sleep button is hard to actuate. The case is not very form fitting and is obviously fairly low quality.

Rocketfish.jpg

Rocketfish2.jpg

The Register had their usual snarks at the iPhone but some of the articles are interesting, the comments always make a fun read

Neuroscientist: iPhone 4's 'Retina display' not*bullsh*t ? The Register

(NSFW) :)

Suicide Girls whip out iPhone 4 ? The Register

Some lovely prose here

Jobs tells iPhone users to get a grip ? The Register

The retail story is an interesting view from the trenches

Diary of a somebody - life in iPhone 4 land ? The Register

ugh, that's a big fail. Can you cut the case so that it can fit?

I guess I could but the case tolerances are tight. No telling how it will look afterwards either. I was planning on picking up a case eventually this just shortens search timeframe. That previously linked bamboo case looks cool. I sent an email to the guys, if the standard case hole size won't work I hope they can do a custom one for me.

from the old incase stuff to the new griffen i just picked up i always had to remove the case or top part to plug into the headphone jack, though any cable with a skinny iphone first gen connector works perfect! is there even a diy jack available like those?

only a few times do i use the headphone out, always going line out..

Just wanted to mention a couple of things that I learned about the iPhone 4:

1) One should listen to other people here and not restore an old jailbroken 3GS backup file onto a new iPhone 4. Otherwise it becomes slightly unstable and sucks the battery down 3x faster than another iPhone 4 that wasn't restored from a backup and treated as a new phone. In 10 hours I ran my iPhone 4's battery down to 18% with very light use, while our other iPhone 4 with heavy use with games was down to 72% on the battery in the same 10 hour period.

And I ended up with 4 copies of all my contacts (I have 2073 contacts when there is only one copy). Fortunately MobileMe detected the problem and on my Macbook I got a message where it asked me if I wanted to use the contacts on my computer to replace the contacts on MobileMe. I turned off mobile me contact syncing on the phone, and turned it back on and let it replace the contacts on the phone with the ones online and that was fixed.

Half the time when opening the settings control panel it would close immediately and have to be reopened. And the signal strength readings were much more unstable, and often reading 1-2 bars while sitting on the table while the other iPhone 4 three feet away was at 4-5 bars (not touching the metal band around the phone). Then after turning airplane mode on and off it would read 5 bars for a while.

2) It can take an hour to restore the iPhone 4 back to factory settings via iTunes, and twice that long to re-install everything fresh (didn't want to risk using the "remove data and settings" command on the phone leaving something behind). I took screen shots of the 120 playlists i wanted to restore to it, plus movies, tv shows and podcasts, so that I could select the same ones I had before, but the 10 pages of apps will take me even longer to re-arrange into groups by use and category again. I had everything organized into 20 folders before I had to wipe it all out, so I wont be doing that again until I know everything is working like it should.

3) My DLO silicone skin case for 3GS fits the iPhone 4 rather nicely, with just a little looseness along the sides. If I hadn't ordered a Casemate Gelli case a couple of days ago I'd probably be perfectly happy using this one, with just cutting a small hole for the flash.

Small note: in an earlier post I said the iPhone 4 fit in an iPod Touch leather case that I had. That was totally wrong. Somehow I wound up with two of the Marware iPhone cases and thought one of them was the Marware iPod Touch case. I stumbled across the actual Touch case this morning and the iPhone 4 does not fit it.

Just played with the iPhone 4. Very nice. Looks great. Screen is outstanding. The one call I tried to make was horrible, so that part may continue to suck. I could not fully replicate the angry antenna, but i paid attention to how I hold the phone in my left hand while browsing. The antenna issue will be a pain in the ass for me.

Other than that, well sorted.