Clarification on Blue Hawaii Power Supply

Actually in this case if the unregulated primaries are where they should be (about 440 vdc under load)

then running the outputs at +/-350 actually causes the pass fet to dissipate more power than if it

was running at +/-400. Reason is that most of the power goes into the output tubes which are driven

from a constant current source that will change very little between 350 and 400 volts.

Suggest you measure the unregulated B+ under load to see if you can swap out the zeners for the

higher voltage. Running the power supply unregulated is not really a good thing.

BH and BHSE amplifiers were designed to run on +/-400 volts.

T2 runs on +/-500 volts.

kgsshv can run on 450 volts, or 500 volts.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I agree. The extra heat will go into the tubes, sure, but that will raise the ambient temperature considerably. Look how the tubes are recessed. Agreed that the pass device takes a bit of abuse as is, but these things seem to run on the brink of instability as getting rid of all that heat is hard. Granted, there is a lot of ventilation, but my experience what happens is that the tubes heat up the MOSFETs and the ambient temperature of the heat sink and things seem to just cook from there.

I was commenting on the heat from the power supply. Clearly the current sources

and the tubes get hotter at higher voltages. The power supply heatsinks are slightly

undersized and might be able to be replaced with the 2.5 inch versions. The current

sources have plenty of heatsink. Most of the tube inside the chassis definitely

raises the inside temperature a bunch.

I'm primarily referring to Augsburger's response above and Grawks plastic chassis response. There have definitely been some helpful posts in the thread, it just went downhill when the seller was brought up.

Augsburger's response was in fact a question and only that. If you felt hostility from a question that quite well was rhetorical in nature then perhaps you need to rethink what you are doing..... or maybe not. Hmmmm.

Ok- this is annoying me. Kevin and I exchanged a few PMs and he had mentioned the 'trevornetwork' thing, and that I should do some searching on HF. I decided to do so, and I think the only thing he and I have in common is our name. We don't even live in the same country!

?! Ok. I am a 35 year old guy who has lived in GA for quite some time and grew up near Buffalo. I mean, sure Buffalo is near Canada and all, but this is pretty insane.

Trevor W.....

Work Experience

ArcSight / Sales Engineer

2007 - Present

Originally Based out of Ottawa, Ontario. Currently in Atlanta, GA.

Fortinet, Inc. / Pre / Post Sales Training

2004 - 2007

Based out of Vancouver, BC and Ottawa, Ontario

Stop playing stupid.

Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive! - Sir Walter Scott. And that's not crap!