Deals

Dusty Chalk

Bummer....oh, well, I think I'll do the escalation thing if I get a wall mount, and see if it gets me anywhere.....I can have a lot of fun escalating through multiple levels of management.

I think what especially would piss me off is that they brought it back "in stock" at the same price even after they realized they had an issue.  That would be a major escalation point for me....

So did you get yours yet?

No, but just got a message at home today that they "may" have shipped the wrong item.....but no worries, they flagged my account already, and will happily send a return label for RMA and credit me.

Dinks.....

Going to call and complain to no end, just to see if they'll give me anything....

No, but just got a message at home today that they "may" have shipped the wrong item.....but no worries, they flagged my account already, and will happily send a return label for RMA and credit me.

Dinks.....

Going to call and complain to no end, just to see if they'll give me anything....

Got the same voicemail and UPS lists the package as 19lbs, which is exactly the specified weight of the plate.

Nate, how many bays do you really need?  I was looking at 2 bay units in case I could talk them into that as a "like kind" replacement.  At this point, I'll probably get something like this, but not at NewEgg.

Ideally I think 4.  But I never seem to have enough time to really get into it.  I've half-assed it up to this point but my frustration is getting to the point where I'd like a long term solution even if it means a substantial investment.

Well, the DS413j is only $375 at B&H, but I don't know why it's so much less expensive than the regular DS413, other than it's not black.  (with the DS411slim, I at least understand why it's so cheap)

Also, the DS411 (non-slim) is $376 'til Saturday.

EDIT:  Scratch that, it's the slim again, it comes with a hard drive, and apparently they didn't have room for both the drive and the full designation.

Ideally I think 4. But I never seem to have enough time to really get into it. I've half-assed it up to this point but my frustration is getting to the point where I'd like a long term solution even if it means a substantial investment.

Yep. That's where I was a few weeks ago and decided to apply typical HC overkill strategy to the problem.

Well, the DS413j is only $375 at B&H, but I don't know why it's so much less expensive than the regular DS413, other than it's not black. (with the DS411slim, I at least understand why it's so cheap)

Also, the DS411 (non-slim) is $376 'til Saturday.

EDIT: Scratch that, it's the slim again, it comes with a hard drive, and apparently they didn't have room for both the drive and the full designation.

The 413 has a dual-core processor, double the RAM and USB 3.0 ports compared to the 413j. In general for the Synology units the j models differ in having less processing power and poorer external connections.

Chatted with a trying-to-be-helpful-but-not-given-any-power-to-make-decisions Customer Support Supervisor.  She processed my RMA, and offered me a $20 Gift Card.  I alternated between calm but livid, and then sad to see what the company has become.

I denied the $20, calling it not much of a gesture, then wrote via the website to Customer Service & requested contact from someone who actually cared about their customers.....laid out a ramble of a story, along with other issues I've had with them but never cared enough to write about until this "last straw."  I said I would likely close my account and go back to try TigerDirect again, but was too nervous to do it now lest they screw up this RMA & refund (also mentioned that some didn't get shipping refunded).

Even if it gets me nowhere, it's fun to vent.....I think I helped Jessica the Supervisor practice her Customer Service phone skills (she didn't quite fail, but it was clear she only had scripts to go against and no power to authorize much else beyond the gift card).  No offer to escalate, no offer to help try and find a similar product, etc.

It is really sad what has become of the 'Egg.  I remember, a dozen or so years ago, pricewatch.com was the place to shop for computer hardware.  Then the 'Egg showed up and 'ricewatch became a thing of the past.  I haven't had any experiences nearly as bad as the above, but these days I've been increasingly buying my computer hardware and the like from AMZN.

Edited by Knuckledragger

I just sent an email requesting that the shipping be refunded.  I also let them know that I wouldn't be considering Newegg for future purchases.

Dan, didn't they email you a UPS label to use to ship it back?  They at least did that for me so I only have to deal with the original shipping from them to me.

Edited by guzziguy

I can't believe they weren't refunding shipping by default...

I am actually hoping that they will give me a better deal on another decent NAS system.  The $20 isn't so bad if I felt like they were really making good on something, but it was the lack of real attempts at customer service that just irked me.  The supervisor just wanted to process the refund and get me off the phone, was seemingly TRYING to be helpful; but looking back on it I realize she never even apologized....it was in essence scripted, with only so much she could do to help.

I really want to see if someone gets back to me, she DID say that the contact info on the web site goes to higher visibility then her.  So we'll see.....

This is more a test to see how far they'll go in the name of customer service & satisfaction.  At a minimum, I'll get the refund (including shipping!).