HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

That actually sounds like a very solid combo.

You guys don't like the Lavry? I preferred it to the Benchmark.

I liked the Lavry DA10 a little more than my Apogee mini-DAC when plaidplatypus brought his over to try out with my stats. It cost a little more than I could afford, and I wanted XLR and RCA out; so I ended up with PS Audio Digital Link III after I compared it with a Stello DA100 Signature for a couple of hours. I really wanted a DA11 with the crossfade.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefered it to the Benchmark as well, but the Zhalou D2C w/Zapfilter completely obliviated the DA10 and Benchmark at 1/2 the cost.

The Zapped Opus took it a step further, again at well below the Lavry and Benchmark price of admition.

Unkle Erik lays it on thick with a lot of things.

He said in a post that the HD650s w/ Zu Cable // Balanced Beta 22 // Lavry DA10 was heaven. IO owned this combination and I wasn't impressed.

I think the Lavry is shite and Icarium will back me up on that.

Although I have no complaints on the Beta 22.

EDIT: Just realized that some of this may be personal taste. Unkle Erik is prbly a good god-fearing civilian like you and I.

So much for posting on Head-Case drunk.

:)

I'm going to try and get a feel for these headphones in the main DT48 thread going on right now. I hope Uncle Erik saves the day with some actual logic and good impressions because right now things aren't looking hopeful. I'm pretty sure kool bubba ice is going to get over these soon and find something new to rave about, like he did the multitude of headphones prior to these.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure kool bubba ice is going to get over these soon and find something new to rave about, like he did the multitude of headphones prior to these.

I think only then will we be able to distinguish the hyperbole from reality and truly understand what the hell they are. "First headphone ever created" "Archetype for all headphones" "Puts me in a heightened state" "Easily the most realistic I've ever heard" blah blah blah. Everytime I need a good laugh I read that dumb thread.

The 48 has a proven track record. 60 plus yrs.:P HD800 has none.. I'm sure they will be revolutionary though.. & might get rid of 1 48 to help cover the cost.

A proven track record of what? It's an old design? It's durable? It's cheap to make?

Plenty of designs have been around for many decades, it doesn't make them any better or worse than what is currently available. That "track record" means nothing.

It's probably fair to say Beyers don't get enough attention. You rarely see the DT150 or DT250-250 recommended even though they're among the better closed cans. I liked the DT250-250 a lot. I'm pretty skeptical about the DT48 though, but it's probably worth a listen.

I'm going to try and get a feel for these headphones in the main DT48 thread going on right now. I hope Uncle Erik saves the day with some actual logic and good impressions because right now things aren't looking hopeful. I'm pretty sure kool bubba ice is going to get over these soon and find something new to rave about, like he did the multitude of headphones prior to these.

Yes, I raved about others, but nothing like this.. You get off the planar trip & I'll get off the Dt48 trip.

:asshat:

If Uncle Erik weren't also adamant about the DT-48 without clearly trying to start some shit up, I'd dismiss the headphone as yet another FOTM and lose interest completely. I'm still half expecting them to sound like sonic feces.

Hopefully I can try the HD800 at the next meet in the DC area, whenever that might be. Read: hopefully Sennheiser will finally start sending them out soon and Dreadhead can make it to the next meet so I can listen to it.:)

If accurate & neutral is sonic feces then you will hate them.. You really are two faced password. Erik agrees with me about the 48, yet you crap on me when I say the same thing.. Yes, I am more vocal about them.. I'm sure you want more people to try planar. When Erik says they are realistic, you say nothing. I do, & I'm crazy.

First stereo headphone every created. Still in production after 50-60 yrs. Build quality on par with the HP1, according to erik.. Yes, they are special.. Whether you want to admit that or not is another question. & FOTM for headphones that old?:palm: You sound like a newb..

Mike Mclean Motown engineer.

I did some experimenting whereby I placed my head directly above the microphone and alternately listened to the direct sound of the band, and then, by putting on the headphones, to the recorded sound. Except for the change in spatial perspective (the sound was inside my head instead of in front of me) associated with the headphones, the basic quality, and timbre of the sound was virtually identical. I remember being very pleased by the precision of this successful direct comparison.

Adanaco61

The Dt48 has already opened my eyes to a whole new world of headphone listening above the Mid-Fi world of hd600 , K701 and the like .

Uncle Erik

As for comparison to the K-1000, the DT48 has a similar neutral timbre and excellent range. The DT48 is faster, more transparent and more resolving to me. I can pick out details I haven't noticed before. That might be because the DT48 is closed and much closer to my ear. The K-1000 wins for soundstage, slightly better bass, and comfort.

Uncle Erik

I don't know what the secret sauce is for the unreal level of detail. Must have beem something the Beyerdynamic engineers have cooked up over the years. Whatever they've done, it is one of the most revealing drivers on this planet.

Uncle Erik

Look at the Beyerdynamic DT48. The soundstage isn't huge, but the detail, precision and neutrality are stunning.

I mean, they completely demolish the K-701. No comparison whatsoever, they're in a different league.

Uncle Erik

Tonally, they're dead neutral, just like the planars, as well as very good headphones like the K-1000, HP-2, K-240DF, and HD-600. Things just sound accurate from the DT48, while pulling more detail than the others. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do

Jrosenth

They don't have any bass and they are ultra analytic (as opposed to musical or organic) but if you can get past that they are the most revealing cans I've ever heard - as in they make the AKG 501 or the Beyer 880 or the Grado RS-1 or the Senn 600 all sound like they have a veil over them. You can clearly heard details in them that you can't with the other cans (things like background voices in a club recording, for instance).

Jrosenth

There were beyers very first dynamic headphone and are stilla well respected staple. The list for about $400 and are great. Search the threads for impression but they make the AKG 501 sound slow and sluggish - yes their midrange is that good but they don't have a good deal of bass. Worth hearing once in your life.

A proven track record of what? It's an old design? It's durable? It's cheap to make?

Plenty of designs have been around for many decades, it doesn't make them any better or worse than what is currently available. That "track record" means nothing.

Name me another headphone that has been in production longer? Track record of success proves nothing? Longevity means nothings now.. It should not account for everything since some of the best headphones had a limited release, but seriously.. The DT48 retails for nearly 450..Solid steel build.. Nuts & bolts.. Aluminum housing, etc.. I take it you never heard of the DT48? Not a insult. I just found out about them last yr..

Erik has compared them favorably to his K1000/HP-2.