Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

I like everything about the 8GB Sansa Clip+ (plus 8GB microsdhc) except the short battery life and time it takes to "refresh the media" every time I turn it on. It is nice and small and cheap though.

Yeah its been nice so far. I love that a brand new rig like this can be bought for ~$100 shipped online. (Clip+ for $25, PX-100-II for $59, 8GB microsdhc for $14)

I like everything about the 8GB Sansa Clip+ (plus 8GB microsdhc) except the short battery life and time it takes to "refresh the media" every time I turn it on. It is nice and small and cheap though.

It shouldn't need to refresh the media if you haven't updated the filesystem / unmounted / mounted / changed the msdhc card. One solution to the battery life is to carry 2 and treat the second (charged) player as you spare battery :) or fire up the 2nd machine so it can "refresh the media" before you need to listen to it . Voila - double the capacity !

I've read Raw Spirit, and if you ignore the bullshit pinko political gobshite which fills the first part of the book (and pops up again once or twice later on) it's quite fun.

And yes, the non Frank Herbert Dune books vary from "Dan Brown" levels of badness all the way down into "like snorting dissicated horse shit and having a dwarf stab you in the eye with wasabi.". However I've read all fo them so far, so I'm sucked in by default now.

Yeah, I read the full range of Frank Herbert Dune books -- and that is a slog eventually -- and then went into the first couple Herbert the Younger books because they were a fun throw-back to the earlier true Dune books. Maybe I'll pick up a couple more but I read for pleasure so seldom that I have quite a backlog....

Recent cocktail-related purchases:

Aviation gin, Curacao of Curacao, Bonal quinquina, Firelit coffee liqueur, Drambui, Benedictine, Chartreuse, strainer spoon, absinthe spoon

Beer purchases:

One each Brewdog Paradox and Tokio and two Sierra Nevada 30th Anniv. bock.

Daughter's birthday present from us and both sets of grandparents:

Canon Rebel EOS T2i with 18-55mm zoom, Canon 50mm 1.8 (to be shared with me :) ), 4GB hi-speed card, UV filters. She is a good photographer and is taking a couple more classes, but I admit this is over the top for a 15 year old. We can be Canon people together and share lenses and such, so that will be a fun father/daughter side benefit.

It shouldn't need to refresh the media if you haven't updated the filesystem / unmounted / mounted / changed the msdhc card. One solution to the battery life is to carry 2 and treat the second (charged) player as you spare battery :) or fire up the 2nd machine so it can "refresh the media" before you need to listen to it . Voila - double the capacity !

Good idea for the spare "battery."

Mine sometimes takes a while to start up and says "refreshing media" or something like that even if I haven't changed anything and sometimes it starts up right away (perhaps this is always after a recharge - I haven't paid too much attention - which would explain a lot). My husband's always takes about a minute to start up no matter what - it doesn't say "refreshing media," just has the Sansa symbol on the screen like it it frozen but it you wait it will go to the menu (think he has a 4GB Clip+).