Welcome -=ChildoftheHorn=-

justin

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else hate the phrase "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" when used to dismiss the opinions of others with which one disagrees?

Morphsci, I understand your line of thought, but my experience has been that it does no kindness to anyone to allow any individual to continue in self-deception. If fact, it's a twisted and, therefore, evil kindness to attempt to soothe what doesn't deserve soothing, ignore what's been given to us to see, and excuse what is inexcusable. That this is being presented in a group manner is the result of -=germania=- posting in group settings. Reality is what it is, and whether pleasing or not, I like it.

Sometimes, I have a hard time describing things as well.

Stacy,

I've gotten on your case quite a bit and have vented to the point where I'm considered the official head-case -=stalker=- :)

Be that as it may, I sincerely offer the following for consideration:

Due to diagnosed ADHD and a couple learning disabilities, I too have a difficult time with "communication."

But we all must work with what we have. :)

Almost 30 years in the work force has reinforced the mandatory requirement to strive for clear and precise communication with others. I've found that almost all of the technical issues, defects, problems, bugs, snafus, etc. I have experienced were not technical errors, but errors of communication between human beings--both senders and receivers.

Great engineers are great communicators: both sending and receiving.

Here's a ditty I picked up many years ago: "The essence of communication is intention."

So, when you determine what you are expressing does not accurately represent your intention--don't say it at that time. Be patient with yourself. Wrestle with the problem. Kick its ass. And always, always, always seek and challenge your preconceptions and assumptions.

That demonstrates real strength.

For starters, I highly recommend simply framing and asking great questions. :)

-Michael

P.S, In terms of execution, writing the above was difficult. The clarity and organization demonstrated consistently by Voltron (Al) and Boomana (Vicki) (and many others here--you all are way too good) inspire me. I'm grateful.

Edited by ingwe
fucking OCD...

Does anyone else hate the phrase "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" when used to dismiss the opinions of others with which one disagrees?

Yes, I do. However, I do believe that and it is the concept I fall back on, sometimes unsuccessfully, to keep my arguements civil.

Morphsci, I understand your line of thought, but my experience has been that it does no kindness to anyone to allow any individual to continue in self-deception. If fact, it's a twisted and, therefore, evil kindness to attempt to soothe what doesn't deserve soothing, ignore what's been given to us to see, and excuse what is inexcusable. That this is being presented in a group manner is the result of -=germania=- posting in group settings.

I was not implying that every post in this thread was merely a piling on. There are posts in this thread which actually attempt to be helpful. Some of those posts are somewhat harsh, but I have no problem with them. There are also posts which are meant to be harsh and/or demeaning and those seem rather unneccessary as there is little to nothing there meant to be helpful.

My reality is what it is, and whether pleasing or not, I like it.

FTFY as two peoples reality may or may not converge, IMO.

spiderjerusalemfi3.jpg

Oh I have been a bastard and will almost certainly be one again, but unfortunately it doesn't always work.

FIFY

No, I actually meant that everyone except aerius was entitled to their own opinion. But that is only because I dismiss aerius, not his opinions :P

Guest aaron313

I'm with most people with regard to your absolute cockiness, Stacy. I am almost finished with a double major in engineering (Chem/Nuke), and I will freely admit that I have approximately ZERO actual engineering skills. Yes, I worked in a fluid mechanics lab for about seven months experimenting with devices, but I don't count that. That's the closest I have come to being an engineer.

And you obviously are casting yourself in a bad light to many (most?) people on HF if we came to similar views, often apart from one another (and then joined together in a pack). I was put off by some of the comments of yours I ever read. Yet I can't say I hate you, but rather think somebody needs to educate you on how to behave. I don't run around saying "Ooooh... Aaron's so smart, Aaron got straight A's, Aaron won all the awards, etc." You DO realize that many of the people on HC are extremely accomplished professionals, in addition to their audio knowledge, right? Fact is, the people here are smart (and some of them are wise). So shut the hell up and you might learn something from them.

I know very very little about electronics, a little more about audio, and a bit more about human psychology. I need it daily at work to "catch" how my interlocutor's mind works.

IMHO Stacy doesn't give a damn about HC members' opinion about herself or about sound, audio, electronics... I don't think she wants to be educated, and it's quite obvious that she won't change the perception of a world which isn't spinning around her. She lives in a Stacy-centric universe, which is good for having helped her to overcome her personal ghosts and limitations, which I'm not completely sure she already knows. But she'd never recognize even if she knew.

I'm amazed for Boomana's kindness and thoughtful hints, but this is like preaching in the desert to a deaf audience. I wish Stacy proved me wrong, but I have very little hopes.

@Boomana: I like better "to each one his own" than "everyone is entitled to his opinion" ;) Maybe I've been many years over audio forums and I've got tired of trying to get worth discussions with most people, so if someone is not willing to listen and looking at things from a different perspective, I won't waste my valuable time. Not for being it worthier than anybody else's, but just for being the only one I have left for the rest of my life.

Rgrds

I know very very little about electronics, a little more about audio, and a bit more about human psychology. I need it daily at work to "catch" how my interlocutor's mind works.

IMHO Stacy doesn't give a damn about HC members' opinion about herself or about sound, audio, electronics... I don't think she wants to be educated, and it's quite obvious that she won't change the perception of a world which isn't spinning around her. She lives in a Stacy-centric universe, which is good for having helped her to overcome her personal ghosts and limitations, which I'm not completely sure she already knows. But she'd never recognize even if she knew...s

Sort of like a Sociopath?

Couldn't help but notice the end of the thread being sprinkled with aerius chatter... was he banned or did he storm out Asr style or something? ???

if it makes you feel any better, i hate you because you're jewish.
That really made me laugh out loud. :D
Also, I demand an in-person impression of Dr. Kevin Gilmore if you've met him.
I've met him too, you know. ;)

A little off topic, I know, but does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket IEM cable that doesn't have 'plasticky' sounding bass and adds a little 'zap' to the sound?

I already have a patent on carrying electricity using plastic carrier bags. Getting the material to behave like a Layden Jar was difficult, however using lightning bolts and wet rope with a key hanging off it, I was able to find a means to achieve holding without the bag sticking to the nearest wall or wool jersey.

SiK had a line out dock long before ALO was buying camo hats. I had to point this out one time when he was defending his ingenuity a little too vehemently. He countered that his was the first dedicated LOD that didn't have the firewire port on it...

oh, so yours is less functional and therefore the more noteworthy...

Stacy, I'm going to try and be helpful, and you'll think about things or not. These are examples of things that frustrate many of us, just from your website alone:

This is a very lively and punchy sounding iPod Dock with great extention and just as much detail as our Ag Crystal Dock.
You will get the detail and highs of silver with the warmth and presentation of Copper.
This dock is for someone who appreciates a lot of air and staging combined with sparkling highs and that classic detail you could ever want.
The sound is very versatile and seems to do nothing wrong.
The sound is very open and smooth.
This is gobbledygook. You're making things up that you think mean something, but they mean nothing at all. If you aren't making things up, please answer these questions:

What do you mean when you say a dock has good extension? Compared to what? Which docks have less or more extension for you to be able to make such a claim?

What do you mean by "the presentation of copper"? When I think of copper's presentation, I think of the copper roof my childhood neighbors had. It presented as green.

What do you mean by "this dock is for those who appreciate air"? What's your definition of "air"?

What's your definition of "staging" and how can a dock give me that?

What the heck is "classic detail"?

What do you mean by "open" (is that the same as "air"?), and what do you mean by "smooth"?

he effort is well worth the result which does much to alleviate some of the perceived issues with soundstaging, detail, treble performance, and "plastic" sounding bass inherent in IEMs.
Okay, I can't even begin to imagine what you were thinking here: "alleviate perceived issues"? WTF? This is just trash.

How can all these docks possess such identifiably diverse qualities? Which headphones did you use to test, and when you used different headphones, did Dock Whatever always improve staging?

I'm not going to get into the outlandishness of some of your claims, but you need to be able to back up your statements if you're going to sell things to people. Since you're clearly trying to make these words sound good, as opposed to conveying accurate claims to anyone with a bit of experience, you might want double check the words you choose, as well as spelling and grammar (yes, I know the site's in construction).

If you want to receive any credibility, please remove the claims that you and your friends are professional engineers. That's purposeful lying for monetary gain, which is criminal in spirit, if not law. Please clean up the pretend audiophile language. It's embarrassing, not impressive.

I'm willing to extend a benefit of the doubt to you that since the site is not yet finished, you haven't thoroughly thought things through. However, if you believe your cables possess these qualities, and if you are genuinely confident that all your cables do as you have claimed, and stand by your statements, send them to me for testing. I have very revealing headphones, and a few other docks and cables with which I can compare. I would report a full review as accurately as my ears and vocabulary allow in describing what I hear, and would offer praise if praise is due. This is a real offer. Feel free to respond here or by pm.