Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

That looks fun, got a schematic?  I love my HD800 out of a DIY version of Doug's L2 amp and sorta agree with the dynamic-er o2 comment.

No schematic, unfortunately.  It is custom made, but I don't think there are too many crazy surprises.  A very conventional circuit, if I remember correctly.  In any case, it is simply a dual-mono, cap-coupled (in this case, Jensen paper-in-oil, but I would like to get some audionote silver caps) 6SN7 driving 300B into some output transformers.  If I am right, I think the power supply is rather heavy-duty with lots of filtering.  Basically, it is really over-built, with good power, into a pretty traditional audio circuit, using very good parts.  I am pretty ignorant, but are there a lot of different kinds of circuits involving 6SN7s and 300Bs with cap and OPT?  In other words, are there a bunch of different ways to implement these parts, all with different sounds?  It sounds quite good to me.  I asked the guy who built it if it would be a good idea to direct-couple the amp with an interstage transformer.  He advised against it.  He said there was no guarantee it would sound better, and, more importantly, no guarantee I would like the sound better.  He basically advised me against a job that would put another $2K in his pocket.  I thought that was good advice.  And I think it is a truism that if you like something, it isn't necessarily advisable to go looking for something better. 

As it is right now, it is not the be-all-end-all in resolution.  I think a cap upgrade (AudioNote silver foil in oil) and a tube upgrade (Takatsuki 300B) will push the resolution.  I don't have time to have it all done right now, however, as I am moving out of NYC.  The 300B upgrade will not be a problem.  The Yen finally hit 100 recently, maybe now is the time.  But the cap upgrade will require some doing. 

It's a really beautiful build.

I am pretty ignorant, but are there a lot of different kinds of circuits involving 6SN7s and 300Bs with cap and OPT?  In other words, are there a bunch of different ways to implement these parts, all with different sounds?

Ask 10 designers how to build an amp with those parts, and you might get 20 designs. 9 of them will give you the same design, and one will give you 11 different ones. The point being that if this is a "traditional" amp, then what the schematic looks like is probably pretty easy to deduce, but there are lots of ways of tinkering with the details.

Hey John,

That amp is looking good as ever.How is it going?

Hey Tom, Jimmy, all you guys...

Glad you are all into the aesthetics of the amp! 

I'm doing good, Tom!  Digging the HD800.  Still running the Emm Labs DCC2 (from way back).  I wonder how much digital has progressed in the last few years....  

Would you be interested in getting some Takatsuki 300Bs with me for your 300SEI?  Are you still running the SEI?  I might order them in the next week or so.  Always interested in the gear you are running.  Is your collection still as extensive as it ever was?  Mine is very pared down but maybe I am looking to upgrade my DAC.  

While Reks has it right for the most part, I would have to add that the DCC2 is limited by its age.  I have used mine for many years also, but recently replaced it with the Playback Designs MPS-5 that handles computer input, higher res PCM and of course DSD.  PD was founded by a couple of former EMM Labs guys, and the sound is similar but better, imo.  Check it out, John.  I am going to off-load my EMM labs combo and will probably replace my Amarra 4 DAC in my other system with a PD also, but maybe the DAC without the SACD player.  Note, that if you opt for the DAC only you can later upgrade to add the player, so there is some flexibility.

in my experience, the absolute best sound now isn't much different from the absolute best sound from 10 years ago, but it's a lot cheaper to get that sound.  i still use a Audio Aero Capitole Mk II from 2002, and it sounds fantastic.  if it died tomorrow, i'd get a Benchmark DAC-2 or a NAD M51, but i don't think either is actually as good as the Cap.  close enough, though, and relatively inexpensive.

While Reks has it right for the most part, I would have to add that the DCC2 is limited by its age.  I have used mine for many years also, but recently replaced it with the Playback Designs MPS-5 that handles computer input, higher res PCM and of course DSD.  PD was founded by a couple of former EMM Labs guys, and the sound is similar but better, imo.  Check it out, John.  I am going to off-load my EMM labs combo and will probably replace my Amarra 4 DAC in my other system with a PD also, but maybe the DAC without the SACD player.  Note, that if you opt for the DAC only you can later upgrade to add the player, so there is some flexibility.

Interesting, Reks, Al.  This Playback Designs stuff is intriguing.  I will research.  Al, I thought you had some really SOTA EMM stuff.  Updated black badge SE versions... I am running an original one!  With the old blue and red badge.  PM me with the info re: unloading your EMM stuff.  I might be interested.  I am using a Toslink cable to my DCC2 from my Macbook Pro.  Alternative inputs (I guess USB would be the main one) would be nice, too.  The power supply in my EMM redbook transport crapped out long ago and I can't get it fixed because their support is not so great...  Now it is about $1K in parts that sits in a box.  Soon to become landfill.  I just can't seem to let myself toss it. 

Sorry for hijacking this thread.  This will be my last post (I hope) that does not directly pertain to the HD800.  Which is what I am mainly interested in right now anyway. 

Hey Tom, Jimmy, all you guys...

Glad you are all into the aesthetics of the amp! 

I'm doing good, Tom!  Digging the HD800.  Still running the Emm Labs DCC2 (from way back).  I wonder how much digital has progressed in the last few years....  

Would you be interested in getting some Takatsuki 300Bs with me for your 300SEI?  Are you still running the SEI?  I might order them in the next week or so.  Always interested in the gear you are running.  Is your collection still as extensive as it ever was?  Mine is very pared down but maybe I am looking to upgrade my DAC.  

I may sell the 300Sei,I have been pairing down my gear.I am onthe list for the Eddie current 2a3 Levithen amp though.I am still running the emmlabs Dac6e/CDSD setup.If I sell the 300sei I have a extra backup pair of WE300bs#I may sell.

I haven't been following headphone-related stuff in the past few months but didn't Sennheiser slightly change the tuning of the later editions of the HD800? I know a friend who sold his 2009 version to get the latest because he swears that the newer version has a more prominent bass and less upper-mid peak. 

They might have or it is just normal unit to unit variation.  Sennheiser would never publicize any design changes though, even when they are quite severe.  Has Tyll done any tests on this? 

So the output impedance of the new Sennheiser amps has been measured...  43ohm.  Not really surprised but I guess it is time to knock up some adapters and try this value out. 

So the output impedance of the new Sennheiser amps has been measured...  43ohm.  Not really surprised but I guess it is time to knock up some adapters and try this value out. 

A transformer coupled tube amp with a 300R secondary is likely going to be right in this ball park.

Sennheiser just uses what ever they have around.  The Eternal Arts amps are made by ex-Senn staff (i.e. the HEV90 team) so they have used those plus ever so mediocre Lehmann stuff. 

I just whipped up an adapter and the effect is less severe than my old 120ohm version.  I'm throwing all the crappiest stuff I have in my playlist at them and the top end is more subdued but still a bit too hot.  The biggest annoyance is in the bass though, a bit too lumpy and thick.  This is driven from a Dynalo with 42.9ohm resistors.  

What could be messing with my findings is coming straight off my highly modified HE60-BHSE combo. 

This has been in the back of my head -- this build reminds me of one of my favorite builds I've seen.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/tubes-valves/144849d1256750797-photo-gallery-dsc_0617.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0617.JPG

Gorgeous build. Any linky?

What's up with the 2.5KV big bottle transmitting triode?

Is it being used as a rectifier?  Looks to be a SE output tube.

Found this:

post-2625-0-31972700-1368475827_thumb.jp

Edited by livewire