The analog thread.

Hopstretch

• 2 weeks later...

So working to get my sacd player back in rotation. That means I need to stack two components on top of each other.

my rack has one open location, then two shelves behind a door. I have:

Pass XP15, Esoteric K-05x, MiniDSP SHD, Berning MicroZOTL (old style)

I was thinking of the digital spinner on the bottom, as it  needs the rear cutouts for inflexible cables. I like the amp visible on top. That then means stacking the miniDSP on the photo stage or under the amp and not sure which one is better. It’s a tight fit either way.

As an aside I will run the spinner single ended as I need the extra balanced voltage swing for my low output carts. I haven’t done this yet so that will be a bit of a change. I guess I need to find a cable long enough - been a while since I bought a RCA cable :)

Any suggestions or thoughts?

• Like 4

I would put the miniDSP on top of the phono stage as I never feel good about putting anything on or under an amp.

I also have a big box full of RCA cables that I will never use. If you tell me what length you need I can check to see if I have any that would work for you. You would make my wife happy because I would be getting rid of “useless crap”.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, robm321 said:

Wear a tag? 

Electronc tag ( aka "ankle bracelet"  )

tag-960x640.png

"Some prisoners can be released early. This allows them to live at home and to work during the final weeks of their sentence.  

They will be given an electronic tag, which is a small device fitted to the ankle or wrist. Tagging is a way of monitoring where you are and how you keep to your tagging conditions.  "

https://www.criminaljusticehub.org.uk/task/whats-electronic-tagging/

https://www.gov.uk/electronic-tags

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tens-of-thousands-more-criminals-to-be-tagged-to-cut-crime-and-protect-victims

Does this look like the sort of bloke who would need to wear one  ?

dodgygeezer.jpg

or would "fiddle" his way  out of it?

tp-graphic-how-fiddle-worked.png

LAG TAG BLAG*

Crooks ‘bribed security staff to escape from ankle tags in curfew scam’ as one con is arrested for ‘attempted murder’ after freeing himself from tracker

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2781876/crooks-bribed-security-staff-to-escape-from-ankle-tags-in-curfew-scam-as-one-con-is-arrested-for-attempted-murder-after-freeing-himself-from-tracker/#

LAG = convict  - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lag#:~:text=noun (3)-,1,%3A an ex-convict

BLAG = persuade, con  -  https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/blag#:~:text=blag something (British English,we were from the press.

• Thanks 2

Can't believe anything you read in the Sun. Tabloid rag, with "Shock! Horror! Probe!" journalism.

Some classic Sun headlines. Topping it "Freddy Starr ate my hamster" Starr was a stand up comedian.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/publishers/nationals/sun-readers-pick-freddie-starr-ate-my-hamster-as-tabloids-best-splash-as-charity-giveaway-marks-50-years/

• 2 weeks later...

So, a bit of a stretch for this thread and I am doubting anyone will see the humor in this. But as y’all know o have been working in a tachometer feedback loop for my platter. With the lid off it looks like this:

IMG_1910.jpeg

Previously I had an acrylic platter with a white dot that triggered the IR sensor each time it went around and used that to calculate the platter speed.

Now I have an aluminum platter. To make it all work I had to add a black dot and update the code as follows.

IMG_1911.jpeg

.. anyways I found this humorous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swt61 said:

I would probably find it humorous as well if I could decipher what it is you're saying. 

My little box works by counting the number of times it sees something pass as the platter spins. You need to check fast enough so you don’t miss the thing as it passes by. The faster you can check you can increase the accuracy of your measurement.

Originally I used a magnet and this worked well but seemed a bit less than ideal near a sensitive phono pickup. So I changed to using light.

In order to make the sensor work with other types of light present (such as the light that comes out of a light bulb) I used certain frequency of infrared light. This light is emitted by my box and then when that light is reflected back from the object it notes that the object has passed and it computes the speed.

With an acrylic platter with a record on top when the box asks if it has seen the reflected light, it says no until the white dot comes by, which reflects all frequencies of light and registers a “yes” with the system. But when an aluminum platter is used it always reflects the light. So I needed something that didn’t reflect the light I was using, which ends up being a black dot which absorbs light. 

One made the “physical” change in how the device operated I made a simple change in the code that basically looked for when the reflected light wasn’t present - which was the exact opposite to how it used to work with the white dot.

Edited by luvdunhill
  • Like 1

My software expertise terminated with BASIC, FORTRAN77 and ALGOL68. When software became object oriented my remaining brain cell went into overload. Java, Javascript, Python blah blah - just words to me. 

An old friend became an expert in APL, because it was used where he worked. Cryptic, powerful, with statements resembling transmission line noise

Life  {1  . 3 4 = +/ + ¯1 0 1 ∘. ¯1 0 1 ¨ }

On 4/19/2023 at 10:04 AM, luvdunhill said:

So, a bit of a stretch for this thread and I am doubting anyone will see the humor in this. But as y’all know o have been working in a tachometer feedback loop for my platter. With the lid off it looks like this:

IMG_1910.jpeg

Previously I had an acrylic platter with a white dot that triggered the IR sensor each time it went around and used that to calculate the platter speed.

Now I have an aluminum platter. To make it all work I had to add a black dot and update the code as follows.

IMG_1911.jpeg

.. anyways I found this humorous. 

Does that jump in speed every time the platter rotates?  Or does it quickly reach a steady state and stop altering the speed?

On 4/21/2023 at 11:53 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

Yes, but more importantly, is it audible?  The software doesn't appear to smooth the data.

The avgRPM assignment does a bit of smoothing.

There are not a lot of mechanical losses, the belt has reasonable friction on the pulley and platter, so it can alter the platter speed with reasonable accuracy without it acting like a flywheel.

I don’t know how much is audible but I can say that +/- 0.03 rpm isn’t audible and it makes adjustments less than this.

Gor reference, the added friction of lowering the needle into the groove slows rotation about this amount. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

The avgRPM assignment does a bit of smoothing.

There are not a lot of mechanical losses, the belt has reasonable friction on the pulley and platter, so it can alter the platter speed with reasonable accuracy without it acting like a flywheel.

I don’t know how much is audible but I can say that +/- 0.03 rpm isn’t audible and it makes adjustments less than this.

Gor reference, the added friction of lowering the needle into the groove slows rotation about this amount. 

Yes!  Context is very important, thank you for that.

I will never forget that scene in ... alright, I don't remember which show, if it was Space: 1999 or UFO, where they show a crater, then zoom out, then zoom out, then ... wait, what is that?