What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying hard to ignore the World Cup, which most in England is gripped by with media saturation. No interest in the game, which puts me in the 0.1% population bracket. Our entire close family is similarly minded, especially my son who dislikes the game with a passion bordering the paranoid.

Far prefer rugby, which like american football needs real tough cookies and an ability to soak up continual brutal punishment. "Soccer" players would not survive five seconds under those conditions, soccer players generally falling over if someone insults their hair cut.

<flame suit on>

Far prefer rugby, which like american football needs real tough cookies and an ability to soak up continual brutal punishment. "Soccer" players would not survive five seconds under those conditions,

Well duh? Theyre trained to play soccer, not rugby or american football. They dont need to take constant punishment. Its like saying baseball players would suck at tennis or something.

soccer players generally falling over if someone insults their hair cut.

Yea, flopping is (and has been) a huge problem. :\

They should be allowed to use their hands in soccer. Something has to be done to help these fuckers score.

That's already been tried. It wasn't too popular.

hand-of-god-goal-tn.jpg

Maradona’s Hand of God Goal - AbhiSays.com

Argentina v England (1986 FIFA World Cup quarter-final) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diego Maradona 'Hand of God' Goal Recap - Diego Maradona - Zimbio

They should be allowed to use their hands in soccer. Something has to be done to help these fuckers score.

I've always thought that attitude pretty funny coming from a country so fond of baseball......

But then again, nobody beats cricket in this respect. Five day games that frequently end in a draw!

Yesterday: dinner at the pub with friends, with the game on. We have pretty much exactly the same level of interest in the World Cup that Craig does, but it was a neighbourhood place with a convivial atmosphere and a terrific garden out back for the kids (our one and the several others of other patrons) to run around and play in. Pub owners are a couple and she's from New York, so it was a safe place for Americans even during the game :)

Today: daughter's second birthday. Presents, playing, cupcake-making, and videochats with grandparents.

Tomorrow: daughter's second birthday party. I am currently picturing all the things that can go wrong. Fortunately our nanny will be on the job and is the kind of person who has no trouble keeping track of, for example, which child has which dietary restriction and can't be allow to reach into which other child's snack bag, etc., etc. Without her we'd be lost.

I've always thought that attitude pretty funny coming from a country so fond of baseball......

I can understand people getting bored with baseball. I personally love it, but I played organized ball through a little bit of college. Games these days last far too long. Regardless, the lack of scoring in soccer is truly awful. Not just because it's boring (and it is extremely boring), but also because of the sheer futility of it. Make a nice run, cross, miss everyone, repeat. Or my personal favorite--run into the middle of the field and have a defender kick the shit out of the ball to no one in particular.

I actually love soccer, but the game needs more scoring.

I can understand people getting bored with baseball. I personally love it, but I played organized ball through a little bit of college. Games these days last far too long. Regardless, the lack of scoring in soccer is truly awful. Not just because it's boring (and it is extremely boring), but also because of the sheer futility of it. Make a nice run, cross, miss everyone, repeat. Or my personal favorite--run into the middle of the field and have a defender kick the shit out of the ball to no one in particular.

I actually love soccer, but the game needs more scoring.

I used to love watching indoor soccer because of this, my dad and I had season tickets to the Harrisburg Heat for years and years when I was younger. Highest scoring game I can remember was something like 42-2. Different scoring rules, but still the wall went in the net something like 20 times. Smaller field, its basically soccer in a hockey rink, with a half size (compared to outdoor soccer) goal on each end, and keep the hockey boards. I enjoy playing outdoor soccer, but agreed, not the most fun to watch.

My wife and I got up early to head over to the Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride which was a very cool ride that shut down the highway and let you ride on 395 on your way over to the Air Force Memorial and around the Pentagon in a 12.5km loop. As I was about the head out the door I discovered that my front tire had gond flat (tube failure) and proceeded to get a bit snarky for a while as I changed it. Worked out fine. It was massively hot though (90ish) We got to do the ride but Meaghan pulled out early so I did too. Then we rode home. Only ended up doing 80km for the day which is shorter than the 110 or so planned but not unexpected. After that we headed back to watch mens and womens pro races which were very cool. Then a dinner of sushi. All in all a great day.

Regardless, the lack of scoring in soccer is truly awful. Not just because it's boring (and it is extremely boring), but also because of the sheer futility of it. Make a nice run, cross, miss everyone, repeat. Or my personal favorite--run into the middle of the field and have a defender kick the shit out of the ball to no one in particular.

I used to love watching indoor soccer because of this, my dad and I had season tickets to the Harrisburg Heat for years and years when I was younger. Highest scoring game I can remember was something like 42-2. Different scoring rules, but still the wall went in the net something like 20 times. Smaller field, its basically soccer in a hockey rink, with a half size (compared to outdoor soccer) goal on each end, and keep the hockey boards. I enjoy playing outdoor soccer, but agreed, not the most fun to watch.

Yeah, football is an odd game in that it is more fun to watch at the non-professional level. It is at its best in little village vs village rivalry games...... more physical contact, more aggressive offence, at least one big punch up, and if the ref doesn't go home in fear for his life it would be disappointing.

Start of the day yesterday the back yard contained a swing set and a small slide.

125554870.jpg

A little while later we had the first main frame up.

125554875.jpg

At the end of day one we had both platforms built.

125554882.jpg

This morning I got to sleep in a bit and when Lily and Mom headed out for swim lessons I built some framing members for the roof.

125554888.jpg

My dad arrived around noon to get busy making the clubhouse done enough to allow kids to play in it next weekend. At the end of the day we had it looking pretty good. I need to build a new ladder that's more kid friendly and work on some other details but I'm really happy with how much we got done.

125554891.jpg

125554894.jpg

To put it delicately, today I nearly broke my fucking neck. I wanted to wire my Pico DAC into the pre on my 5.1 system, so I can use the Macintop as a source in the living room. I grabbed an antique wooden stand that used to hold up one of my Yamaha NS-1000s before I got the Unisounds. Brilliantly, I stood too far to one side, and it tipped. I went ass over tea kettle and landed on my back. Miraculously, I didn't injure anything. I'm doubly lucky, as my head landed right next to two 20 lb hand weights. My friend Pete is visiting and he saw the whole thing. Apparently I gave him quite a fright. After ascertaining that I was okay, he told me that I was (A) an idiot and (B) exceedingly lucky.