HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

I have a pair on order and I am in no rush, in fact, a month or so after 4/15 would be perfect. Like guzzi said, if they are at CJ and I don't like them, then I can cancel my order. I don't mind taking advantage of a return policy at big stores, like Best Buy but I would prefer not to do that to Todd or Tyll.

Agree. Especially in a situation such as this where you will be able to make your money back (for the most part) on the FS boards.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. Especially in a situation such as this where you will be able to make your money back (for the most part) on the FS boards.

Though I wouldn't do it (at least not here >:D), I suspect that one could actual resell and make a profit. At least until the supply becomes consistent.

I don't think most people have a problem with utilizing the return policy as it has, for the most part, been described here. I think most people would have a problem with abusing the return policy for the express purpose of being able to listen to the HD800's for 30 days. In other words, they intend to return it -- whether they like it or not. That is abusing the return policy.

To reward myself for getting a job after being "semi-retired" for more than a year, I just pre-ordered a pair from Headroom. Tyll gave me a coffee cup at the Orange County Audiophile meet and I owe him. ;)

Actually, I'm hoping that they don't ship before CanJam. Then I'll be able to listen to them and cancel the order if I'm not impressed enough. If I do get them and decide not to keep them, I'll dispose of them through here or HF rather than send them back to Headroom, unless there is an actual problem with the pair I received.

Congratulations for your new job Ken. I hope you like it ;D Oh yes, and the cans too ;)

Congratulations for your new job Ken. I hope you like it ;D Oh yes, and the cans too ;)

Thanks Antonio. So far, I'm having a fun time. I'm working for a small company doing military contracts. It all involves non-classified data so There isn't that hassle. I've work with the Technical Lead before and get along well with her. The job is part-time (20 hours/week) so the pressure is quite low. It gives me something to do and finances my toys. Almost perfect. :D

I don't think most people have a problem with utilizing the return policy as it has, for the most part, been described here. I think most people would have a problem with abusing the return policy for the express purpose of being able to listen to the HD800's for 30 days. In other words, they intend to return it -- whether they like it or not. That is abusing the return policy.

Exactly. Anyone that orders hd800s and who has no intention of buying them under any circumstance is abusing the community. I hope those people use amazon's return policy instead of headroom's.

I heard them at the FSi show at Montreal.

Audition them for a good 20 min with my music and compared them with my familiar HD650 Equinox's recabled.

Have audition at the same time the combo HE90 with the Orpheus tube amp. 8-)

Was a bit noisy to doing a carefull listening session but I know HE90 are very very good. I recognize the house Sennheiser sound and the music is light, fast and detailed. I know my preferences are toward that.

Confort, the HE90 win over the HD800 (I find them big on my head). But HD800 are light, no pressure on head, fit good. I can probably wear them for a long time and forget them. With HD650 ... I know I wear headphone.

The source was a generic Onkyo amp with a low cost cd player (but was enough to do HD650 vs HD800).

The big and distant drivers give something different. Less studio sound and more open and natural.

In fact, I like studio sound .. it's warmer, more tamed, more envelopping bass. The enclosure is smaller ...

But the HD800 soundstage is very wide and tall, natural, very detailled, no veil. Sounds not forming inside my head ... all is around me. Enclosure is bigger.

It's fun to hear as much space in the layers.

I am sure they will fit better on tube amp (tube amp add mid/bass to add body, soft a bit the highs, bring more substance in the mid-range). On the Onkyo was too dry for my tastes and the bass was a bit light and the highs was metallic.

The cord is very flexible and I don't want for sure have a brighter cord ... the HD800 are bright enough. Third party cord will have to take care for that. Too detailled can be too bright. You need bring details without add brightness, it's the difficulty.

I have no reason to cancel my order. I will need time to adapt myself to the new sound and after I will be capable to tell if I prefer HD650, HD800, Stax O2 ... ;-)

It's one of the top headphones ... but not the only player ... You the only judge to tell witch one you prefer and money can be a consideration too .

Thanks Antonio. So far, I'm having a fun time. I'm working for a small company doing military contracts. It all involves non-classified data so There isn't that hassle. I've work with the Technical Lead before and get along well with her. The job is part-time (20 hours/week) so the pressure is quite low. It gives me something to do and finances my toys. Almost perfect. :D

But will it be enough to finance your wine jones? :cool:

I thought that was what you were for. :D

Seriously though, if you need some help on your Wedell allocation, let me know. I'd be happy to help make your membership cost effective. :P

So noted. Warm up that checkbook......... No word from Maurice yet but soon I suspect. Your the Headcase TARP representative.

Tasty

Alcoholcollection

Refinancing

Participant

Edited by Augsburger
MSNBC Notification From Jim Cramer

HeadRoom has an HD800 ad in the April '09 issue of Stereophile (which I got back in March of course but haven't started reading until recently). Here's the print from it:

These are good times to be a headphone lover. Just a couple of months ago, we told you about the best sealed-back headphone we've ever heard, the Denon AH-D7000. This month we'd like to entertain you with a look at what we think is the best headphone..ever..period.

What we hear from the Sennheiser HD800 is, in a word, stunning. The transient response is lightning quick, without a hint of harshness or glare; the image is precise and deep without sounding veiled or washed-out; the extension of both the highs & lows is fully articulate and neutral; and the ever-so-important midrange is seamlessly coherent and naturally balanced. These headphones are exactly what we've been waiting to hear for 16 years.

The new HD800 is simply the best headphone we've ever heard. Okay, maybe 'best' is a poor choice of words as it implies a reliance on something more objective than our own opinion. Part of our experience with these cans is what other enthusiasts -- whose knowledgeable ears we trust and all with very varied tastes -- have commented. To a person, they've uniformly exclaimed the HD800 is likely the best they have ever heard. High praise indeed.

For more information on this amazing reference headphone and some of the groundbreaking technologies within, please feel free to visit our website at www(dot)headphone.com, email our sales team at [email protected], or call us at 1-800-828-8184. We'd sure love to help you get this previously unheard level of performance right between your ears.

:asshat:

If Uncle Erik weren't also adamant about the DT-48 without clearly trying to start some shit up, I'd dismiss the headphone as yet another FOTM and lose interest completely. I'm still half expecting them to sound like sonic feces.

Hopefully I can try the HD800 at the next meet in the DC area, whenever that might be. Read: hopefully Sennheiser will finally start sending them out soon and Dreadhead can make it to the next meet so I can listen to it.:)

:asshat:

If Uncle Erik weren't also adamant about the DT-48 without clearly trying to start some shit up, I'd dismiss the headphone as yet another FOTM and lose interest completely. I'm still half expecting them to sound like sonic feces.

Hopefully I can try the HD800 at the next meet in the DC area, whenever that might be. Read: hopefully Sennheiser will finally start sending them out soon and Dreadhead can make it to the next meet so I can listen to it.:)

Unkle Erik lays it on thick with a lot of things.

He said in a post that the HD650s w/ Zu Cable // Balanced Beta 22 // Lavry DA10 was heaven. IO owned this combination and I wasn't impressed.

I think the Lavry is shite and Icarium will back me up on that.

Although I have no complaints on the Beta 22.

EDIT: Just realized that some of this may be personal taste. Unkle Erik is prbly a good god-fearing civilian like you and I.

So much for posting on Head-Case drunk.

Unkle Erik lays it on thick with a lot of things.

He said in a post that the HD650s w/ Zu Cable // Balanced Beta 22 // Lavry DA10 was heaven. IO owned this combination and I wasn't impressed.

I think the Lavry is shite and Icarium will back me up on that.

That actually sounds like a very solid combo.

You guys don't like the Lavry? I preferred it to the Benchmark.