November 28, 201312 yr comment_611640 Awesome stuff Douglas! You guys should be proud. I caught some of your posts over on Gearslutz. So you went direct to a 744? Thanks! Yes, direct to Sound Devices 702. Really great pres in that little device. Sennheiser 580, ding! Where do I send the prize? Report
November 30, 201312 yr comment_611756 Dude, this is awesome. He just joined here, too. heh, just noticed he's the post before me Definitely welcome, your album is awesome. Not just the fidelity (which is also awesome) but also the soul. I'm a big fan of real stereo recordings. I miss my old schoeps rig. I'm going to get some of those line audio mics (tho I'm trying to get one of the switchable mics). Report
December 2, 201312 yr comment_612007 First Listen: Dâm-Funk & Snoopzilla, '7 Days Of Funk' http://n.pr/IyUlw4 Report
December 2, 201312 yr comment_612026 He just joined here, too. heh, just noticed he's the post before me Definitely welcome, your album is awesome. Not just the fidelity (which is also awesome) but also the soul. I'm a big fan of real stereo recordings. I miss my old schoeps rig. I'm going to get some of those line audio mics (tho I'm trying to get one of the switchable mics). Thanks very much! Yes, I've been making stereo pair recordings for several years now, and when it works, it *really* works. The CM3s are a real bargain. I don't feel like I miss anything compared to the Schoeps. But, as you know, the Schoeps have interchangeable capsules, which allows for a bit more flexibility. As for what I'm listening to... http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/bach-sonatas-and-partitas-vol-i Outrageously good music and playing! Report
December 3, 201312 yr comment_612194 While completing lots and lots of paperwork here in the office-- http://youtu.be/Tn_vyrHNxMQ Greg Osby looks a lot like Jamie Fox, yes? Report
December 4, 201312 yr comment_612363 Douglas, that is a really beautiful recording, very impressive. Reminds me a lot of the ECM recordings I have and some of the M A Recordings as well. Very nice presence and arrangement, thanks for sharing. Report
December 4, 201312 yr comment_612375 Oh, stereo direct, like Mapleshade records are famous for? I was never able to successfully record that way, though I tried. I always made it sound muffled and distant, found myself straining to listen. I suspect the choice of mic has a lot to do with it. Report
December 5, 201312 yr comment_612413 Listening to various things by FZ tonight. He passed twenty years ago today. So many facets to this man, and I realized tonight I am 4 years older than he was when he died. Fuck. Report
December 5, 201312 yr comment_612414 Intelligence Squared Debate: For A Better Future, Live In A Blue Or Red State? Report
December 5, 201312 yr comment_612436 Douglas, that is a really beautiful recording, very impressive. Reminds me a lot of the ECM recordings I have and some of the M A Recordings as well. Very nice presence and arrangement, thanks for sharing. Thanks for those comments. It's so nice to hear people are enjoying the music. I'd never come across MA Recordings before - thanks for that! Listening now to some mp3 clips... I'm usually pretty suspicious of so-called audiophile record labels, but what I'm hearing sounds very nice. Report
December 5, 201312 yr comment_612438 Oh, stereo direct, like Mapleshade records are famous for? I was never able to successfully record that way, though I tried. I always made it sound muffled and distant, found myself straining to listen. I suspect the choice of mic has a lot to do with it. I'd never heard of Mapleshade, but I see on their about page they "...use no add-on EQ, reverb or noise reduction electronics. Our recordings are made with only 2 to 4 microphones and no cables longer than 20 feet." That's true for this particular recording too. But yeah, you need great circumstances for that to work - instrument, room, mics, it all needs to work together. Report
December 5, 201312 yr comment_612456 The Plastics -- Pyramid Seen these guys live a few times in Cape Town. Like the sensibility. Report
December 6, 201312 yr comment_612620 Solarno, We Three Robot Kings, A Holiday EP Also, Infected Mushroom covering "Breaking a Habbit" (sic) Both are free downloads today. The SoundCloud link never works for me, so I usually truncate the song, and then click on the song. One more: Anneke's brand new SoundCloud page. Also a free download. Report
December 6, 201312 yr comment_612677 My top holiday CD, next to Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas. Retro fun. As with other things in life, the first is the best. Report
December 7, 201312 yr comment_612760 on about my sixth or seventh run through this album in 24 hours. van der graaf generator - still life Report
December 7, 201312 yr comment_612806 Here's a cool video for Coltrane fans (another gem from Jazz on the Tube). Report
December 7, 201312 yr comment_612814 Oustanding. And pretty funny: "Piano solo. 14" Lol. Watching all the accidentals go by is such a telltale sign (to me, anyway) of how free and amazing jazz is. He's playing so much that's outside the key signature, and it's a beautiful thing to see "live". I remember back in music theory classes that, many times with my own quarterly composition projects, I usually just played first then sat down and tried to score it later. It just felt better, musically. Report
December 8, 201312 yr comment_612871 This fucking rocks. I do need to listen to more jazz, though, that animation was amazing. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.