What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Awesome stuff Douglas!

You guys should be proud.

I caught some of your posts over on Gearslutz.

So you went direct to a 744?

Thanks!

Yes, direct to Sound Devices 702. Really great pres in that little device.

Sennheiser 580, ding! Where do I send the prize? ;)

Dude, this is awesome.

He just joined here, too.

heh, just noticed he's the post before me

Definitely welcome, your album is awesome.  Not just the fidelity (which is also awesome) but also the soul.

I'm a big fan of real stereo recordings.  I miss my old schoeps rig.  I'm going to get some of those line audio mics (tho I'm trying to get one of the switchable mics).

• Like 1

He just joined here, too.

heh, just noticed he's the post before me

Definitely welcome, your album is awesome.  Not just the fidelity (which is also awesome) but also the soul.

I'm a big fan of real stereo recordings.  I miss my old schoeps rig.  I'm going to get some of those line audio mics (tho I'm trying to get one of the switchable mics).

Thanks very much!

Yes, I've been making stereo pair recordings for several years now, and when it works, it *really* works. The CM3s are a real bargain. I don't feel like I miss anything compared to the Schoeps. But, as you know, the Schoeps have interchangeable capsules, which allows for a bit more flexibility.

As for what I'm listening to...

http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/bach-sonatas-and-partitas-vol-i

Outrageously good music and playing!

Douglas, that is a really beautiful recording, very impressive.  Reminds me a lot of the ECM recordings I have and some of the M A Recordings as well.  Very nice presence and arrangement, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for those comments. It's so nice to hear people are enjoying the music.

I'd never come across MA Recordings before - thanks for that! Listening now to some mp3 clips... I'm usually pretty suspicious of so-called audiophile record labels, but what I'm hearing sounds very nice.

Oh, stereo direct, like Mapleshade records are famous for?  I was never able to successfully record that way, though I tried.  I always made it sound muffled and distant, found myself straining to listen.  I suspect the choice of mic has a lot to do with it.

I'd never heard of Mapleshade, but I see on their about page they "...use no add-on EQ, reverb or noise reduction electronics. Our recordings are made with only 2 to 4 microphones and no cables longer than 20 feet."

That's true for this particular recording too. But yeah, you need great circumstances for that to work - instrument, room, mics, it all needs to work together.

Oustanding.  And pretty funny: "Piano solo.  14"   Lol.  

Watching all the accidentals go by is such a telltale sign (to me, anyway) of how free and amazing jazz is.  He's playing so much that's outside the key signature, and it's a beautiful thing to see "live".  I remember back in music theory classes that, many times with my own quarterly composition projects, I usually just played first then sat down and tried to score it later.  It just felt better, musically.