The analog thread.

Hopstretch

You can buy new bearings for the 1200. Replacement requires undoing about a zilion screws and moving a PCB to the side to access the bearing, but the overall operation is about a 4 on a scale of 0 to 12. 

On that note as long as the 1200 was well maintained (no drinks spilled on/in, tonearm not busted up, bearing oiled every 10Khours) they are quite reliable. I would go hi-fi on a DJ'ed 1200, provided it wasn't abused.

Is now the right time to express zero confidence in the VPI direct drive? This is knowing nothing about the actual unit, but being prejudiced by VPI's inability to make their (very simple) motor controller work reliably. I can only guess what it will cost, and I'd get a Grandprix Monaco. Or a Technics SP10. Or a crazytoast lenco. 

Ari I'd love to chew your ear off about the Technics the next time we meet. I've been more interested in those after my phailed Lenco project.

WRT to the VPI, I have to commend them for their exceptional customer service and not charging me for something even though the TT was one of the earliest made. I would rather buy a proudct from a company willing to fix their mistakes than one with poor support. Nottingham US and UK support is virtually non-existant... maybe this has to do with Tom Fletcher no longer being around, who knows. If the VPI DD is really high torque like the SP-10 I bet it would sound real sweet with a Phantom II.

The DIY aspects are interesting but the flip side is you're left to working on your own stuff if something goes wrong. I am ok with this for amps, but not mechanical stuff. Personally I prefer to come home to something that works all the time. I've done some rudimentary testing with my L75 in a birch/ply/birch plinth with PTP2 and the motor noise is not acceptable with the HD800. Inaudible with speakers, even 103 db/w ones. This is after taking apart the motor and re-oiling it. I haven't bothered with aftermarket bearings or idler wheel yet. At this point I'm sort of ready to abandon the project. And the other thing about the DIY thing is you gotta hoard dem parts for spares. Long term support is what I am looking for which kinda leaves out boutiques like Brinkmann and Grandprix. VPI is being taken over by Matt Weisfield, a guy a couple of years younger than me.

Happy 4th guys.

I got my Feedbands album today and I don't really notice surface noise like Mikey mentioned. But I do get some distortion on the singer's "s" sounds. I have a feeling this has to do with my cartridge (I think it's older than I am) and I'll be playing around some to try and track this down. I'd hate it to be the album since I do enjoy it.

Just as a followup to my first experience with feedbands.

As reported I had a high level of surface noise on the disk that I received. I sent a question out to customer service - trying to see if this was pretty standard for them. I got a quick reply back, talking about the recording quality, but offered a replacement disk. I was okay with the recording quality - from the digital download.

I got the replacement disk (no charge) in yesterday, and spun it last night. It was Much better - not silent, but surface noise was low enough not to really bother me at all.. So happy to report - good customer service - and not systemic issue with the disks. 

Looking forward to the next release. 

Cheers,

Mikey

Other than deadwax. (FEED 2a and 2b).. nope.. But I guess with different colors you would know. There is the tracklist on the back of the LP cover. 

Anyway - much more serious now...

qv3zGQG.jpg

Blade Runner - OST - Audio fidelity (red)...  (thx mr hoffman)

Sound is great - I kind of got use to the Esper edition (super long) -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_(soundtrack)#Esper_Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R0DSM1DLks

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone was waiting/considering... looks like the Rega RP40 40th Anniversary table is showing up for pre-order at the normal sites.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-141185-rega-rp40-limited-edition-turntable.aspx

I love it, except its kind of lame it comes with an Elys rather than an Exact. Will stick with my p3/24 + exact combo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My restoration of a Garrard 401 has hit a hurdle.

I pulled apart the motor to clean it and lubricate it.  When reassembling it, I snapped one of the two screws that hold the two parts of the motor casing together.

Any suggestions as to where I can source a new one?  It looks like  a custom built part.

9191991434_b07a1b2ef2_z.jpg

My restoration of a Garrard 401 has hit a hurdle.

I pulled apart the motor to clean it and lubricate it.  When reassembling it, I snapped one of the two screws that hold the two parts of the motor casing together.

Any suggestions as to where I can source a new one?  It looks like  a custom built part.

If you've gotten the original screw out, it could be that it's just not a common looking part. You'd be surprised how many crazy looking fasteners are out there.

Try this site.

Bear in mind that you might need a thread gauge to get the right replacement.

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/index2.cfm

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I got this photo from the net:

9418388_orig.jpg

The screw I broke is one of two you can see protruding from the half of the motor casing on the left.

I'm pretty sure it is a custom part.

Hopefully I'll score one form somewhere, or pick up a broke motor for parts.

Edited by The Expanding Man