What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made it home to find the house un-robbed. I, who was once told that my tests revealed that 77% of the nation's middle schoolers demonstrated better mechanical aptitude than I, have located a phillips head screwdriver and am now going to attempt to put on a doorknob. Wish me luck.

I have no idea what the directions were trying to tell me, since they were only pictures and made no sense (yep, just like that test I had to take where they wanted to you look at pictures and decide what shape they would make if folded up). I seem to have a left over part, but I'm figuring it was optional since the dang thing is on and seems to work. Good enough after a long day.

I have no idea what the directions were trying to tell me, since they were only pictures and made no sense (yep, just like that test I had to take where they wanted to you look at pictures and decide what shape they would make if folded up). I seem to have a left over part, but I'm figuring it was optional since the dang thing is on and seems to work. Good enough after a long day.

It's highly likely that the knob you purchased was intended to be able to be used with a new door, which is to say one that would require all of its bits. Yours, already having some bits, didn't need all of them. If it works, it works.

Well, I took all the parts out from the old, so I'm not sure what could be left from the old door other than a hole, but there was this little circle thing that didn't seem to go anywhere, and in the picture was just sitting there without arrows pointing it to attach to anything. I don't know what it is, but the door opens and closes and the lock locks. I'm calling it a success.

Thanks, cj, but I think I'm good.

Paid my property tax, only a week late. broke.gif

Continued the saga of trying to get glasses. The frames I ordered that were supposed to arrive Friday of last week were delivered to the wrong office branch. They arrived yesterday at the right office, mixed in with other frames and not labeled in any fashion. They also had the wrong size temples on them. 140mm when I need 145mm. :palm: At least they got the finish right.

I have another appointment tomorrow at 3PM where I hope to get this resolved. As it stands now, it's looking like I won't have the glasses in time for my trip to the Vineyard next week, which is going to suck.

^ Good luck with the glasses Knuckles. I've been wearing glasses for few years now and I've always hated whenever I needed to get new frames/lenses (the fact I have a big noggin doesn't help as most regular frames don't fit me). Thankfully, we recently found a place we really like where they are actually helpful (choices and owners are bit eccentric, though).

On topic, I've been up since 2.30am when my daughter woke up. I've managed to get her back to sleep fairly quickly but I couldn't do that for myself. The work should be a lot fun today. :palm:

Okay, so because I have access to another car (my sister keeps one at my place for when she's in town, which is rare), I didn't get around to shopping tires until yesterday. Found out I have a weird size, so unless I can find exactly what I want elsewhere, I'll go back and order from Costco. While I was there, I asked him if he could bring up when I got my tires. "2006." "How many miles?" "37,000. If you have any more than 50,000 miles on your car, then yes, you should probably get new tires." "I have over 115,000 miles on my car." "Well, you definitely got your money's worth out of them." "I would say so." I looked when I got back in my car, I was off a little bit: I have 126,000 miles on my car. I put 89,000 miles on 20,000 mile tires (I think -- worst case, I put 89,000 miles on 80,000 mile tires, but I don't remember them being that high, but I would allow 40,000 -- I remember the higher mileage ones being more expensive, and remember not buying the most expensive ones). And I still have thread left on the other 3, so I probably just needed an alignment.

So of all the things that can be said about my driving, being hard on tires is not one of them.

Dusty: Kumho Solus KH16

(I assumed 2006 aerio sx wagon)

Okay, so because I have access to another car (my sister keeps one at my place for when she's in town, which is rare), I didn't get around to shopping tires until yesterday. Found out I have a weird size, so unless I can find exactly what I want elsewhere, I'll go back and order from Costco. While I was there, I asked him if he could bring up when I got my tires. "2006." "How many miles?" "37,000. If you have any more than 50,000 miles on your car, then yes, you should probably get new tires." "I have over 115,000 miles on my car." "Well, you definitely got your money's worth out of them." "I would say so." I looked when I got back in my car, I was off a little bit: I have 126,000 miles on my car. I put 89,000 miles on 20,000 mile tires (I think -- worst case, I put 89,000 miles on 80,000 mile tires, but I don't remember them being that high, but I would allow 40,000 -- I remember the higher mileage ones being more expensive, and remember not buying the most expensive ones). And I still have thread left on the other 3, so I probably just needed an alignment.

So of all the things that can be said about my driving, being hard on tires is not one of them.

Wow! Just got Dell to agree to exchange my Latitude D630 with a chronically overheating Nvidia NVS 135M video card.

They'll replace it with 'a newer model with equal or better specs and a different video card.' I hope I'm not jumping out of the pot and into the fire, though! Must have been the threat to come at them with a broken bottle! :)

I am about to send it in for the third time in less than two years for repair. The first two times they replaced the entire motherboard, the first time for a bad video card, the second time for a wifi card that stopped working, and now it keeps typing the number 4 no matter what I do, and diagnostics is sending an error code for something video related (can't recall the details). Also, after reading about the video card overheating problems the first time, I downloaded a temperature monitor and the GPU routinely spikes to 70-85 degrees Celsius when running a second monitor (which is almost all the time). It would probably go higher, but I disable the second monitor and close any flash programs, and it immediately drops back to 50-60C. I already have a pretty good laptop cooler. This is very disruptive to what I'm doing at the time.

I just saw that nvidia is about to settle a class action suit on this matter: The NVIDIA GPU Litigation - Home Page

This probably helped my case a bit ... thanks, lawyers! And thanks to broken bottle suggesters! ;)