What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which do you hate more, scheduling meetings or attending meetings?

Aah - meetings. I remember meetings. When I was a lad we used to 'ave meetings that went on for days. Or years. In the gutter. Eating gravel. And you say this to lads these days and they don't believe you......

Edited by EdipisReks
sneakily fixing my typo

Today I watched my dog go completely blind. It happened in the span of three days, and this afternoon he has no vision left at all. He is only Six years old, so it has to be disease, especially with the suddeness of it. He has also been drinking large sums of water for about a week now, and he's losing weight pretty quickly. I can't get him into the Vet until Monday, but from what I've read on the web today I'm guessing it's Canine Diabetes.

It's really hard to watch, because it's happened so fast he has no way to adjust yet. Poor guy is running into everything, and I can tell he's quite confused about the whole thing. He's been getting lots of special attention from me in the last few days, and he seems to be lapping that up. He still seems pretty cheerful, though I'm kind of a wreck about it.

Thanks guys.

I'm sure he'll adjust. He's my buddy, and he's not going anywhere as long as that tail still wags. I'll do everything I possibly can for him, he's always done his best for me. He already trust me without doubt it seems, as he'll go whereever I tell him is OK. He follows my voice and seems to be doing pretty good all things considered. This weekend will see a visit to the beach, as that's his favorite thing to do.

Sorry about your dog, man, that's really sad.

FWIW, I have a dog that is about 80% blind (and likely to progress) due to pigmentary keratitis in one eye and an unknown trauma to the other eye from before we adopted him. He can only see out of the upper quarter of his right eye. My vet said this is WAY better than if he lost his sense of smell, since they rely on smell so much more. Your dog will memorize a map of your entire house and property in his head and somehow navigate from memory. He won't recognize you by sight, but as soon as he smells you, he'll immediately wag his tail like crazy in recognition. We hardly notice he's mostly blind now unless we move furniture, then he crashes into it, and after a few days, he's fine again. I've read that there are many dog owners whose dog had gone blind for who knows how long, and they didn't know it until they rearranged their house, and all of a sudden the dog crashed into everything.

So, take heart, he's still the same happy dog. And as you've noticed, he probably doesn't miss his vision nearly as much as you would if you went blind. Just don't move the furniture often or leave things laying around too much, help him early on by guiding him around the stairs, make sure he knows where you are by sound and smell, approach him at his nose first (so he can smell you), make a sound before you pet him to avoid startling him, and make sure other people know to do the same.

Good luck! We love our almost blind dog, and he leads a very full doggy life!

Today I watched my dog go completely blind.

That is a real bugger - sorry to hear that. When you share your life with an animal it is really bad when something goes wrong.

On the upside, higher pets like cats and dogs don't philosophise about illness or worry about the future - they are much better at coping and just getting on with life than we are.