Go figure

grawk

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if I want to use my HD800s on the go. ;)

Just apply what we've heard so far Stretch, it has ~100db of attenuation compared to the standard ~60db so it's able to have a higher gain but still provide ample adjustment for sensitive phones. Hence, no gain switch required, its "range" if you will is unprecedented.

Just apply what we've heard so far Stretch, it has ~100db of attenuation compared to the standard ~60db so it's able to have a higher gain but still provide ample adjustment for sensitive phones. Hence, no gain switch required, its "range" if you will is unprecedented.

Assuming a normal attenuation curve, which was what I wasn't sure about.

It's a variable gain amplifier, so it already has plenty of gain switches ;)

Each step is .5dB. Max gain is 6x -- so you can max the output of this amplifier with a source output as low as 0.25Vrms.

Damn that is some awesome fine-tuning! Will you be implementing this attenuator in one of your home amps as well later on? Because that would kick so much ass!

Ha; when I saw the Pico/Slim comparo pix, I immediately dug through my computer bag for the little pouch containing my old 1st gen iMod Nano and Sensa 2XS. The Slim looks to be about the same size (head-on view) as the Nano; slightly larger. This would make for quite the interesting micro solution.

Reads like the removal of the gain switch and channel matching an even better (and more realistic) reason for considering the Slim. Yes?

This all prompted me to listen to the Pico - Imod Nano - Sensa combination. Still one sweet little porta-rig. Been spinning lossless all afternoon.

Damn-it-all! Yesterday, I was looking at the Pico DAC, convinced that I "needed" for the office when using the Stax 005 set. Now this? Hmmm, logic dictates that I get both. Right?

{{shakes self and remembers the stat amp mission}}

Nice stuff, Justin; as usual.

Damn-it-all! Yesterday, I was looking at the Pico DAC, convinced that I "needed" for the office when using the Stax 005 set. Now this? Hmmm, logic dictates that I get both. Right?

Yes.

And of course, if you haven't pulled the trigger by the next time I see you, I'll have a Pico DAC so I can just push you off the edge.

Helping Dave use up his hard-earned money since 2005. >:D

Edited by Salt Peanuts

It's a variable gain amplifier, so it already has plenty of gain switches ;)

Each step is .5dB. Max gain is 6x -- so you can max the output of this amplifier with a source output as low as 0.25Vrms.

Interesting. Without giving too many details away...... is the variable gain in addition to a voltage divider on the input, or volume control solely from variable gain?

Justin, any plans for a DAC version of the Slim? I know it probably wouldn't be Slim anymore but would still have the other advantages.

I can see where you're coming from, but with the recent introduction of the pico usb dac I'm thinking it'd be unlikely