Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HF2s are fairly different from other grados, except they have the great ps1 mids

How's the treble compared to other Grados? Slightly harsh highs and claustrophobic soundstage are my main caveats with modern Grados, but the "mini PS-1" thing is getting into my head and I'm highly tempted to put an order right now.

How's the treble compared to other Grados? Slightly harsh highs and claustrophobic soundstage are my main caveats with modern Grados, but the "mini PS-1" thing is getting into my head and I'm highly tempted to put an order right now.

I didn't think that was the case at all. With bowls.

Not the case at all. I'm overly sensitive to harsh trebles, and am not fond of claustrophobic soundstage, though consider that a forgivable flaw if outweighed by other favorable factors. I know I'm having new toy love syndrome, but I really like these, and as others have said, the mids are wonderful, and the bass quite nice.

I'm having some cognitive dissonance. Right now with flats, I find the HF-2's bass a little too thick -- and with bowls the presentation is too remote for me. At this point, I'd still pick the HF-1s for my Grado fix. We'll see if things change with use and familiarization.

Moar burn in!

Comfy pads? Got a link to a description or source, please? In between would be about where I'd want to be. :)

EDIT: Nevermind. Found 'em.

I have never liked the sound of Grados with the c-pads. The current ones on headphile look like this, but I have not heard these specific ones:

img112.jpg

img116.jpg

Moar burn in!

I have never liked the sound of Grados with the c-pads. The current ones on headphile look like this, but I have not heard these specific ones:

img112.jpg

img116.jpg

Aren't comfy pads the ones that the sr60 uses? I believe radioshack sells a similar kind too. Basically a very soft comfy foam pad that has no opening is what I believe to be the official "comfy" pad.

Aren't comfy pads the ones that the sr60 uses? I believe radioshack sells a similar kind too. Basically a very soft comfy foam pad that has no opening is what I believe to be the official "comfy" pad.

I guess I thought the c in c-pad was comfy. Like these options, or is the HD414 pad a whole different thing?

comfy%20pads_b.jpg

image.php?image=928023&is_user=0

I had a chance to spend some time with Nate's HF-2s tonight with a Millet Max and my PPA v2. I have to say I came away very impressed. They definitely share the overall sound signature of the HF-1, but there's another level of refinement, detail and extension all the way around. I love my modded HF-1s, but damn. These are great. Want!

I had a chance to spend some time with Nate's HF-2s tonight with a Millet Max and my PPA v2. I have to say I came away very impressed. They definitely share the overall sound signature of the HF-1, but there's another level of refinement, detail and extension all the way around. I love my modded HF-1s, but damn. These are great. Want!

Fuck. I'm fighting the desire to order them. My VTG comes in tomorrow, maybe that will hold me off?

I'm really enjoying mine, and like postjack said, the mids are so yummy. Fell asleep last night listening to them. If I could wear them on the plane right now, I would. I'm wearing my esw10s at the moment, but thinking of selling them.

I borrowed a pair of ESW10s, and, unlike the last two times I tried them, I actually like them a lot, to the point they have distracted me from using the Stax rig. If the HF-2s can produce more magic than the ESW10s do, then I'll be most pleased. Yummy mids certainly sounds promising, as the 10s seem to either need more burn-in or possibly a better cable to make good theirs.

Anyone been using the HF-2's with a Pico DAC/amp? If so how does the pairing fare?

jamming out to Art Pepper (mosiac collection) and they sound great. I do not have other grados to compare them to but out of my netbook>pico amp/dac they sound great. Ahh the mids :o