Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Ken,

Too tired to get anything done tonight, just semi-packed up all the temporary heating gear. Left it convenient enough that if I have to set it up again it won't take very long but the wife shouldn't freak out too bad when she gets home.

Haj,

I was certainly psyched when it came back. While I was gone today my parents came down to watch the house for a while said one of the local cops stopped by to see if we were ok and to give out some info regarding shelters and such. My dad asked him if he'd heard anything about when power might be restored, he said from what he was hearing Monday to Wednesday. I guess things are going better than expected around here which is nice. I've heard rumors of towns west of here where the power company is referring to the repairs in terms like "rebuilding the entire infrastructure". :eek:

And I didn't take many pictures but here are a few.

This tree used to be normal looking and a good 10' taller.

107025557.jpg

(apologies for the extreme over-exposure)

The back yard to show the entire forest coated in ice.

107025558.jpg

I'd say the average thickness of ice on things was ~3/8".

107025559.jpg

This was not an uncommon sight, even on my way home tonight a full 2 days after the end of the storm.

107025560.jpg

27zfbeo.jpg

Also, as usual, my concerns are trivial compared to what other Head-Casers are facing. I hope you escape your predicament unscathed, Nate. I had to help a friend who had pipes burst in his house, and it was an unmitigated disaster. It sounds like you've been keeping a close eye on things and taking the necessary steps to protect your house from freezing.

My father, who was an eccentric and paranoid man, put an 800lb Nashua stove in my the basement of this house when he bought it. The sole purpose of the stove is to keep the pipes from freezing during a prolonged power outage. I have never fired it myself. It's big enough to burn bodies. evilgrin0023.gif

I got up this morning and cleaned out the fridge (thankfully it was pretty empty anyway) and figured I drive over to the local dodo's for some coffee (no cream in house). 2 miles away there's still no power and some roads are still closed with wires and tress across them. So I count myself very lucky to be cozy right now.

Nice purchase Jack, I too will be curious to see what you end up thinking of it compared to 840C.

I got up this morning and cleaned out the fridge (thankfully it was pretty empty anyway) and figured I drive over to the local dodo's for some coffee (no cream in house). 2 miles away there's still no power and some roads are still closed with wires and tress across them. So I count myself very lucky to be cozy right now.

Nice purchase Jack, I too will be curious to see what you end up thinking of it compared to 840C.

Glad all is well with you nato. :)

As stressful as loosing power in an ice storm can be, it's it also kind of magical[sic] and wonderful too? The few times I've lost power for long stretches of time it made me drop all of the filters I've had towards the world and see it like I did when I was a child, like it was new and fascinating.

As stressful as loosing power in an ice storm can be, it's it also kind of magical[sic] and wonderful too? The few times I've lost power for long stretches of time it made me drop all of the filters I've had towards the world and see it like I did when I was a child, like it was new and fascinating.

You're so artsy and shit.

Stay home and stay warm Nate! A nice hot soldering iron in your hand might be just the right thing! [Mike paid me to say that. :rolleyes:]

I don't know, all I was thinking was how to keep my water pipes from bursting if the power doesn't come back on (came back after ~24 hours of outage) and also trying to figure out where to stay to keep warm.