Jump to content

The Headcase Stax thread


thrice
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, kevin gilmore said:

the connectors are nice, he should sell those.

I agree, those are very nice indeed. 

11 minutes ago, dripf said:

This 007 appears to be brand new despite the scruffy case wrapping. It sounds and feels really nice. All is great.

Could be old stock but I doubt it.  Most likely Stax just enjoy messing with us...  ;) 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Katyusha said:

Again,  007 is NOT the king of electrostatic!  009 is the TRUE flagship of Stax! 🤪

Just because a manufacturer labels something a flagship does not make it better than a previous flagship. But you wouldn’t know that since you are simply a troll.

1BEE1D48-CE6F-452E-BFA3-DFEAC4A5E468.jpeg.c22d298be16b4ab62a35156602674d39.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Katyusha said:

Again,  007 is NOT the king of electrostatic!  009 is the TRUE flagship of Stax! 🤪

There's a thread over at HF for you to share this knowledge.

@Lord_Rexter

As much as I love the SR-009BK, most of the time I reach for the SR-007 Mk1 more. They're more genre friendly.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Mach3 said:

There's a thread over at HF for you to share this knowledge.

@Lord_Rexter

As much as I love the SR-009BK, most of the time I reach for the SR-007 Mk1 more. They're more genre friendly.

In a perfect world I'd want both, but seeing as I have a Koss 95X I don't really need something tuned like 007, I'm likely going to pick up a 009 my self to compliment my 95X.

Now when the time comes, yes I'm 100% going to add a 007 MK 1 to my collection as I think both 009 and 007 can/are complimentary 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2020 at 4:58 PM, morphsci said:

Just because a manufacturer labels something a flagship does not make it better than a previous flagship. But you wouldn’t know that since you are simply a troll.

 

Agreed, And if "flagship" product refers to the most expensive model in the line, my experience is that it does not guarantee that the more expensive model necessarily outperforms the less expensive ones.

I have both the 007 and 009 on hand, I like them both. Each has its merits and faults. In addition to the music genre, I pick which one to listen with based on my mood-swing and sometimes the alignment of the moon and sun.     

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2020 at 3:36 PM, OakForestAudio said:

In a perfect world I'd want both, but seeing as I have a Koss 95X I don't really need something tuned like 007, I'm likely going to pick up a 009 my self to compliment my 95X.

Now when the time comes, yes I'm 100% going to add a 007 MK 1 to my collection as I think both 009 and 007 can/are complimentary 

I've got Koss 950, so unless the Koss 95X sounds totally different from the 950. Which I doubt, I don't see how 007 Koss 95X tuned alike.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2020 at 3:32 AM, Mach3 said:

I've got Koss 950, so unless the Koss 95X sounds totally different from the 950. Which I doubt, I don't see how 007 Koss 95X tuned alike.

I agree. I do think the Koss 95X/950 can sound good, especially if you liberate them from the pedestrian energizer they come with and use whichever better amp you use to play your STAX, but they aren't really similar to the 007.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, billqs said:

I agree. I do think the Koss 95X/950 can sound good, especially if you liberate them from the pedestrian energizer they come with and use whichever better amp you use to play your STAX, but they aren't really similar to the 007.

 

On 7/13/2020 at 4:32 AM, Mach3 said:

I've got Koss 950, so unless the Koss 95X sounds totally different from the 950. Which I doubt, I don't see how 007 Koss 95X tuned alike.

Good feed back thank you! An yea I've got a nice CCS Modded SRM007tA that should be liberation enough

Imo 007 when I've heard it had been very "thick" real mid focused presentation and not quite energetic enough up top for my tastes, 95X is imo slightly thick, relative to an HD 800, and not quite energetic enough up top at all times 

Still to be frank the idea is to get a hold of 009 and work my way thru reviewing literally everything else I can get, so I can have my own opinion of them all. But I've heard 009 dozens of time and it's always been MORE than energetic to my ears and never came off as quite like 95X does and 007 when I've heard it in the past

Now let me ask this, how do you guys who own them presently feel 007 MK 2.9 differs from 95X and 009?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Ahh my ebay feed is such a rich source of crap.  Now this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184390225946?_trksid=p11021.c100851.m5053&_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170803121420%26meid%3D7c8a959dd9b44639b572f30ba9d29c74%26pid%3D100851%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dnone%26b%3D1%26sd%3D143674134487%26itm%3D184390225946%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D11021%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic&ul_noapp=true

Pics here for when the listing goes down.  Standard KGSSHV but with a few twists:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.936af03e1f4a9ff100dc3add7f82354c.jpgs-l1601.thumb.jpg.02c7e6e9b6f1e2acac0d8fb8336aa780.jpg

Notice that their are no terminal blocks which is bad but one bonus, this amp will kill your headphones.  Can anybody spot it?  It's not the twisted output leads which are a terrible idea... 

 

 

The bias is tied to the "bias tp" which is just for measuring the bias... before the ballast resistor!!  So yeah, no ballast so say goodby to your diaphragms. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...