Car suggestions?

blessingx

Well, my trusty 1994 Corolla decided it couldn't face 2010 and died on 12/31. Thus begins a new tradition - the annual NYE walk. Transmission costs (waiting on estimate) will likely make stop repairs so I'm investigating newish car options.

While I was expecting to pick up something used, with the current state of the auto industry, cash backs, lines disappearing, etc. began to consider a 2009/2010 Pontiac G3 (the once Vibe). The warranty is a big pull too. Basically, want a smallish car for city parking, good gas mileage for work commutes (40 miles each way - 2-3 times a week, when car is most used) and as I park on the street in San Francisco, something I wouldn't worry about a scratch occasionally. Now it looks like the G3s nearby have all been gobbled up as the dealerships wind down. So back to square one.

Anyone have any suggestions or recent car buying experiences they want to share? Used or new? I'm probably looking under ~$10K new (which made the G3 a possibility after cash back) or under ~$6-7K used.

I have to admit, although my father worked in the industry his whole life and my family identified themselves are "Chrysler people," I didn't get that gene and instead am mostly bothered by the fact this puts some computer, photography and audio gear 2010 purchases in jeopardy. So the cheaper the better, but mostly need something dependable - my Corollas best trait - along with smallish and good at the pump, if possible.

Any advisement would be much appreciated.

Lightly used Toyota Yaris?

I don't trust that any US car manufacturer other than Ford will be around more than a decade so whatever they're offering on the G3 as a warranty is a hollow promise to me.

Keep in mind the G3/Vibe was a GM/Toyota project - the Toyota Matrix is the equivalent. So consider the G3 half-Japanese. ;)

EDIT: Grawk beat me to it.

^Did not know that. I assume the "half" is chassis, engine and transmission? If so, the G3 might not be that bad. Although I haven't compared a Toyota interior to a Pontiac but I can't imagine they would be on the same level of fit and finish. This is one area I think the "American" cars get consistently beat by "imports."

I wouldn't touch a Pontiac or any other car that's from one of GM's discontinued divisions. They currently have a government guaranteed warranty program for them but I wouldn't count on that program being around in the future with the kind of deficits the goverment is running up these days. Wouldn't touch any Chrysler for the same reason, their merger or whatever the fuck you want to call it with Fiat is going to have them so fucked up that it's not even funny.

No idea what to buy though in your market segment, I'm a mid-size family sedan person.

I don't trust that any US car manufacturer other than Ford will be around more than a decade so whatever they're offering on the G3 as a warranty is a hollow promise to me.
I basically agree with this, but come to a slightly different conclusion. Since I hate most car repair people anyway, and since I especially hate dealer repair people, I'd get a car that someone like Consumer Reports rates as needing the least amount of service (FF>> to answer == Honda, Toyota, Nissan), and then find the one technician in the area I felt I could trust (which I have -- he's down in Waldorf, unfortunately). And hope and prey that I don't need any dealer service.

So if you think you have a technician you think you can trust, go ahead and get a G3/Vibe, since yes, it is basically a rebadged Matrix.

Or you could just get a Matrix, but good luck finding a new one for under $10K. I'm thinking you'll have to stick to used for that, and not lightly -- at least middlin'. But I haven't been watching car prices -- neither new nor used -- since the crash...uh, the auto industry crash, not an actual car crash.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Unless you are getting a 10 year warranty I do not think warranty considerations are really significant, even for the "no longer" GM divisions. Also in that case the vibe may be a better bet as significant parts should not be a problem as long as Toyota is still around.

Thanks for the advice guys. Just to be clear, the G3/Vibe isn't an option as they've been sold out in may area (and yes, the differences in price with Matrix isn't slight) and surely won't transport as everyone is closing shop. Guess I missed by a week or two the G3 possibility. Would have been cool to get new under $10K, but that's looking extremely unlikely. But I definitely appreciate the suggestions. Guessing it's going to be used as it has in previous cars. ;)

Yeah, that's part of the reason I previously avoided new cars, but at least in this G3 case, a $5K cash back on a $14,500 car, put a new one at the same price as what I'm seeing used 2008 models from private owners on Craigslist. Anyway, that was a unique case. I need to let it go...

At least in my areas, most of the small cars mentioned (Fit, Versa, Yaris, etc.) have been keeping their values well - I don't remember seeing them under $9K when I recently had a scare and thought needed to get a new one.

This. The Fit,Versa, and Yaris only came here in '07 and other than the Yaris they haven't had a chance to drop below $10k. The Yaris can be had just under $9k but frankly I think there are better ways to spend the money. Step it up one size to stuff like an Elantra, Sentra, Corolla, etc, and you'll find much better deals; they're volume cars and depreciation hits them more. Or maybe a Focus but I don't know how reliability is.

Not my segment unfortunately so can't give exact advice.

Ric, may or may not be relevant to help you decide, but

2010 Silicon Valley International Auto Show - General Info

is on this weekend in San Jose. Buy your ticket online with the promo code RIDER and its only $4 to get in (a $5 saving!). Gives you the chance to clamber all over the relevant new models without having a salesperson breathing down your neck, and lust after the models outside your price range. And the cars ;):)

^Did not know that. I assume the "half" is chassis, engine and transmission? If so, the G3 might not be that bad.

The G3 engine is a 1.6L GM Ecotec. It's highly reliable and easy to service. My Atom has a 2.0L Ecotec, so I'm familiar with it.

Although I haven't compared a Toyota interior to a Pontiac but I can't imagine they would be on the same level of fit and finish. This is one area I think the "American" cars get consistently beat by "imports."

You might be surprised there as well. The interior of the G3 is nothing special, but it's not too bad either (quite functional with no major frills, but not ugly by any means, and comes standard with a decent 6 speaker audio system, and the tilt wheel is nice for big lugs like me).

EDIT: Missed Ric's post that he was no longer considering the G3.

Well I have to pipe in for Hyundai. I'm a very satisfied Hyundai owner, and have two close friends that are also Hyundai owners. The quality is on par with the likes of Honda and Toyota, if not better. They have very efficient vehicles. But the biggest plus has to be the unbelievable warranty. 10 yr./100Kml limited, but for an extra $1,700.00 (on my Santa Fe anyway) you can upgrade that warranty to full bumper to bumper. I'm literally covered for anything that goes wrong with my vehicle for 10 years (in my case I'll not hit the 100K miles for far longer than that).

That's the kind of piece of mind that makes a car purchase an easy decision in my book.

Well, after testing driving several new and couple year old versions of a Prius, Smart Car, Yaris, Accent, xB, Rio, etc. and looking at a bunch of others including the Fit, Aveo, Focus, etc. (I lost count), I think it's going to be a Hyundai Elantra. Sacrificed a bit on fuel efficiency and my size wish, but the ride was better than others (except possibly the Prius) and after driving around a rented newish Corolla to look, that aspect grew in importance. Didn't get new down to $10K, but wasn't that far off. Was sure tempted by the used Prius' though (primarily for other reasons than it's known for), and even the Smart Car Passion (though easily the strangest ride of the bunch). In the end, as mentioned above, that warranty was a big draw.

Thanks for your comments everyone. They really did come in handy.