What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's the eye?

Mostly better, thanks. It doesn't hurt anymore but it still doesn't feel exactly "right." I did see my general practitioner last week. He asked me a couple basic questions and said I didn't need to see the optometrist immediately (I just saw one a month ago.) I have another appointment with my doc in early May. He said if my eye is still bothering me then, I should go back to the eye doc. I do have a prescription for eye glasses now. They have to be made out of "safety glass" material, whatever that is (plastic?) Of course that still won't help with stray laser beams.

shoot.gif

Beefy, morphsci and Amicalement, thanks a lot guys. Overall, I did pretty well. I think my adviser and the adjunct professor were both impressed. I didnt know that you guys (-Beefy, who is a cool secret bio science person iirc) were professors!

Good Profs can smell bullshit from a mile away. So don't be afraid to say, "I don't know, but I'll look it up as soon as I'm done here"......

I had to say that a few times during the presentation.

I dont know what is your field of study is but what I like from my students presentations is to see a student who is able to ''tell'' a complete story. (Meaning) You have to show that you know a subject (the easy part) AND (the difficult part) you have to bring your own personal contribution in the critical section of your work. Profs are living to find something new coming from their grad students.

Good luck.

Amicalement

My professor demands that something new and novel be done for any thesis.

All good advice. Myself I generally try to gauge the depth of understanding as well as seeing if the student has an appreciation of how their subject fits in with the broader subject matter of the discipline. And x2 on the no BS.

It is always fun asking young cellular or molecular biologists what the physiological relevance of their project is - most don't have a clue. Missing the forest for the trees......

I'm a biomedical engineering student so applying things to real life is basically the main focus of what I do.

Time to go beg molecular biologists for some data sets that I can work with now!

After the first hockey game, I came back, listened to the pico dac->pico slim->jh13s for a while, then went and watched another couple of hockey games. Thomas's team came from a 3-1 deficit to tie, with thomas scoring the first, and was on the ice for the other 2. Then we watched St Norberts' (with 2 former fairbanks ice dogs) beat Oswego State to advance to the finals in the Division 3 Frozen Four. Now I'm getting ready to drag my keg down to the lobby and drink with some hockey parents.

(-Beefy, who is a cool secret bio science person iirc) were professors!

I'm a biomedical engineering student so applying things to real life is basically the main focus of what I do.

HEH! Not a professor yet - postdoc fellow - but working towards it. Funnily enough, I'm a physiologist who is working in...... drumroll...... Biomedical Engineering.

And FWIW, my work isn't so super secret anymore, because it isn't fucking working :palm:

No problem stretch! Boobs are overrate........ no theyre not, theyre awesome

HEH! Not a professor yet - postdoc fellow - but working towards it. Funnily enough, I'm a physiologist who is working in...... drumroll...... Biomedical Engineering.

And FWIW, my work isn't so super secret anymore, because it isn't fucking working :palm:

:(

Ear impressions for JH13s. Another set of impressions for ACS sleeves for the Etys too, while I was there.

Also went to see if I could hear the Aktimate desktop speakers, but the dealer in that section of London - in a couple blocks of Tottenham Court Road that looks like shitty-fly-by-night-looking electronics dealers row, though this dealer looked better than most - didn't stock them any more. Will phone ahead before I try any more dealers.

Got pretty twisted at a bar playing beer pong due to buying too many pitchers. Took a trip uptown to get 53rd and 6th chicken and rice. Bought an extra to take home. Passed out immediately after getting home and just woke up. Took a shower and am going to try to go back to bed. Yay for lunch tomorrow, haha.

Woke up at 4:00 am. Worried about stuff. Becoming a habit. :palm:
Before my international move I was a mess that way. Woke at 1, 2, or 3, and didn't really sleep properly even up to that point. I did the modern thing and got myself medicated. It was absolutely the right thing to do. I wish I'd done it sooner.