What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt well enough to move around today, so I rewarded(?) myself by vacuuming my room. WAT. The upstairs of my house has funky 1970s deep pile shag carpeting, which can hold an unspeakable amount of dust. I've been breathing all that shit in while I've been sick. I dug out the Miele and the "spazzola eletrica" and removed what I hope is 9 of the 10 layers of grime. I actually don't mind vacuuming, it somewhat of a zen-like chop wood, carry water task. Moving all the crap around in my room so I can complete the is another matter. :palm:

I can't imagine NOT wiping out during a blow out on a bike. That one thought alone prevents me from ever considering riding on a bike.

Glad you're ok.

It wasn't a big deal. It was a nail, from what I can tell. I checked the bike over before I left, and I topped them off. Rode the hour to work, parked the bike in the garage. Did my thing, came back. I looked quickly everything seemed ok. Got on, rode about 2 miles down the road, and noticed the bike didn't feel right. The backend was all squirrelly. After I majorly lost the rear on a moderate acceleration, I pulled over and saw the tire was soft. I rode to a gas station, filled it, checked it was at 36psi then rode back to the highway for one more exit, where it would be easier to find me. I pulled into a D'Angelos, checked the tire at 0 psi, and called my dad to bring the truck to trailer it home.

Could have been much worse, I suppose.

3267969335_34f6639800_b.jpg

Posting this here because it's really not fit for the Photography or Pic of Rig threads. Today I finished vacuuming my room, and picked up all the remaining debris. I then spent the better part of an hour extracting the bookcase that's in the dormer from its original location. My father had shoehorned it into a walk-in closet in the hallway, and loaded it up with all sorts of bric-a-brac (most of which is still in the hallway. :palm:)

There's is now another bookcase in the room, situated directly behind where I was standing when I took this shot. It started today in one of my barns. It was the the display case my father sold "smalls" (anything not furniture or paintings, essentially) out of for 20 years. He claimed that he sold over $1 million in goods on it in that time. I have no idea if that's true or not. My father was both a gifted salesman a bit of a braggart, which are really not that different I suppose. The bookcase was known as the Million Dollar Case, and for the last seven years, I've been meaning to lug it into the house. Of course, I decided to do that today, February 9th, when there's a foot of snow on the ground and an inch of ice on my driveway.

In spite of ...all of the above, I got the Million Dollar Case emptied in about two hours, just as it was getting dark. I then called my friend Steve and offered him a bribe if he'd comer over and help me carry the MDC into the house. It's only about a 300 foot walk, but 200' of that is in snow, and 100' is on ice. Amazingly, neither of us nor the MDC hit the ground during the whole process. The MDC is now lying on its side. Funny thing, it's about 80" tall, and my ceilings are over 90", but the diagonal is such that the only way I can right the case is if it starts lying flat on its back. I can't get it into that position without moving two rather large chests of drawers. I'll be completing the rest of this process when my housemate gets home. He's a weightlifter and an asthmatic, which means he can move them no problem, but we need to work quickly before his O2 supply runs out.

Points of interest in the photo are are include the beautiful Tiffany Art Nouveau frame, that's currently holding this picture of Grimlock. There are four Czech globes on top of the bookcase, I'm going to get lamps for them Real Soon Now. The audio gear is all decidedly ho-hum. The stereo I picked out for my father in 1997 when he wanted a new system to play music to woo his then-new girlfriend. It's a Yamaha receiver and CDP, both of which still work flawlessly. That's more than one can say for most consumer electronics made a dozen years ago. The speakers are Pinnacles, and are actually quite nice 2-ways. Pinnacle's research plant and factory are located pretty close to where I live. They used to sell B-stock and discontinued items at some local stores quite cheaply. There's a few other miscellaneous notes on the Flickr page for the photo.

Barely visible above the Macintop is my Senn. HD-570s. I think at this point they are the headphones I've owned the longest. They just simply will not die. The 570s are generally speaking a terrible can, inefficient, dark and remote sounding. They have two advantages, however: #1, they're amazingly comfortable (they and the 590s are the two most comfortable cans I have ever worn) and #2, they don't sound particularly worse being driving straight out a laptop than they do when fed by a Gilmore Lite and Adcom CDP. They don't scale in either direction.

Nice HBC Point Blanket! That's a piece of Canadian history right there :)

Sharp eyes. I have four or five of 'em. They are indispensable during cold New England winters. When it gets really cold, I sleep under two of them. In 2006 I was cleaning and found a 1981 L.L. Bean catalog. Hudson Bay blankets were around $200 each back then. I shudder to think what they cost these days.

Grimlock eh? Planning on picking up Masterpiece Grimlock next month?

*chuckle* Actually, that Grimlock doesn't belong to me. Neither does the EOS 5D nor the EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro lens I used to photograph it. I was in my friend DK's upper west side apartment a few years ago and was availing myself of his camera equipment. Grimlock was handy test subject. I liked that pic enough that I had shutterfly print a few up.