What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your support guys.

I'm feeling a little better. It's the little things that still catch me, like looking behind my desk chair for Fred before rolling it back, or not having him licking the water off of my feet when I get out of the shower (I think I'll actually be OK with that one once some time has passed).

He loved, loved, loved the beach, and I took him often. He also loved playing with my co-workers dogs, and pissing in their yard. That's where he's burried, as I have no grass. So all in all he had a great, if short 6 years on this planet.

Fuck yes, close it down.

I finished in fall '05, and now everyone in my family is bitching at me to go back and get certifications for more monies.

I try telling them that college was kind of the last bit of school I was prepared for.

Nothing is ever good enough.

My fault for going into a field that has nothing to do with my degree I guess.

Nothing is ever good enough.

QFT

In case anyone gives a shit, the one bit of good news I've gotten since I started college happened yesterday. My teacher basically said he's willing to support me in my endeavors for the Tchaikovsky competition if I really commit to busting my ass practicing. Hopefully I'll see you in Moscow, Marc.

QFT

In case anyone gives a shit, the one bit of good news I've gotten since I started college happened yesterday. My teacher basically said he's willing to support me in my endeavors for the Tchaikovsky competition if I really commit to busting my ass practicing. Hopefully I'll see you in Moscow, Marc.

You must be pretty damned good - performance standard for sure - if you are heading for the Tchaikovsky. What's your instrument?

QFT

Holy Crap, that would be awesome! I used to watch the Tchaik (!) competition on TV all the time, but haven't seen it for a while. Is it still broadcast? How cool would it be to see MPI on TV? Granted, it usually public TV, and not American Idol .... but still ...

BTW, loved the Hairy Banjo cartoon.

"Holy Crap, that would be awesome! I used to watch the Tchaik (!) competition on TV all the time, but haven't seen it for a while. Is it still broadcast? How cool would it be to see MPI on TV? Granted, it usually public TV, and not American Idol .... but still ."

He is an accomplished violinist who just recently took up the instrument seriously. I hope our young friend chooses to take the challenge, and take it seriously.

For the record, I give a shit!

Thanks, guys. I have gone through a whole slew of extremely odd situations to get to where I am today. Aimless is right, I didn't seriously consider playing until I randomly found out I got accepted into the school of music. I guess this calls for a little storytelling...

I applied late since I didn't think I'd get in and wasn't expecting anything in the first place and managed to get the very last audition slot open. Anyway, fast forward a bit, freshman year I decide this music thing is actually really great, tell my parents maybe I want to pursue a career in music, and my mom completely flips and tries to kick me out of the house and disown me several times. Fast forward a bit, the politics that go on between the string faculty and the sheer arrogance they show when they just aren't very good at playing or teaching, means I can't take it anymore so I unofficially quit and was the onset of my major bout of depression.

I'm just glad I was introduced my current teacher through the school of music and that he has been so helpful in teaching and even helping me decipher and deal with my life issues from an outsider's point of view. Sad to say but he might be more of a dad than my dad has ever been, and I've only known him just over two years.

Thanks, guys. I have gone through a whole slew of extremely odd situations to get to where I am today. Aimless is right, I didn't seriously consider playing until I randomly found out I got accepted into the school of music. I guess this calls for a little storytelling...

I'm really sad that you had such a tough time winning through to fulfil your vision. From here on in it needs not only complete and utter focus, it also needs the cards to fall right.

As an example of cards not quite falling right, a very good friend is Shelley Katz (do a google - anything that involves piano is him). He won piano competitions in Canada and internationally from the age of 6 onwards. He is fortunate that he has supportive parents - his mother described to me how 6 year old Shelley was so small that the piano stool slid backwards in a competition - he apparently did not miss a note, and still managed to operate the pedals from a sort of crouch (he won). Onwards to the Juliard, and on the brink of an international concert career, his parents nearly went bankrupt - so Shelley stepped in to help for 6 months. And missed the boat; the phone asking for availability for engagements slowed down and finally just stopped ringing. The cards did just not fall right.

Don't get me wrong - he still records, accompanies and performs - but at a modest level of "fame", rather than someone like Murray Parahia. He's also married to Diana, a superb and delightful coloratura soprano, and they perform together quite extensively and internationally. When visiting them (they live in Cambridge UK), I've been lucky enough to get impromptu private recitals, which have always reduced me to tears. Diana performs under her maiden name of Diana Gilchrist (google again..., or MAIN ).

Anyway - the watchword is to stick at it 110%, and never ever get de-railed.

I applied late since I didn't think I'd get in and wasn't expecting anything in the first place and managed to get the very last audition slot open. Anyway, fast forward a bit, freshman year I decide this music thing is actually really great, tell my parents maybe I want to pursue a career in music, and my mom completely flips and tries to kick me out of the house and disown me several times. Fast forward a bit, the politics that go on between the string faculty and the sheer arrogance they show when they just aren't very good at playing or teaching, means I can't take it anymore so I unofficially quit and was the onset of my major bout of depression.

I'm just glad I was introduced my current teacher through the school of music and that he has been so helpful in teaching and even helping me decipher and deal with my life issues from an outsider's point of view. Sad to say but he might be more of a dad than my dad has ever been, and I've only known him just over two years.

Seriously, I think that would be incredible! I hope I didn't come across as being sarcastic (except for the obvious American Idol part.) I literally did use to watch that competition on TV and wish I'd come across it again. It's the biggest and most important amateur music competition that I'm aware of, and the excitement and drama involved is amazing! Didn't Van Cliburn launch a huge international career by being the first American to ever win the piano side of that event? My college GF was a violin major, so I know very well the level of commitment of serious musicians. She and all her friends would practice literally all day and night in the music building, I'd go to pick her up at night, and she'd tell me to come back in an hour, then 2 hours later she would finally leave her little practice cubicle because I forced her, and she'd say she didn't practice enough.

MPI, what would you choose to play for the non-compulsory pieces?

Yesterday, we went out for a nice dinner (I really enjoy the Restaurant Week), taking our baby girl with us. It was bit stressful at first, but she did great at the restaurant and the food was excellent. I'm sure, though, other patrons were thinking "oh crap, there's a baby here" as they walked into the dining area (we were the first ones in).

Today, while it probably wouldn't matter much to many people here, I finally received a $300 check that was owed me from work that is going to make my life considerably more comfortable until the end of the month. :)

Congrat! Comfortable is good!

Congratulations MPI. More than for participating in the Tchaikovsky contest, for finding such a good teacher who is supporting and encouraging you. I've seen so many times true talent wasted for the envy, lack of intelligence and talent of bad teachers, that knowing there are still good ones, kind of reconciles me with the human kind.

I'm afraid I won't be able to watch it on TV, no channel here broadcasts those things, but if it's available online, I will.

That sucks. I hope the garage is not attached to the house and/or the problem is isolated to the garage.

I'm afraid it is. The garage is part of my basement. I had the contractor I've used in the past (and who, ahem, did the work that led to my little in-house waterfall) take a look at it yesterday. He sourced the leak to some flashing by my front door. He thinks he's fixed it. It's supposed to rain more this week (joy) and I have to keep a close eye on it. If the leak is plugged, I have to get him back here to replace the waterlogged insulation (R38 fiberglass can hold a lot of water apparently) and Typar. Fortunately, my only costs are materials.

Ah, home ownership. Where's that image of the Joker setting a mountain of money on fire when you need it?