And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Nice Weber Kettle. There is a company called Spider Grills that sells an attachment for the Kettle 22'' that turns it into a pellet smoker. They are backordered at the moment. If I didn't have a Solo Grill, I would probably grab the Weber and add the pellet smoker attachment. Enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 5:32 PM, velomane said:

I've never had a Weber Kettle but am becoming sorely tempted. How well it accommodate  a two-zone fire?

Sorry I missed this. The master touch comes with these Weber Charcoal baskets

IMG_1048.jpeg

which makes it easy to set up dual zone cooking. They also make a cone shaped heat deflector for more options.

I also forgot to mention that Peter is in his last week of his wilderness EMT course and he is having a blast 

IMG_1047.jpeg

He is in the orange sweatshirt.

Edited by morphsci
  • Like 12

Saw The President Fly into Marin via HMX-1  to fund raise, as part of his busy schedule.  

The dry run on Friday had set NextDoor a-Twitter,  and today was no different.

Screenshot_20230620-100926.png

There was some minor excitement beforehand as some aviators hadn't done their homework, and needed to be reminded up close and personal.

NORAD were on it

The V22's were impressive 

PXL_20230620_221758424.jpg

PXL_20230620_221807409.jpg

PXL_20230620_221829535.jpg

And then the fundraiser in chief arrived.

PXL_20230620_222651962.jpg

PXL_20230620_222703206.jpgPXL_20230620_222730667.jpgPXL_20230620_223500401.jpg

Departed to shmooze his donors.

And things went back to almost normal.

PXL_20230620_224924834.jpgPXL_20230620_224931259.jpgPXL_20230620_224411113.jpg

Edited by Grahame
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I repaired a Canon ef 17-55mm f/2.8. I bought it broken for €150, the diaphragm didn't work and here the ST does not repair them, so you have to send it to the mainland. This lens cost arround 800€ new here. 

For 3 bucks I bought the flex wire conection that moves the diaphragm and after 5 hours of work (I had never opened an objective) and a hour cleaning glasses.... I was able to leave it as good as new. 

After a good while taking this thing apart:

spacer.png

The damn broken flex wire:

f8dl9MO.jpg

Its alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El jovencito Frankenstein', la cura perfecta contra la aflicción

IUkqSbM.jpg

Edited by jose
  • Like 15

I have exactly one neighbor.  His name is Gary.  He's a genuine boomer, turning 70 this year.  He is some kind of special needs.  In his day, on Marthas Vineyard, there wasn't much in the way of diagnosis so he just kind of got by.  He lived with his mother until she passed on my birthday this year at the age of 93(!)  Now Gary lives alone, and I live here on MV.  Gary does okay, but my (sainted, octogenarian) mother does have some worries about him.  He mentioned to her that his electric bill was over $200 this month.  She said to me "you have an awful lot of spare LED bulbs, you should see if Gary would let us replace some of his incandescents."

She wasn't wrong.  For reasons not entirely worth explaining, I have 3-4 boxes of LED bulbs I brought with me to the Vineyard.  My father was a hoarder of antique furniture.  He built barns to hold it all:

z2kiD2o.jpg

poJUIRa.jpg

In spite of the thousands of records and CDs I own, not to mention the nightclub's worth of lighting gear (and all the stereo equipment) I own, I have always rejected the notion that I am a hoarder.  Except for lightbulbs.  I have to cop to it.  I compulsively bought CFL bulbs when those were a thing, and then moved on to LED bulbs when they arrived.  I have done some pretty neat things with them.  I restored a bunch of antique lamps:

7yysTvC.jpg

ucfn0HY.jpg

(For colored bulbs, CFLs are better than LED.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.)

VQqBgzA.jpg

op89Ge9.jpg

Even with the lamps above and many more, I have a vast excess of LED bulbs.  Today, with Gary's permission I went through his house and wrote down all of the bulbs I thought he could use.  Then I went up to my attic where it was 115 goddamn degrees and dragged down a few boxes.  I then spent an hour replacing the bulbs in most of Gary's house.  I did most of the living area, and discussed with him a few spots I could not get to (the garage and basement.)  He seemed pleased.  Also I have (slightly) fewer bulbs kicking around now.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

On 7/7/2023 at 10:55 PM, Knuckledragger said:

I have exactly one neighbor.  His name is Gary.  He's a genuine boomer, turning 70 this year.  He is some kind of special needs.  In his day, on Marthas Vineyard, there wasn't much in the way of diagnosis so he just kind of got by.  He lived with his mother until she passed on my birthday this year at the age of 93(!)  Now Gary lives alone, and I live here on MV.  Gary does okay, but my (sainted, octogenarian) mother does have some worries about him.  He mentioned to her that his electric bill was over $200 this month.  She said to me "you have an awful lot of spare LED bulbs, you should see if Gary would let us replace some of his incandescents."

She wasn't wrong.  For reasons not entirely worth explaining, I have 3-4 boxes of LED bulbs I brought with me to the Vineyard.  My father was a hoarder of antique furniture.  He built barns to hold it all:

z2kiD2o.jpg

poJUIRa.jpg

In spite of the thousands of records and CDs I own, not to mention the nightclub's worth of lighting gear (and all the stereo equipment) I own, I have always rejected the notion that I am a hoarder.  Except for lightbulbs.  I have to cop to it.  I compulsively bought CFL bulbs when those were a thing, and then moved on to LED bulbs when they arrived.  I have done some pretty neat things with them.  I restored a bunch of antique lamps:

7yysTvC.jpg

ucfn0HY.jpg

(For colored bulbs, CFLs are better than LED.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.)

VQqBgzA.jpg

op89Ge9.jpg

Even with the lamps above and many more, I have a vast excess of LED bulbs.  Today, with Gary's permission I went through his house and wrote down all of the bulbs I thought he could use.  Then I went up to my attic where it was 115 goddamn degrees and dragged down a few boxes.  I then spent an hour replacing the bulbs in most of Gary's house.  I did most of the living area, and discussed with him a few spots I could not get to (the garage and basement.)  He seemed pleased.  Also I have (slightly) fewer bulbs kicking around now.

I know you like to pretend otherwise, Knucks, but you are a saint.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

That's a pretty girthy, gravity-defying, fuck-me-sideways snake, Grəm.

(I happen to currently be wearing my "snakes on an inclined plane" shirt, no lie.)

IMG_1051.jpeg

Me: Looking at plans for an ark.

Edited by morphsci
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2