Deals

Dusty Chalk

given how old it is, my guess is they just realized they had a ton of them that weren't selling, and decided to just blow them out.  Anyway, it looks like a screaming deal, so I'm in.  Now I just hope it works with my 3tb drives.

Pretty good price??? For the price of a single, standalone drive/device I'd say it's a bit more than pretty good. ;)

Now, I really wish I'd jumped on the 2TB drives when they were for sale. If anyone sees a deal on Green drives again please let me know. Wait, the 2TB's appear to be on sale...

[edit]Any thoughts on the difference between the EARX and EZRX versions of the Green drives?

No reason that I can think of, Dinny.  If the Drobo gives you enough space and you don't mind it being tethered to a machine you should be all set.  What I want is a storage solution that's not attached to anything other than the router and allows me to stream media to the PS3 and other devices around the house.  I kind of have that now with a 2-bay unit that I bought a month ago but 5 bays is better than 2 bays and all that...

Pretty good price??? For the price of a single, standalone drive/device I'd say it's a bit more than pretty good. ;)

Now, I really wish I'd jumped on the 2TB drives when they were for sale. If anyone sees a deal on Green drives again please let me know. Wait, the 2TB's appear to be on sale...

[edit]Any thoughts on the difference between the EARX and EZRX versions of the Green drives?

Yeah, I was being conservative; I've paid nearly that much for a raw drive cage with no processing power. I think my only concern would be the processor, I wonder how long a raid set rebuild will take on it...guess I'll test it out when it shows up! :)

On general principles I'd actually avoid the Green's for NAS and stick with the Red drives due to the Green drives tendency to spin-down on its own. Synology's OS has that function built in sot here shouldn't be too much difference in power usage if you enable the drive hibernation/spin-down in the settings.

Edited by Nebby

Green or Red? The Red's are designed for NASsesses. I know the early days of Green weren't compatible with everything, especially NASes. Anyone know about this one? I see they are in the compatibility list, does that mean it's okay?

EDIT: Yeah, that (just read Nebby's post).

EDIT #2: In answer to your question, EZRX is just a little newer.  Also, see here.

Green or Red? The Red's are designed for NASsesses. I know the early days of Green weren't compatible with everything, especially NASes. Anyone know about this one? I see they are in the compatibility list, does that mean it's okay?

EDIT: Yeah, that (just read Nebby's post).

EDIT #2: In answer to your question, EZRX is just a little newer.  Also, see here.

I believe the green drives are compatible, but it's better to have the parking done by the OS than the drive.

Edited by Nebby

No reason that I can think of, Dinny.  If the Drobo gives you enough space and you don't mind it being tethered to a machine you should be all set.  What I want is a storage solution that's not attached to anything other than the router and allows me to stream media to the PS3 and other devices around the house.  I kind of have that now with a 2-bay unit that I bought a month ago but 5 bays is better than 2 bays and all that...

Nate, what are you using to stream to PS3?  What I had been using (MediaLink) stopped working couple of weeks ago for no apparent reason and I haven't been able to fix it (it doesn't help MediaLink's customer support is nonexistent).

Nate, what are you using to stream to PS3?  What I had been using (MediaLink) stopped working couple of weeks ago for no apparent reason and I haven't been able to fix it (it doesn't help MediaLink's customer support is nonexistent).

Iomega StorCenter IX2-dl.  If the Synology works out I'd be happy to pass along the screaming deal that I got on it (including 2x1TB drives).