What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

I've been getting my mid 80s \m/ on.

aOA6oDg.jpg

W.A.S.P. - W.A.S.P. (1984)

GureceN.jpg

W.A.S.P. - The Last Command (1985)

3PskE1d.jpg

W.A.S.P. - Inside The Electric Circus (1986)

The first two are absolute classics of the genre (LA glam metal with just a dash of shock rock from the first half of the 80s.)  Blackie Lawless has always been a bit of a clown, but on the first two WASP albums he managed to avoid self parody and had some remarkably consistent songwriting.  Chris Holmes and Randy Piper had some great riffs as well.  Inside The Electric Circus is a much more uneven affair.  There are a more than few duds, but man is "Restless Gypsy" an unknown classic.  Listening to it makes me want to comb out my mullet, don my uncomfortably tight high waisted jeans, fire up my Camaro Z28 and tear ass down the 101.

I might cue up Live... In The Raw (1987) next.  Sadly there's not much after that in the WASP catalog that's worth giving a listen.  80s metal was best before marketing departments got involved and WASP was never that versatile a band to begin with.  

• Like 5

I've seen more [virtual] concerts during the pandemic than the last five years combined and the best by far was Idiot Prayer - Nick Cave Alone at Alexandra Palace (said by a non-Cave fan). Streaming now with vinyl coming in a couple days.  

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 4

Orbital (1991)

Listening to this now, I find it strange that I found it boring before. I guess I was looking for something lush and complex, which is not the point of this album. In Sides was my first Orbital album on CD and it took a while for me to go all the way back in their catalog.

spacer.png