What made you smile today?

Tyll Hertsens

Smiled a lot and even screamed a little, watching the Kansas Jayhawks make it into the Final 4 today!

Of course, that means someone else will be disappointed that North Carolina didn't make, and on it goes until there is only one team left standing, which is highly likely to be Kentucky this year unless someone pulls off a major upset.

Kentucky can easily screw it up by getting overconfident/cocky, and not taking every last opponent seriously. A sudden injury can change everything as well. None of the final four are pushovers, and if Kentucky thinks otherwise, they've got another thing coming. That said, they were crushing Baylor quite convincingly today ;)

Nice story/thread, Tyll.

Today I went to go shoot pictures at an autocross (a timed racing event held in a parking lot with a course marked by cones.) Xavier wanted to go with me, and for only the second time in a while wanted to take his dSLR out for a spin, so we spent about 5 hours shooting and hanging out. That made me smile. A buddy came up and asked him if I was his assistant today. I thought about it, and I was carrying the heavy camera, the camera bag, and changing lenses for him. Heh, my buddy was right.

He probably DID take better pictures than me.

Xavier's set (he's 6, btw).

My set (I'm 5x older, currently).

Last week, he and I went to Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey circus. Editing those pics later this week. Had a blast there too!

**BRENT**

My dad is always telling me stories about my 2 year old nephew that are awesome.

This was at least half a year ago:

They were at the hardware store and my nephew was playing with a fire truck in the checkout line. The cashier struck up a conversation with him, something to the effect of 'is he going to put out a fire?'.

My nephew paused and told the cashier "its a toy".

It's the little things (well, sometimes anyway)...

Today's random smile - I've been trying to sell an old Adcom 2ch preamp/tuner that I have for the last year. I listed in on Craigslist for next to nothing, offered it on various audio websites for stupid cheap and got absolutely nothing. So this weekend I decided that I'd be fine if someone just paid shipping to get the thing out of my house and threw it up on Ebay. I've got shipping comfortably covered in the auction and started it at $.99 with no reserve. Some fool has already bid it up over $30. WOOT!

On a more serious note most of my days start with the same thing which is waking Lily up to get her ready for the day. That generally consists of crawling into bed with her and snuggling for a while. Some mornings she's cranky but most of the time she's in good spirits if not downright funny. My favorite quote from her recently as we made our way down to the dining room to get her some breakfast, "Dad, if I had 5 bellies I could eat 5 breakfasts."

Kentucky can easily screw it up by getting overconfident/cocky, and not taking every last opponent seriously. A sudden injury can change everything as well. None of the final four are pushovers, and if Kentucky thinks otherwise, they've got another thing coming. That said, they were crushing Baylor quite convincingly today wink.png

I agree with what you're saying, but I think Kentucky is the only team in the country that can really beat Kentucky. It's up to the other teams they play to hang in there for long enough to give them a chance to self destruct in the last 3 minutes of the game. Of course, I thought Baylor was capable of beating Kentucky because they matched up with them better than any other team does in terms of physicality. How wrong was that assessment? They certainly don't play like freshmen!

They certainly don't play like freshmen!

I agree. I was amazed at how poised and well coached they are. I always thought that Calipari's success was due to his being a great recruiter. But I see that he is can really coach too.

Come to think of it: why is there no HC bracket?

Because you didn't start one.

Great thread and opening post, Tyll.

Today, I had three great beamer moments:

1) Found a four-table, hole-in-the-wall soul food diner and kissed my diet goodbye with Dave's Famous Cracked Conch. Fried yum.

2) Stopped by my bicycle store to get a look at my new bike. I felt like a little kid sneaking a peek at Christmas presents on Christmas eve. It looks even better than I thought it would, and I can't wait to get it tomorrow morning. Smiles all afternoon.

And the best:

3) One of my patients, a Seminole kid, a combo of baby-boy sweet and hardcore gang banger with No Love tattooed on his eyelids and a money symbol on his cheek, came bursting in my office at 5PM. I'd helped get him a job a few weeks ago (I usually don't help anyone, but with his felonies and tattoos, I made some calls), and he had his first paycheck ever in his hands. $177.67. He was beaming, and couldn't stop smiling and staring it. I've known him for six months and I've never seen him smile unless he was trying to charm you into co-signing something very very wrong. It was a beautiful end to a very long week.

• Like 1

That is incredible Vicki! Those are the "this is all worth it" moments!

I met up with 4 other ex-co-workers, been a while since we got together. Mexican appetizers, 3 margharitas, and TONS of smiles and laughs.

When I left the company, 2 weeks shy of 7 years there, I almost wrote on my FB page: "lots of sad goodbyes today, but it was a 280-lb bald man that brought the tears to my eyes." Thought it sounded a little too prison scene though....

If anyone watched old wresting, there was a guy from i think the Southern states named King Kong Bundy; never saw him wrestle, just saw pictures. THAT was basically my friend Brian, the best Data Architect I've ever known.

By chance did that guy ever work for Citicorp in NY? When working in lower Manhattan I heard of a data center guy we had who looked like that, but was the nicest guy in the group. Even scored an extra part in a Richar Pryor movie I think.

3) One of my patients, a Seminole kid, a combo of baby-boy sweet and hardcore gang banger with No Love tattooed on his eyelids and a money symbol on his cheek, came bursting in my office at 5PM. I'd helped get him a job a few weeks ago (I usually don't help anyone, but with his felonies and tattoos, I made some calls), and he had his first paycheck ever in his hands. $177.67. He was beaming, and couldn't stop smiling and staring it. I've known him for six months and I've never seen him smile unless he was trying to charm you into co-signing something very very wrong. It was a beautiful end to a very long week.

And this made me smile. Nice work Vicki!!!

Two things today:

1. Moving the electric fence to give the cattle fresh pasture, and seeing how excited they are to find new stuff to munch on; and

2. While I'm doing the above, my kids are finding anthills. They really love anthills, and because today is the first day the ants have come out this year, it's a really good day to be a two or four year-old boy.

By chance did that guy ever work for Citicorp in NY? When working in lower Manhattan I heard of a data center guy we had who looked like that, but was the nicest guy in the group. Even scored an extra part in a Richar Pryor movie I think.

No, Brian was a NH boy for years, including college. Only ever worked in Boston and NH.

Your post made me think of Erland Van Lidth, though, who played Grossberger in a Pryor/Wilder film and looked a bit like Brian.

http://bavatuesdays....ger-and-dynamo/

Edited by skullguise