What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard back from the ortho guy that MRI (unlike the x-rays) showed I have a fractured fibula but no torn ligaments. He still doesn't seem to believe it because now he tells me he was convinced I had a torn ACL from his examination last week. Going back this morning for further exam with MRI results in hand. If it is just the fibula, then no cast is required, but I cannot run or jump or otherwise stress it for 6 weeks or so. Could be worse.

I like your stand. Did you DIY it?

Yeah, It's a standard Flexy. I have some much better pictures I should put up.

Pretty much the easiest DIY I've ever attempted. It looks worse the closer you get, but without too much more effort it could really look pretty good. I might have to contact Dr. Wood about some proper shelves at some point.

Heard back from the ortho guy that MRI (unlike the x-rays) showed I have a fractured fibula but no torn ligaments. He still doesn't seem to believe it because now he tells me he was convinced I had a torn ACL from his examination last week. Going back this morning for further exam with MRI results in hand. If it is just the fibula, then no cast is required, but I cannot run or jump or otherwise stress it for 6 weeks or so. Could be worse.

Good news Al. A fractured fibula is nothing compared to torn ligaments. Hopefully that's the correct diagnosis. I'm surprised that he didn't notice a broken fibula on the x-ray.

Yeah, It's a standard Flexy. I have some much better pictures I should put up.

Pretty much the easiest DIY I've ever attempted. It looks worse the closer you get, but without too much more effort it could really look pretty good. I might have to contact Dr. Wood about some proper shelves at some point.

It looks great. I need to make one. Are those neoprene washers I see on the top shelf? If so, can you please tell me where you got them?

Fractured fibula which didn't show on the X-Rays but did on the MRI? Amazing... Anyway, great news, a bone fracture, or more likely a fissure if you don't need a cast, will solve more easily than any cartilage or ligaments damage. Congratulations ;D Take care of yourself.

It looks great. I need to make one. Are those neoprene washers I see on the top shelf? If so, can you please tell me where you got them?

That they are, and I picked them up from the little pull-out parts drawer at Home Depot. Lowes had a handful last time I was there, as well. It took me two trips a month apart to get all that I needed, and I cleaned them out both times.

I also opted for the "2 in front, 1 in back" threaded rod combo, againstrecommendations. Aside from having the power cord constantly hung up on that back rod when I am changing connections, I feel it was the right decision.

Me: I sat through a 3hr meeting that should have taken 1.
I sat through a 3 hour meeting that should have taken 9. I love these guys.

Re: smell -- probably just outgassing with no place to go. Try just leaving it open for a while.

Al, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's very good news. Bones heal, tendons don't heal "well" (once you overextend them, they never completely unstretch, for example -- that's why a sprain is in some ways worse than a break). Of course, that might have been a doctor trying to allay my fears about something in my distant past, so wouldn't mind knowing if this is actually true.

Al, glad to hear it's not the worst case scenario. Now, lose the "fracture" terminology. You done broke your leg. Chicks will dig the toughness.

Al,

Me: I sat through a 3hr meeting that should have taken 1.

Sounds like my conference call this morning. :palm:

Fractured fibula which didn't show on the X-Rays but did on the MRI? Amazing... Anyway, great news, a bone fracture, or more likely a fissure if you don't need a cast, will solve more easily than any cartilage or ligaments damage. Congratulations ;D Take care of yourself.

I agree with that. While a couple of my ribs and right shoulder blade are still still a little tender, by far the largest pain I have from my Feb crash is soft tissue damage in my left shoulder. I'd been trying to figure it out as I hit the ground on my right side. Recently I think I've figured it out. By moving my arm around to see what positions caused the most pain, I figure that my arm must have been slung up and behind my head when I hit. Hopefully this will eventually heal. I'm definitely at the age where I don't heal as well or as quickly as I did when I was young.

Ken, maybe you need a MRI scan of your left shoulder. Perhaps it's a rotatory muscle lesion. They are quite painful, hard to track and treat.

I had the hopes you were completely well from that crash. Sorry to read you're not :(

Thanks for your concern. I'm almost completely OK. I finally got back into shape enough to be able to do push ups again. But there is pain in the shoulder. I'll get the MRI that you suggest.

Thanks for your concern. I'm almost completely OK. I finally got back into shape enough to be able to do push ups again. But there is pain in the shoulder. I'll get the MRI that you suggest.

:) Let me know the outcome. Maybe there's not any lesion, but with some well planned exercises you can overcome the pain and make the whole thing a past issue ;)

Yep, I saw them side by side myself and you can see things on the MRI that your really cannot see on the x-ray. The x-ray was the next morning and the MRI was three days later, so the MRI shows the indication of the fracture as a small line either white when it should be dark or vice-versa.

Anyway, the doc looked me over and scrutinized the scans and confirmed a fractured fibular head. No ligament damage, no surgery, no cast, and no physical therapy other than eventual stretching and such. Pretty relieved but I have 6-8 weeks of little to no exercise. Wait, now I have an excuse to do what I already do! :prettyprincess: