The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Yesterday, my friend was debating with me why does we need high voltage supply. As the Stax spec says 101dB / 100V r.m.s. 1 kHz. Then Vpp will be about 281V to be very loud. Voltage swing will be 400V+-281/2=260-540. In his opinion, 300B and lots of other tubes were able to do this too. I think this sounds wired but I can't point out. So could anyone explain why we need output stage to reach 1000+volts? 

There is this thing called headroom.  Do you think it is a wise idea to design a car that can only reach 100km/hr?  I mean that is the maximum speed in most places so why go any faster than that.  Have it running on the redline the entire time....  There is also the issue that this is only at 1kHz, not 20kHz. 

Yup sounds like a plan and explain to your friend that he's a bit thick. 

And why high voltage supply? Why won't something like 300V rail work? Sth like 300+-250V things. Or you mean 400+- 300v is more better?Is this to avoid the non-linear area of tubes working under low voltage?

Oh and I thought 1Khz and 20Khz are more like issue with current, not voltage?

Thanks for replying!

Edited by joehpj

Voltage and current are inherently linked and I already covered why we use higher voltage.  Headroom

Other than the new portable amp which is finally something from this century there is little to be excited about from Stax. 

While on this topic, I checked out the HF Stax thread yesterday and holy shit the retardation is strong over there.  I mean seriously, the level of stupid ignorant crap is just astounding.  My favorite bit of utter stupidity was Tyll's amp turning the 009 into the 007Mk1 so it's use should be discontinued immediately.  It's not like the amp wasn't measured directly against a BHSE using a 009 when Tyll got it with nearly identical graphs (well within the margin or error)...   

I don't know how Kevin does it.  I've left HF for good and couldn't be happier.  There is soooooo much misinformation based on no shred of truth. 

As for the Big Sound, I'm sure Bob and Tyll would have reached the same conclusion with any capable amp.  Even the Carbon can't save the 009 being the most powerful and linear amp we can build. 

Edit:  Well Chang2.0 would have to access to some brain matter before anybody would take them seriously.  That sadly is lacking... 

Edited by spritzer

1 hour ago, spritzer said:

Edit:  Well Chang2.0 would have to access to some brain matter before anybody would take them seriously.  That sadly is lacking... 

The way Chang/Chang 2.0 has turned out makes me sad as there is room for another good site in this hobby.

IMO HF has become all but useless outside of the DIY, For Sale, and Meet forums as well as Jude's ability to break news as the public face of the hobby. I have zero desire to go over there to discuss equipment. All you need to do is take one look at the most active posters over there to realize what a farce the discussions have become. The barrier to entry over there is non-existent.

Chang/Chang 2.0 had an opportunity to be a nice forum for gear discussion but there is a groupthink going on over there that I just can't get behind. It is a shame too, as I've met some great people through mini-meets. 

The exchanges in that thread have been painful to weed through, I'm afraid.  Makes for more reason to pour another finger of rum...

I'm at a crossroads.  Love my ygg>KGST>007A's.  Been a great enjoyable pairing.  Only use it and my ygg>Woo WA7>TH900 depending on my mood and how much ambient noise there is.  I've concluded I need a back-up e-stat setup for a few reasons I won't bore with. 

I will likely secure a Carbon in time as the second amp.  The question then is the next set of Stax earspeakers.  I'm thinking L700's vs the 009's.  I don't do bright very well...getting old I guess, but regardless fatigue while listening is the last thing I want to pay money for.

Is the L700 worth purchasing as a second set of Staxen?  I tend to prefer a warmer signature and hence hung on to my HD650's as my dynamic backup cans.  Your two bits appreciated before I piss more money away...

Cheers,

HS

3 hours ago, Audiojunkie said:

Plankton 2.0 is entirely "groupthink"....Purrin says it and all the mindless morons follow suit. Anyone disagree's to his B.S. and they're banned almost immediately. I wonder if they require a full frontal lobotomy prior to joining?

But but but Tyll likes them :sadcat:

• Like 2

Gotta be a part of the groupthink, perish the thought of having ones own ideas.  Seriously though, Purrin is no better than Jude with his clan mentality and favoritism. 

As for the Stax, haven't tried the L700 yet (waiting for Stax to release the inevitable fixed version) but many of the older Lambdas are excellent.  I've recently bought the SR-SC1, 404LE, 404 (why not) and Lambda Nova Signature.  All of these are good to excellent and if you can find a set in good nic then it will last for a long time. 

• Like 2

Indeed, lots of sweet things among former Lambdas, almost one model for each taste, and at mid-fi prices. Love the face of the random newbie listening to some Lambda NB when telling him it's from 1979 and can be found as a set (SRD + headphones) for the price of average Beats bling-y POS.

Ali

The first great headphones I ever owned were a pair of Stax Lambda NB.  I got them accidentally, almost, by winning an eBay auction for a normal bias energizer for like $6, then realizing it could only drive normal bias 'stats.  That drove me here, as I recall, to ask about a good amp for them.

HC's recommendation?  KGBH. 

Fuck you guys, I love you all.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2016 at 7:10 AM, spritzer said:

Voltage and current are inherently linked and I already covered why we use higher voltage.  Headroom

Other than the new portable amp which is finally something from this century there is little to be excited about from Stax. 

While on this topic, I checked out the HF Stax thread yesterday and holy shit the retardation is strong over there.  I mean seriously, the level of stupid ignorant crap is just astounding.  My favorite bit of utter stupidity was Tyll's amp turning the 009 into the 007Mk1 so it's use should be discontinued immediately.  It's not like the amp wasn't measured directly against a BHSE using a 009 when Tyll got it with nearly identical graphs (well within the margin or error)...   

On 1/13/2016 at 10:44 AM, spritzer said:

I don't know how Kevin does it.  I've left HF for good and couldn't be happier.  There is soooooo much misinformation based on no shred of truth. 

As for the Big Sound, I'm sure Bob and Tyll would have reached the same conclusion with any capable amp.  Even the Carbon can't save the 009 being the most powerful and linear amp we can build. 

I think the whole SR009 vs. SR007 thing is just boil down to personal preference Birgir.  I have several people who have stopped by and listening to both phones out of several of my amps, and 65% actually prefer the SR009 while the remainder just like the SR007 better.  At a recent Atlanta meet, I have one person liking the SR007 better out of the Carbon while the another 5-6 clearly prefer the SR009.  This same gentlemen also prefer his LCD3 over the HD-800.  My close friend who is also a musician seem to dig the SR009 better.  

Edited by purk
  • Like 2

Sure, there are also people who think the WES or the LL are good amps.  Doesn't mean that they aren't bad though.  The bottom line here is and always will be, what is neutral.  That's what Stax have always been about aside from the whole Sigma stuff (though neutral in their own way) but the SR-009 simply isn't.  It has a definite sound of its own. 

This is the same with the HE90 vs. HE60.  One is highly colored and limited by design while the other is just limited by design. 

27 minutes ago, spritzer said:

Sure, there are also people who think the WES or the LL are good amps.  Doesn't mean that they aren't bad though. 

I write off people who like the WES or LL better than the BH or HV off on principal. No other information needed.

• Like 1

I have to say that Bob Katz's discussion with Tyll about the 007s vs 009s was pretty convincing in terms of neutrality.  Bob used his own recorded material, which he mastered and knows intimately. Most people don't have the benefit of that.  Certainly supports/confirms spritzer's observations.

My experience is... the 007 with lesser amps has a honky and recessed (veiled) colouration, whilst it vastly improves and opens up as the amp scales, I can still hear this colouration it even with a BHSE. The 009 maintains a better consistency of sound signature using different amps, as well as scaling with better amps and I cannot for the life of me hear any colouration, in fact I’d say I can hear a lot more of what’s going on upstream than the phone itself.

• Like 1

I hear a bit of the honk as well, with the 007a and 717. It's mostly a great combo, dynamic enough and not dark, but the mids aren't perfect. I gotta be honest, I've become a huge fan of the HD650 and the way it does mids and highs in particular. But when you're used to the effortless resolution of high-end 'stats the 650 just isn't technically competent enough. Which does leave me wondering if there's something that gives the best of both. The 007 Mk1 is probably the closest in terms of tonality and detail but it has its own problems, mainly with not being dynamic and impactful enough. All the talk of brightness in the 009 has turned me off of the idea (and the price-tag even more so), but I wonder if I'll ever hear a system that has everything I want. In either case, I'm reasonably happy with what I have and there's plenty of room for better amps and sources.